windows 10 disable the ability to type on the start menu?

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
is there a way to disable the ability to type on the start menu? ive tried just about everything and i cant figure out a way to do it. i am trying to lock down users ability to use apps. using win 10 ltsc 1809.

I think you mean this: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/remove-windows-10-cortana-search-taskbar/

It is funny because, you disable, but you do not remove the typing search function of Start. When disabled you remove the annoying waste of space on the bar, and make it so that when you click on Start or hit Window key on the keyboard you can start typing what you want. E.g. if you have no shortcut to Word, hit Window key and start typing W..o and the selection of apps and such will appear. This is much better, IMO and is always the first thing removed from that Task Bar, along with all the other bullshit. Been this way since Vista.

You will have to create a user account to lock down user abilities. But this can create an administrating nightmare when it is a multi-user computer in a household and not knowing much of this.

i want to disable the typing function of the start menu. i dont want users to be able to type Wo and have word show up.

It's sort of funny when you consider that you pretty much had to do this very thing to get anything done in Windows 8.

just a dumb terminal. i am unable to use linux because on work polices. i need to have it where are a use is allowed to do is click an icon for one of two terminal server farms. for the most part the system is locked down. the only thing i can find is a way to prevent someone from clicking the start button and typing.

Removing UI elements isn't access control. There will always be ways around it. Set ACLs on the actual executables so that users can't run them. THAT'S how you prevent access. Otherwise there are infinite ways around it.

Also, it sounds like you want to switch out the shell process entirely and not launch explorer.exe, rather than hacking the Start Menu to do what you think you want rather than what you actually want.

Removing UI elements isn't access control. There will always be ways around it. Set ACLs on the actual executables so that users can't run them. THAT'S how you prevent access. Otherwise there are infinite ways around it.

Also, it sounds like you want to switch out the shell process entirely and not launch explorer.exe, rather than hacking the Start Menu to do what you think you want rather than what you actually want.

This is your answer OP.

Back