Win 7 trouble with nvme drive

pentiumiiislota

Limp Gawd
Hello when i try installing windows 7 onto my nvme drive i get a bsod 0000007 error when windows boots. I used msi win7 tool to add nvme drivers. Is there anything else i can try to get it working?

I5 6400
Gigabyte z170 h3dp
Lite on 250 gb nvme
Ati 4550 gpu

Install W7 to a SATA hard drive and clone it over. Its the only way I've been able to do it successfully.

The nvme drive doesn't show up in windows when I boot win 7 from a hard drive. Do I need a usb adapter to clone the image to the nvme drive? Thanks!

The nvme drive doesn't show up in windows when I boot win 7 from a hard drive. Do I need a usb adapter to clone the image to the nvme drive? Thanks!

You need 2 KBs to get NVME drives to function:
Windows6.1-KB2990941-v3-x64.msu
Windows6.1-KB3087873-v2-x64.msu

I found them among a zip update that is provided for a few mobos.
mb_utility_windowsimagetool_B18.0213.1.zip
They are in the Hotfix folder.

Last edited:
You need 2 KBs to get NVME drives to function:
Windows6.1-KB2990941-v3-x64.msu
Windows6.1-KB3087873-v2-x64.msu

I found them among a zip update that is provided for a few mobos.
mb_utility_windowsimagetool_B18.0213.1.zip
They are in the Hotfix folder.

The hot fixes, then cloning it from a sata drive to nvme drive worked great. Thanks everyone!

I also had another issue where win 7 would hang at a black for 30 seconds after logging in. Turning off pci link power saving or reinstalling gpu drivers fixed it.

I think a guide said to install windows to the nvme drive directly the hotfixes would have to be intergrated into the install media first.

Ive only been able to do it once after a ton of trial and error and going over different methods. At this point we are 2 weeks off from Windows 7 being end of life, it might be a good idea to look at Windows 10.

if you have KB2990941, how do you know which version you have? and does it work on all brand of NVMe drives?

Back