Windows 11 available on October 5

It's an OS that was released last week, and Microsoft and AMD have already committed to fixing it by next week. That's actually lightning-fast for most companies, and if anything, evidence that they are both taking this quite seriously. In the meantime, I'm still not seeing any major slowdowns on my 5900X even after updating to 22000.258, so I won't be crying myself to sleep at night because I have to wait one week for the patch.

Although it does make me wonder how much the performance impact varies from CPU to CPU. Obviously the L3 cache issue affects all Ryzen CPUs, but as far as not selecting the preferred core(s) goes, it seems only logical to assume that this would have a bigger impact on CPUs that have a bigger variance between their best and worst cores. My 5900X does not seem to have as big of a variation between cores as I've seen others have.

It's an OS that was released last week, and Microsoft and AMD have already committed to fixing it by next week. That's actually lightning-fast for most companies, and if anything, evidence that they are both taking this quite seriously. In the meantime, I'm still not seeing any major slowdowns on my 5900X even after updating to 22000.258, so I won't be crying myself to sleep at night because I have to wait one week for the patch.

Although it does make me wonder how much the performance impact varies from CPU to CPU. Obviously the L3 cache issue affects all Ryzen CPUs, but as far as not selecting the preferred core(s) goes, it seems only logical to assume that this would have a bigger impact on CPUs that have a bigger variance between their best and worst cores. My 5900X does not seem to have as big of a variation between cores as I've seen others have.

Of course YOU won't be crying about it. That was not the point, someone asked and I answered if it was confirmed. You may not care but others do and nobody said they weren't looking into it.

That was not the point, someone asked and I answered if it was confirmed.

The only post before yours that was actually from this week was from ng4ever, and the link he posted was in reference to Windows 11 CPU requirements, not anything having to do with the current AMD issue. So you'll have to excuse me if I missed "the point" of your post.

you can install on those systems from an ISO but not from their media creation tool and not from windows update. Also they have a pretty solid disclaimer that they make no promises about stability, performance, nor security when running Windows 11 on that hardware.
Do they make such promises on their official install? haha sorry just had to :p

The hurt is real! I really can’t even game on my system right now. In fortnite for example I’ll be running 165fps (the limit I have set in the options) and it will drop to 60fps. This happens every few seconds regardless of what quality settings I have set. I installed the latest update before I saw it make performance worse. I’m not sure how ms and amd didn’t know about this months ago. No one tested games on windows 11 before launch?

https://hardforum.com/threads/win-11-l3-aida64.2014506/#post-1045163696

The hurt is real! I really can’t even game on my system right now. In fortnite for example I’ll be running 165fps (the limit I have set in the options) and it will drop to 60fps. This happens every few seconds regardless of what quality settings I have set. I installed the latest update before I saw it make performance worse. I’m not sure how ms and amd didn’t know about this months ago. No one tested games on windows 11 before launch?

https://hardforum.com/threads/win-11-l3-aida64.2014506/#post-1045163696
No, we Insiders did. This issue has been reported in the Feedback Hub for at least 2 months now. But like many things that get reported in the Feedback Hub, we got no real updates on the situation. I honestly wonder why they even have the Feedback Hub because it seems they don't really look at anything in it.

Feedback Hub probably allows them to get some type of quality certification or some much nonsense. They clearly don't actually care about anything in it. What's funny is when you actually find a FH entry with an official reply. In every single case I've seen, the official MS reply involves something different from the actual reported issue.

Why would anyone install a beta version of Windows without waiting for at least a year of patches? This should be common sense by now, then again I am old enough to have used every version of Windows since 3.0.

I'm not a programmer by any means.. and can barely spell it lol .. but would this fall into where Windows used to be developed by utilizing "Waterfall methodology" versus now "Agile methodology" is used?

Why would anyone install a beta version of Windows without waiting for at least a year of patches?

When part of your job is supporting other systems then it's quite helpful to become accustomed to the new UI and all it's various quirks as early as possible. When you work with tech, you have to stay ahead of the tech. Sticking your head in the sand isn't really an option.

If you've become old and jaded and are now afraid of potentially having to fix your own computer occasionally, then yeah, you should probably stick with an older OS.

, then again I am old enough to have used every version of Windows since 3.0.
I beta tested every early Windows release through 3.11 for Workgroups and the inital version of NT. I kinda miss getting boxes of 3.5" floppies from MS. Ahh, the good old days.

when i ran retail copies i waited 6 months. since i started in IT i run the beta/insiders to stay "ahead of the curve", since xp.

cswdjx2zcft71.jpg

Before diving headfirst into the shallow end of the pool use Acronis to make a system backup. then flash back to good working state at will.

Floppies! Ugh! I don't miss installing Office 95 that's for sure! Not just a long time but swapping disks. And had some noisy ass CHINON drives that sounded like someone was inside the drive with an oscillating tool cutting on something...

yes, but shouldnt amd have done some internal testing on this? this should be all up to the insiders to find.
Whoa there friend. Never disparage AMD, especially on these forums. Remember that AMD is here to save us from big bad Intel and tyrannous Nvidia.
Stop.

First, let's see if there's some way we can blame this on Intel first, then Nvidia. Then Microsoft. Then you. Nothing is ever AMDs fault, especially when it comes to AMD products.
See, this guy gets it.

Back