Windows 11 available on October 5

Of all the major Window releases I've ever tried, Windows 11 has to be the most stable, ready to go at launch. Still has issues such as Ryzen but overall Microsoft did good here. Have 3 computers with Windows 11, all AMD rigs and all are running great OS wise. Debating pushing it on one Intel rig, probably not unless I sell the Vega's off due to using older AMD drivers for mining.

I though the Ryzen L3 cache issue was fixed yesterday (not sure, I have Intel on my Win 11 box).

I'd say let's revisit this response in a year or so... Windows 11 has been out for one whopping MS patch Tuesday cycle 🤣

I don't claim to be able to predict the future, and I think that anyone who uses a bypass to install an OS knows that there are risks involved. But there are also some things that are obvious and very much common sense. Like the fact that Microsoft doesn't benefit in any way, shape, or form from having a bunch of un-patched Windows 11 computers out in the wild. Even if they are not fond of people installing on unsupported hardware, I guarantee they are even less fond of the idea of those computers spreading viruses/malware or giving them bad press after a security incident. It would be far more work for them to withhold security updates on a selective basis than it is for them to simply allow security updates for everyone. This is the same reason why even non-activated Windows installs still receive security updates.

The only thing that is still up in the air at this point is what will happen when the next big feature update is released. Feature updates will be released for Windows 11 once per year (as opposed to once every 6 months as has been the case with Windows 10).

If we assume the worst case scenario, that feature updates will actually be blocked from unsupported systems, then it's still not all that bleak.
-Windows 11 versions are supported for 24 months. That means even if you never install a future feature update, the current version of Windows 11 will still receive security updates until October 2023.
-You can download the ISO for the new version of Windows 11 (that will include the new feature update) and use the exact same workarounds to install that as you used to install Windows 11 in the first place - anyone smart enough to do it once should be able to do it again once per year without too much grief...

Will you be able to (for example) disable the TPM in the BIOS? I would guess for prebuilts the answer could well be "no". I wonder about standalone components.

You can disable TPM after Windows 11 is installed and it will boot up and run fine. Whether this option (to disable TPM in the bios) will still be available in pre-built computers is anyone's guess but I don't see any huge reason for them to remove the option. The biggest change I notice is that BIOS updates for many boards now switch the default setting for TPM from Off to On.

I though the Ryzen L3 cache issue was fixed yesterday (not sure, I have Intel on my Win 11 box).

22000.282 on the beta channel fixes the L3 cache issue, but there is also the core selection bug which is going to be fixed on AMD's side. For me personally, upgrading to the 22000.282 beta introduced more issues than it fixed so I'd recommend holding off on that for now. Both Microsoft and AMD have committed to fixing both issues before the end of October.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

Last edited:
this was from a couple days agao:

"AMD had released a statement on social media stating that patches for the two issues have been developed, and will be released soon. The patch for the Preferred Cores (UEFI-CPPC2) bug will be released on the 21st of October, while the L3 cache latency bug will be fixed via a future Windows Update scheduled to roll out on the 19th of October." <<---this update seemed to just be the beta channel, so id think next week-ish. i dont think, with all the screeching, that they'd want to wait until "patch tues" next month.

I hoped the L3 beta patch would roll out to everyone else yesterday, but no luck. I don't really want to be on the Beta ring if I can help it. Hopefully they'll push it out tomorrow (along with AMD's patch) or at least by next week.

Yeah, I don't like messing with beta either. For something this important, they will probably push right away. There are always smaller updates that come outside of Patch Tuesday.

Okay, so I'm installing Windows 11 on this new low-end mini PC I got. Obviously it doesn't have TPM or Secure Boot or anything like that. I'm using a USB stick.

After entering my key, it says this PC is not supported. I found you can open a command prompt, then open regedit, and create these two specially named keys. Then the install will continue.

But that is like 1% of 1% of the population that would even know or be comfortable doing that. MS knows what they are doing. They'll let us install it, but for 99.9% of people, they will be stuck buying a new PC.

Reactions: Wat
like this
https://www.neowin.net/news/android-apps-on-windows-11-preview-announced-for-windows-insiders/

At least it seems like Android app support might not be that far off. With so many of MS's new apps being pretty weak, I look forward to (hopefully) using Google's Gmail, Calendar, etc. apps instead.
Multimedia is where I really, really want something new, though. Outside of Netflix, the Windows streaming apps are junk. And that assumes they even exist. There aren't any apps for services like ESPN, Discovery, HBO Max, etc.
A limited version of the Amazon Appstore is now available for testing in the Beta channel. Though, I don't know how long you might be waiting to see any Google apps, and media streaming support I think is an open question, at this point. However, what I've tested on my Surface Go 2 (Core m3 dual core) tablet seems to function pretty smoothly, apart from noticeably sluggish, but tolerable, window resizing.

They'll let us install it, but for 99.9% of people, they will be stuck buying a new PC.
Any reasonably new system that supports the requirements will offer you the upgrade. I picked up a Zephyrus G14 at the beginning of the year and Windows Update said the system meets the requirement.

those are the people that only upgrade windows when they replace a system, thats it, so shouldnt be an issue.
Yea most people don't go out their way to upgrade windows. Most wouldn't even so much as update anything if it wasn't automatic. I could see a lot still be on windows 8 still if 10 wasn't pushed to evey computer.

