Win10Pro & Xbox360/One or PS3/4 Controllers w/ ChatPad as KeyBoard & Mouse?

bob4432

Limp Gawd
Anybody try and succeed to use a Xbox360/One S or PS3/4 w/ ChatPad as KeyBoard & Mouse Replacement?
Reason I am asking is I have used a lot of the mini KB/Mouse units, and they work, but just don't hold a charge for very long.
This will be used on my HTPC which will see some gaming (thinking something in the Forza series, or a sports game - where a controller would shine), machine is a X570 based board, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB Ram & a trusty 8GB RX580 (display is 1080p).
ATM I already have an Xbox360 & PS3 controller, so if I stayed w/ current controllers (whichever along w/ correct ChatPad that would work) I know I would need to get an adapter for the Xbox360 controller because it is not BT, where the PS3, PS4 & Xbox One S is BT out of the box and I have a few extra USB BT Dongles, and they are designed to last a decent amount of time compared to the Mini KB/Mouse I have used - mostly Rii brand from Amazon.
Using a full-size KB & Mouse is not feasible for this setup.
I would prefer to go w/ PS4, OboxOne S since they are BT out of the box and setup of ChatPad on the PS3 was DEFINITELY an afterthought.
Please help with a solution to this problem.
Bob

Somehow I missed the K400...🥺, I think one of those will do the trick. For gaming, I think I could just use the PS3 controller via a BT adapter.
Thx,
Bob

I use a somewhat older version of the K400, and it works fine. On my old KB, the trackpad is quite rudimentary, so none of the modern gestures work. Newer versions may have resolved that, but I don't know. There is also a Thinkpad BT keyboard (comes with a RF dongle, too) that is slightly more compact, since it uses the thinkpad trackpoint, instead of a touchpad. I have the wired version of it, and I use it a bit more in cramped areas.

Thanks for the additional info. I LOVE Thinkpad KBs, as they are the only laptops I buy based on the KB (they are kind of losing their feel in the last T450s I bought, but they still feel very good since my first Thinkpad T42).
I will talk it over w/ my wife tomorrow and weigh the variables - the Logitech K400 that uses AA batteries and last probably the longest (and I have quite a few AA Eneloops and other 2500mAh NiMH AAs), the K830 for it's backlight but much worse battery life, or a Thinkpad KB.
Great choices now, thanks all,
Bob

Went with the K400 and while it works perfectly for what it does, I do need to go with a backlit unit. Does anybody know if there is a kit or even a diy parts list to backlight it?

If the answer is no, I was thinking of going with an Xbox One S controller and ChatPad but out of curiosity has me asking what is the dongle for? Or is that only for the pre S Xbox One controller?

I was thinking about possibly using my smartphone to do the trick but there are quite a few apps - anybody have one they used with good luck, that has been reiable throughout the Android updates?

Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions,
Bob

Back