Windows 10 takes several minutes to Restart/Shut Down

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
So this has been frustrating me quite a bit the past year or so. Restarts/Shut downs take like 5 minutes to get past the blue windows 'Restarting.....' or 'Shutting Down....' screen. The progress circle just keeps circling. However, the system coming back on from sleep/hibernation is instant. Rebooting (via cold, or after restart) is also quick. Windows 10 (fully updated) is installed on an NVME with 20gb free.

What could be causing this issue? Why is it taking so long on this one step?

Specs:
I7-6700K, OC to 4.7
Gigabye Z170-HD30
AMD Ryzen 5700xt
2x8 DDR4 3600 ram
NVME (Win 10)
Two SATA SSD

Sounds like something in the startup folder and/or startup section of the Registry.
Whats task manager / Startup tab show?

So this has been frustrating me quite a bit the past year or so. Restarts/Shut downs take like 5 minutes to get past the blue windows 'Restarting.....' or 'Shutting Down....' screen. The progress circle just keeps circling. However, the system coming back on from sleep/hibernation is instant. Rebooting (via cold, or after restart) is also quick. Windows 10 (fully updated) is installed on an NVME with 20gb free.

What could be causing this issue? Why is it taking so long on this one step?

Specs:
I7-6700K, OC to 4.7
Gigabye Z170-HD30
AMD Ryzen 5700xt
2x8 DDR4 3600 ram
NVME (Win 10)
Two SATA SSD
Check that your network settings do not include anything special and try unplugging your USB devices before shutting down. If the delay disappears, you know what causes it.

Thanks all. So long story, for unrelatedly reasons I had to do a reset of my pc over the weekend. A complete reinstall of Windows 10, last time I did this was 5+ years ago? 10? Long ass time. Windows was kind enough to create a Removed Apps file on my desktop - 184 applications. I reinstalled a few of the things I needed, but most of them I didn't. Windows now restarts quickly now, and even more so because I then migrated it from my Samsung 840 SSD to an nvme drive.

shits quick now. thanks yall

Back