Windows 11 and Maximum CPU Frequency

Link

Gawd
While playing COD:CW in Windows 10, I noticed my 5950X clock speed doing 5ghz+ very often. Upon upgrading to Windows 11, I can't see 5ghz+ anymore. The highest clock speed I saw was 4.8ghz.
Is this a known issue with Windows 11? What can I do to resolve this issue, other than going back to Windows 10?

While playing COD:CW in Windows 10, I noticed my 5950X clock speed doing 5ghz+ very often. Upon upgrading to Windows 11, I can't see 5ghz+ anymore. The highest clock speed I saw was 4.8ghz.
Is this a known issue with Windows 11? What can I do to resolve this issue, other than going back to Windows 10?

There are some minor issues with AMD hardware and Windows 11 that are scheduled to be fixed before the end of the month. The issue is related to how tasks are assigned to various cores. Although the issue is not directly related to boost clocks, it might be that your clocks are not boosting as high because the load is not being distributed to the same cores as before. If this is the issue you are having, I think it would make more sense to wait a week or two than constantly switch windows versions. I have not personally seen any significant performance regression on my 5900X.

Also, trying to do comparisons using simple observation during a game is a losing battle. Too much potential for additional variables, not to mention placebo. You need to do comparisons during controlled testing, something like Cinebench or 3dmark that can be repeated with as few variables as possible.

There are some minor issues with AMD hardware and Windows 11 that are scheduled to be fixed before the end of the month. The issue is related to how tasks are assigned to various cores. Although the issue is not directly related to boost clocks, it might be that your clocks are not boosting as high because the load is not being distributed to the same cores as before. If this is the issue you are having, I think it would make more sense to wait a week or two than constantly switch windows versions. I have not personally seen any significant performance regression on my 5900X.

Also, trying to do comparisons using simple observation during a game is a losing battle. Too much potential for additional variables, not to mention placebo. You need to do comparisons during controlled testing, something like Cinebench or 3dmark that can be repeated with as few variables as possible.
I just read an article about a bug related to the "preferred core" feature. It seems like the reason I'm not seeing 5ghz+ clock speed anymore.

Yeah, there are issues with AMD's CPPC <> Win 11 scheduler and weird things going on with L3 cache (Win11 overusing it causing issues). I've learned to wait several months to a year before deciding to adopt a new version of Win ever since Win Vista, also their development methodology has just kept going down-hill ever since they "replaced" their in-house testing team with Windows Insider Program users.

I lost at least 10% performance with 11...I can wait a few weeks and hopefully no more

it's because like always, microsoft is in bed with intel. if you guys remember correctly win10 was suppose the be the LAST version of windows. prob the only reason win11 is a thing is because of intels sissy new "big little" processors. just like when amd's FX proc's came out. did you ever see MS even lift a finger to help amd? NO amd had to fix the OS for them and who knows, maybe hardware hyper-threading could have been the future if the tech had been adopted? it surely showed huge benifits in certain scenarios but a lot games where still being programmed to use intel, especially since back then no one knew they were compramising security to get a lead on the competition. and here we are with this crap. which is in a way the same difference to where the OS has to decide whether it's a benifit to run a particular configuration of the cores. but they'll make it work for intel. screw amd.

I've read some interesting reports on the CPPC <> Win 11 scheduler interaction/issue; apparently Win 11 does recognize the CPPC tags, but it'll intentionally throttle the cores [in use???] before/until a [heavier?] load is applied.

The L3 cache behavioral findings are equally odd, it seems like an intentional over-use case; it's not being throttled or forcibly put to sleep, it's just being over used with no real reason/indication as to why.

I'm not sure I believe it's an intentional snub at AMD, but things are definitely odd.

AMD has grown to 20%+ market share in desktop space, so it's not like AMD is such an edge case that MS can get away with saying there isn't enough of a user base or market to properly alpha and beta test their core mass-market consumer product.

The most charitable thing that can be said about the situation is Microsoft over-allocated resources to optimizing for Intel's big little and negligently forgot to check how this would affect AMD machines. I think most average home users that don't aggressively load times and fps statistics might not notice much except when Win 11 seems to stutter for some AMD users. But to the extent that Win 11 might somehow already being rolling out in Enterprise space, those Sysadmins must be furious at the added latency and lowered clock speeds.

This should not be AMD's responsibility to fix but Microsoft's, otherwise it feels like when Nvidia partnered with game companies to have software checks that would cripple the game when it did not find Nvidia hardware.

AMD has grown to 20%+ market share in desktop space, so it's not like AMD is such an edge case that MS can get away with saying there isn't enough of a user base or market to properly alpha and beta test their core mass-market consumer product.

The most charitable thing that can be said about the situation is Microsoft over-allocated resources to optimizing for Intel's big little and negligently forgot to check how this would affect AMD machines. I think most average home users that don't aggressively load times and fps statistics might not notice much except when Win 11 seems to stutter for some AMD users. But to the extent that Win 11 might somehow already being rolling out in Enterprise space, those Sysadmins must be furious at the added latency and lowered clock speeds.

This should not be AMD's responsibility to fix but Microsoft's, otherwise it feels like when Nvidia partnered with game companies to have software checks that would cripple the game when it did not find Nvidia hardware.
There are no enterprises that I'm aware of planning Win11 migrations yet; given support through 2025 for Win10, and the need for testing/validation/etc, they're planning on ~starting that~ late next year (after the major fall update), with ~possible~ early implementation on some systems in early 2023 (historically, VDI especially rolls faster now, and you do the fall update in early spring, since folks have worked out whatever MSFT broke by then).

There are no enterprises that I'm aware of planning Win11 migrations yet; given support through 2025 for Win10, and the need for testing/validation/etc, they're planning on ~starting that~ late next year (after the major fall update), with ~possible~ early implementation on some systems in early 2023 (historically, VDI especially rolls faster now, and you do the fall update in early spring, since folks have worked out whatever MSFT broke by then).
What are these enterprises going to do when they purchase new systems are delivered with Win 11?

What are these enterprises going to do when they purchase new systems are delivered with Win 11?
Presumably, they'll insist that it comes with older licenses instead. When Vista was rolled out you could get XP/ Vista disks. Similarly, well after 8 was rolled out, Dell offered Win 8 as the default with a no-cost "downgrade" to Win 7 pre-installed... I still have one of those disks.

They buy them with windows 10, or reimage them. Same thing they did when 8 and 10 and 7 came out.

Enterprise sales isn’t buying machines off of a web site. Hell, I could still do windows 7 back in 2018.

I doubt many enterprise use in a sentence with planning and migration in them run Dell-Hp version of the OS with all their bootware on them, with different version of OS depending of the vendors-when they were bought at the same time. Specially if sys-admin would be furious that their ryzen 5xxx boost at 4.8, 4.9 instead of 5.x on the fastest core type of scenario.

Are there a lot of enterprises that use the pre-installed OS? Most have their own standard image that they deploy. I've never worked at a large company that doesn't wait at least 1 year from the release of a new OS until they start re-imaging the computers. Typically they start small with a few test users and then increase the rollout frequency. Small businesses often have a different way of doing it, but enterprise segment is usually very slow and controlled rollout.

Connect it to a port on a vlan dedicated to WDS/SCCM, re-image it, add it to the domain… 1-2 hrs max.

Back