I've often wondered how many copies of Windows are sold via normal retail means vs. systems that come bundled with the OS. Well, that and bulk licenses so an entire company can upgrade via their IT department. I remember lots of people buying disks and upgrading their home PC's to Windows 95/98, but I don't know any casual users who have done that in many, many years.

Right. Casual users don't buy OSes. I doubt the retail sales are that significant for Microsoft.

Wow 16 cores! Is it 16C/32T?
I have the X570 AORUS Elite board non WiFi version (I got the M.2 module from another dead Gigabyte board but this board does not have the M.2 slot so what $0.01 saved)
Bixby LoL I hate the Samsung Bixby on their Galaxy phones not the same Bixby (I hope)

Where did you get the non beta version?

I'm pretty sure Windows 11 is Frankenstein code that is really running on DOS.

Probably LoL!

lol ok. it wasnt really "in" 10 either. are 25ish single click taskbar icons not enough?!
I have them all on because I'm weird. It does bother me that I have to manually enable them all now instead of doing it by default. I usually do it so I can always see what's supposed to be running and what's not, and then them off accordingly. Oh well.

what did you do to enable it?! not right click and turn it on....
ps: i know how to turn it on, its not "included" in the normal sense.
I went the add a new tool bar path. I would say that it is "included" in the normal sense. I'm not hacking the registry to add it, I'm using the task bar feature that lets you add a tool bar to the task bar.

Okay, so I'm installing Windows 11 on this new low-end mini PC I got. Obviously it doesn't have TPM or Secure Boot or anything like that. I'm using a USB stick.

After entering my key, it says this PC is not supported. I found you can open a command prompt, then open regedit, and create these two specially named keys. Then the install will continue.

But that is like 1% of 1% of the population that would even know or be comfortable doing that. MS knows what they are doing. They'll let us install it, but for 99.9% of people, they will be stuck buying a new PC.
If you used the Media Creation tool then you have to do a lot of stuff to make that work on unsupported hardware, if you download the ISO and create your own bootable USB with something like Rufus then you should be able to do it. But check the Mini PC, a whole crapload of the cheap ones shipped with 32bit UEFI BIOSes on 64-bit chips to save costs and that really messes with the bootloaders.

Anyone figure out how to hide the volume/speaker icon? (policy doesn't exist, as so in previous versions)

No, I just asked if I could still enable the Quick Launch in Windows 11. I didn't say anything about how it was being enabled until I was questioned by you.

Don't upset the fan boys...or you'll be labeled a hater.

im not shilling shit. i said the stupid bar thing wasnt included in 10 and it turned into a shit show.

I'm talking in general in Win 11 threads...quite obvious with you and another member. Well for those paying attention. I'll let you have the last insult if it makes you feel better.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-3-10-08-506

Here's AMD's new chipset driver, which fixes the CPPC2 issues

EDIT: Looks like KB5006746 is rolling out to everyone right now, too. With some luck, AMD Ryzen users should be good to go now.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they really tried to align the two releases. When I upgraded to 22000.282 while it was in beta, while still using the older chipset drivers, it caused me to get weird pausing/crashing in many DX12 games. The 22000.282 released today is the exact same build that was previously released to the beta channel. 22000.258 was slower because of the L3 cache issue but was not giving me any of the pausing/crashing. Installing the new AMD drivers on 22000.282 instantly resolved all issues I was having. I would definitely recommend installing the chipset drivers right after you upgrade to 22000.282.

I don't think you understand the term troll but OK.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Troll
Someone who deliberatly pisses people off online to get a reaction

You come in here, contribute nothing other than your bad attitude toward those of us having a productive conversation. I'd say "Troll" describes you to a T.

Not saying that I'm surprised. Hiding in a bunker for a few weeks and then popping your head out just to shitpost is pretty much exactly what I expected from you.

Sit down kid, the adults are having a conversation.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they really tried to align the two releases. When I upgraded to 22000.282 while it was in beta, while still using the older chipset drivers, it caused me to get weird pausing/crashing in many DX12 games. The 22000.282 released today is the exact same build that was previously released to the beta channel. 22000.258 was slower because of the L3 cache issue but was not giving me any of the pausing/crashing. Installing the new AMD drivers on 22000.282 instantly resolved all issues I was having. I would definitely recommend installing the chipset drivers right after you upgrade to 22000.282.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Troll

You come in here, contribute nothing other than your bad attitude toward those of us having a productive conversation. I'd say "Troll" describes you to a T.

Not saying that I'm surprised. Hiding in a bunker for a few weeks and then popping your head out just to shitpost is pretty much exactly what I expected from you.

Sit down kid, the adults are having a conversation.

Just like I thought the other MS Schill enters that chat. Productive does not mean hating on everybody that has a negative opinion or questions what MS is doing with Win 11. GTFO if you can't take it or prepare to get your precious little feelings hurt when someone says something bad about Win 11. I thought both of you were going to put me on ignore...just more bullshit I guess.

They have too, the problem is a 2 part issue.
Microsoft made substantial changes to the schedular to fix some last-minute security issues that were discovered, which in turn broke the CPPCv2 drivers that AMD had developed for the beta, I don't know the specifics but I recall it having something to do with AMD's P-states and they fixed that but broke some other stuff in the process.

lol ok. it wasnt really "in" 10 either. are 25ish single click taskbar icons not enough?!
So apparently you can just drag the icon to the arrow and it will unhide it. This alleviates the pain of having to click through a few settings at least.

Back