Windows 10 not allowing me to login

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I was trying to allow remote registry access! Probably what caused this or maybe not?
Anyway I clicked on Computer after and it would not allow me with some explorer.exe error, so I killed the explorer process and tried to open another one which failed.

I went to restart also failed so I pressed the reset button and now I can't logon I see the screen but no password (I use a PIN) box or even my name!

I tried to do recovery but it says my password is incorrect (I used my Live account password and even tried my PIN neither work).

Using the USB drive it says it can't find a valid Windows installation (Damn Microsoft!)

Anyway how can I fix this short of a full reinstall which is a PITA as this is my main PC (The Ryzen 7 in my signature line)

Thanks

Attachments

• Win10_Login_Issues.jpg
    Win10_Login_Issues.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
reboot and then interupt booting twice to get startup repair going, see if it find something to fix. if it gets you to the advanced start up options see if you can get into safemode.

reboot and then interupt booting twice to get startup repair going, see if it find something to fix. if it gets you to the advanced start up options see if you can get into safemode.
I did this but it tells me my password is incorrect I tried both my PIN (No not PIN Number that is redundant as the N is Number LoL) and my Live account password
I can't get to safe mode either as my keyboard does not work to press # 4 or 5 why? The motherboard has no PS/2 ports so USB only
I tried a normal (No fancy back lights or USB Hubs) USB keyboard as well (on a USB 2 port)

I did this but it tells me my password is incorrect I tried both my PIN (No not PIN Number that is redundant as the N is Number LoL) and my Live account password
I can't get to safe mode either as my keyboard does not work to press # 4 or 5 why? The motherboard has no PS/2 ports so USB only
I tried a normal (No fancy back lights or USB Hubs) USB keyboard as well (on a USB 2 port)
make sure your m/kb are in the top most ports. do you have a usb installer made?
for shits and gigs, press ctrl+alt+del at the login screen

do you have a usb installer made?
Yes, although not the same one (Same Windows version 21H1) I used to install on this PC I don't know if that matters though?
I'll try the "3 key salute" and see if that does anything
If not I'll guess I'll just use a Linux ISO and get what I can off of the SSD and I will certainly remember to disable my other drives this time LoL!

What exactly did you do to allow remote registry? Did you also change any registry keys? You should be able to boot (off USB) to a recovery console where you can open regedit for your Windows install and revert any changes you made.

Bummer you don't have an image backup. You know that Macrium Reflect is free for home use.

When I was using Windows 7, I use a CD that you can boot from which would allow you to change the password and give you access to your system. I don't know if they have that for 10.

What exactly did you do to allow remote registry? Did you also change any registry keys? You should be able to boot (off USB) to a recovery console where you can open regedit for your Windows install and revert any changes you made.

I'm back but I had to do a Format C: :) LoL!
Anyway I did the permissions of each branch I added my name (on my Microsoft Live Account) and did "read"
I don't know exactly how do edit the security properties or what each item means, I guess I should have went in the other room and just exported the key I needed to my network or USB drive!

Reg_Error.jpg

Bummer you don't have an image backup. You know that Macrium Reflect is free for home use.

When I was using Windows 7, I use a CD that you can boot from which would allow you to change the password and give you access to your system. I don't know if they have that for 10.

Nope but I'm going to make one latter!
What I don't know is why it said my password is incorrect (It was correct and the caps lock was off and exactly how I had it when I changed back in July of 2021, and the PC had the new one attached to it)

Back