Win10 can't connect to Win7 PCs

magda

2[H]4U
I have 3 PCs (2 laptops with Win7) and one PC with Win10 Pro. They are connected in the same switch with ethernet cable. (Nothing wireless)
The Win7 PCs are in a small workgroup

192.168.1.11 (Laptop1)
192.168.1.12 (Laptop2)
192.168.1.13 (Win10 PC)
255.255.255.0 (Subnet mask)
192.168.1.1 (Default gateway)
DNS are Google's

Win7 laptops can print, share files between them, they can even see the Win10 PC and it´s shared folder, but the Win10 PC can´t even detect the Win7 laptops.

It's a fresh Win10 installation, totally vanilla. My first Win10, so I'm new to this OS.
What could be the problem?

Since you mention fresh install, Im assuming a recent Win10 rev..
Id say look at SMBv1 not being on the Win10 box

How are you trying to access it? Have you tried manually mapping the system as a network drive by IP?

How are you trying to access it? Have you tried manually mapping the system as a network drive by IP?
Via the file explorer.
Yep, using control panel, selecting the ethernet adapter, left click, properties and editing IPv4.

Try to open it via typiing \\<insert ip address of server here> and pressing enter into the windows 10 search

Try to open it via typiing \\<insert ip address of server here> and pressing enter into the windows 10 search
Yes!! It worked!!
But why?
And how come the Win7 PCs don't normally show up in the explorer?

Yes!! It worked!!
But why?
And how come the Win7 PCs don't normally show up in the explorer?
That's how you would map the drive or PC as well so it should work the same way.

To get them to show up in the explorer - open "Services" on your W10 machine and make sure the Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host services are started.

Reactions: magda
like this
To get them to show up in the explorer - open "Services" on your W10 machine and make sure the Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host services are started.
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Back