Windows 10 Pro Superkey?

ChadD agree with that, but most users should have very little control over their devices, users who have more than the control required to do their jobs are the ones who will break things, get infections, the list goes on, zero trust.....even on mac.

B00nie If you trust your users, sure give them wide open access to do what ever they want, depending on what industry you are in, that may be allowed. When you work for utility companies, government orgs and other sectors that have to meet stringent controls and compliance, Apple devices are not usually an option due to the lack of controls you have over the devices. Yes, times have changed, there are some great 3rd party apps out there to mimic a windows domain environment and give levels of control, but it is still not as refined as windows is, simply due to Windows being the standard for so dam long (not always a good thing we we know)
MacOS you need AV just as much as windows these days, solely relying on Apples built in scanner is silly, that was like relying on MS defender stand alone on windows years back, a single layer approach to security is asking to fail. The other items you list, are very job specific, most end users will never need a terminal or a unix file structure versus the specific job roles that do, in which case you look at exceptions for those people. I can open my Dell Lat 5410 and have my login screen before i adjust the screen angle...no slowness there, i can log in and be ready to use it, even though it has several security apps running on it due to the industry the client is in...sounds like you had to deal with pretty crappy under spec'd laptops. Many companies sadly do deal with that every day, they go cheap, get the lowest spec'd laptop not taking into consideration, not only the end users apps, but also the other apps used in the org to secure the device. This is not a Windows or OEM issues, this is a poorly made business decision when procuring devices.

...Slow response times, they can't use their workstations to basically anything....

That is an IT issue then as they did not allow the required access for someone to do their jobs.....IT is there to enable users to work effectively, but also keep the company secure. This has nothing to do with Windows vs macOS

We all know Apple has had it's share of failing hardware, it is not just a Dell/HP issue.Sure, failure rates are higher on OEM's like Dell and HP, purely due to sheer volume of units sold compared to any Apple devices.

I am not a windows fanboy by any means (I now run linux as my main home OS) but there are far too many security concerns these days, across ALL OS's to be giving users 100% control of their devices, this is because end users are the #1 cause of infection/exploit/compromised systems.

ChadD agree with that, but most users should have very little control over their devices, users who have more than the control required to do their jobs are the ones who will break things, get infections, the list goes on, zero trust.....even on mac.

B00nie If you trust your users, sure give them wide open access to do what ever they want, depending on what industry you are in, that may be allowed. When you work for utility companies, government orgs and other sectors that have to meet stringent controls and compliance, Apple devices are not usually an option due to the lack of controls you have over the devices. Yes, times have changed, there are some great 3rd party apps out there to mimic a windows domain environment and give levels of control, but it is still not as refined as windows is, simply due to Windows being the standard for so dam long (not always a good thing we we know)
MacOS you need AV just as much as windows these days, solely relying on Apples built in scanner is silly, that was like relying on MS defender stand alone on windows years back, a single layer approach to security is asking to fail. The other items you list, are very job specific, most end users will never need a terminal or a unix file structure versus the specific job roles that do, in which case you look at exceptions for those people. I can open my Dell Lat 5410 and have my login screen before i adjust the screen angle...no slowness there, i can log in and be ready to use it, even though it has several security apps running on it due to the industry the client is in...sounds like you had to deal with pretty crappy under spec'd laptops. Many companies sadly do deal with that every day, they go cheap, get the lowest spec'd laptop not taking into consideration, not only the end users apps, but also the other apps used in the org to secure the device. This is not a Windows or OEM issues, this is a poorly made business decision when procuring devices.

That is an IT issue then as they did not allow the required access for someone to do their jobs.....IT is there to enable users to work effectively, but also keep the company secure. This has nothing to do with Windows vs macOS

We all know Apple has had it's share of failing hardware, it is not just a Dell/HP issue.Sure, failure rates are higher on OEM's like Dell and HP, purely due to sheer volume of units sold compared to any Apple devices.

I am not a windows fanboy by any means (I now run linux as my main home OS) but there are far too many security concerns these days, across ALL OS's to be giving users 100% control of their devices, this is because end users are the #1 cause of infection/exploit/compromised systems.
I was talking about my personal preferences with the terminal emulator naturally. A large part of my work is handling headless linux servers so I find it extremely comfortable to be able to use the terminal natively.

The problem with Windows is that the internet is so full of Windows attacks that users cannot be allowed to do basically anything with it or the machine will get infected in a couple of days. I've seen even corporate locked down Windows with malware and PUP running, customer tries to do work and 80% of his resources are already in use with antivirus and PUP eating up his ram and cpu and fans are screaming... Naturally even OSX needs an antivirus (I've never detected an OSX malware or virus so far though) but even there the OS works differently. I don't get annoyed of the antivirus, it just exists.

Many times our projects are delayed by weeks or months because the customer side IT has been outsourced and a simple firewall configuration seems like climbing up a mountain. Some of the customers have to have their app installs and firewall changes approved in another country lol. That makes everything extremely rigid and clumsy. Users need a tool and they're ready to start using it, but they can't. Often they have to fill up questionnaires and go through all kinds of hoops to get a simple thing done.

B00nie I have to say i can relate, working with clients and those types of restrictions and limitations, while I understand many of them, you do often have to think, there must be a better way!! Even myself who is a DA at several clients due to the work I do, the laptops they provide me I am locked down, and even being a DA, I am not allowed to add tools to the system, has to be done via a process to the service desk, app white listing, et cetera, even for something like putty......So days later I am sitting twiddling my thumbs because i can not work efficiently...

Since when did Microsoft start making the law? You people are truly clueless. :p
Companies have been fined pretty heft for using pirated or keys that were not properly obtained or used for their intended purposes (OEM / MSDN / TechNet) via MS audits or someone ratting them out, Sure, home users, MS could likely give 2 craps so long as you are on Windows 10 feeding them all your data..

Companies have been fined pretty heft for using pirated or keys that were not properly obtained or used for their intended purposes (OEM / MSDN / TechNet) via MS audits or someone ratting them out, Sure, home users, MS could likely give 2 craps so long as you are on Windows 10 feeding them all your data..
Yep personal use its not legal but MS isn't going to chase you no... they simply can't make windows free cause it would make it hard to chase down a small company that buys 100 retail dell machines with windows freebie edition on them.
I know of Microsoft doing license audits on school divisions. lol Make no mistake they go after companies for not properly licensing windows all the time.

Its like the old days with the warnings on the VHS tapes... no the FBI wasn't going to bust down your door for copying your Aunties copy of dirty dancing. However if you decide to make 1,000 copies and sell them at the swap meet you might possibly end up in trouble. Yes yes you can find $20 keys from someone selling their employers volume license keys... you can fine people recycling old OEM keys (and in some countries that may not even be against any rules)... you can even find people selling key generated keys that may well activate without issue. Just don't kid yourself is all most of us are saying. Its no different then downloading key gen and a activation service hack that sets a enterprise activation server to 0.0.0.0

So ya I'm saying if your going to steal windows just fucking steal windows. Don't convince yourself its on the up and up cause your $10 key didn't get shut down at install. lol All your doing is making some asshole in the middle rich... and they might even get away with it if MS doesn't catch em.

Yep personal use its not legal but MS isn't going to chase you no... they simply can't make windows free cause it would make it hard to chase down a small company that buys 100 retail dell machines with windows freebie edition on them.
I know of Microsoft doing license audits on school divisions. lol Make no mistake they go after companies for not properly licensing windows all the time.

Its like the old days with the warnings on the VHS tapes... no the FBI wasn't going to bust down your door for copying your Aunties copy of dirty dancing. However if you decide to make 1,000 copies and sell them at the swap meet you might possibly end up in trouble. Yes yes you can find $20 keys from someone selling their employers volume license keys... you can fine people recycling old OEM keys (and in some countries that may not even be against any rules)... you can even find people selling key generated keys that may well activate without issue. Just don't kid yourself is all most of us are saying. Its no different then downloading key gen and a activation service hack that sets a enterprise activation server to 0.0.0.0

So ya I'm saying if your going to steal windows just fucking steal windows. Don't convince yourself its on the up and up cause your $10 key didn't get shut down at install. lol All your doing is making some asshole in the middle rich... and they might even get away with it if MS doesn't catch em.
As others pointed, MS doesn't really care if consumers pirate windows. They keep their dominant market position and rip consumers off their privacy for marketing income so it's a win-win situation for them.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back