Win 10 locked out user after installing visual studio

M76

[H]F Junkie
This just happened today. I upgraded a win7 installation to the latest Win10, everything seemed fine. Then the user said they needed visual studio, so started installing that with the online installer. After a while it requested a restart, and after that it was no longer possible to log in to windows.
The login screen comes up but entering any known username or password results in nothing. It does not go forward from the login screen. It doesn't even say wrong password, it simply does nothing by pressing enter or clicking the -> The whole login screen seems broken as not even the power button in the bottom right works, clicking on it just says "no power options available"

Forced the machine to boot in safe mode by resetting during boot (F W10 for not allowing to enter safe mode on demand). Tried adding a new user but that failed, as it keeps saying there is a policy that prevents users with no passwords to be created. So I couldn't even create a new local user using command line. Apparently there is now a bunch of group policies enforced that requires users to have at least 7 character passwords among other things. i didn't create these, and they are locked in the group policy editor with a small padlock icon thus impossible to disable. Despite starting gpedit with administrator privileges.

It allowed to change the existing users password but it still won't log in in normal mode even with the new password.

Finally I tried to use system restore to revert to the state before installing visual studio. This broke everything. Now it no longer boots into either normal or safe mode. It just bluescreens on boot with the message: "critical process has died" I'm not making it up that's the message, with no error code.

:ROFLMAO: Microsoft took control of your computer. Hilarious.
Do a fresh Win10 reinstall using the media creation tool. It should work since your hardware id is now stored to Microsofts database.

I hope you have nothing valuable on your computer or you at least did a backup before venturing into this. If this is the only Windows computer available to you at the moment you're pretty much screwed. You could use a friends computer to create the installation USB but how do you know the friend is not among the 100 000 000 infected Windows users currently? USB is super dangerous to share between two computers.

:ROFLMAO: Microsoft took control of your computer. Hilarious.
Do a fresh Win10 reinstall using the media creation tool. It should work since your hardware id is now stored to Microsofts database.

I hope you have nothing valuable on your computer or you at least did a backup before venturing into this. If this is the only Windows computer available to you at the moment you're pretty much screwed. You could use a friends computer to create the installation USB but how do you know the friend is not among the 100 000 000 infected Windows users currently? USB is super dangerous to share between two computers.
What about the user's data?

What about the user's data?
That's what I meant by taking a backup before the upgrade. It's obvious that the installation itself is corrupt beyond help at this point.
If the data hasn't been backed up the best solution is to boot the computer using a linux live cd/usb and make a backup of the users files.
It's quite easy to do and plenty of instructions on the web.

That's what I meant by taking a backup before the upgrade. It's obvious that the installation itself is corrupt beyond help at this point.
If the data hasn't been backed up the best solution is to boot the computer using a linux live cd/usb and make a backup of the users files.
It's quite easy to do and plenty of instructions on the web.
My solution to this problem is to have separate Window partitions for data, photos, music, movies, and books, etc. That way WHEN there is a Windows issue, at least my data is safe. Did I mention that I do nightly differential backups of all partitions? And weekly, I back up the internal backup drive to a USB drive. That way if i get get ransomware, I won't lose more than a week's worth of data.

My solution to this problem is to have separate Window partitions for data, photos, music, movies, and books, etc. That way WHEN there is a Windows issue, at least my data is safe. Did I mention that I do nightly differential backups of all partitions? And weekly, I back up the internal backup drive to a USB drive. That way if i get get ransomware, I won't lose more than a week's worth of data.
Back when I used to use Windows with getto setups I always partitioned the hard drive for OS and data separately. Then later I had a dedicated SSD for data and ultimately I grew free from Microsofts oppression. Have you read the EULA lately? Microsoft now reads and analyses all your e-mails and office documents. Everything you store to onedrive, everything you send with Outlook, gets analysed and stored to big data. Hilariously when you write emails now in outlook, outlook suggests answers to the emails you get lol.

Luckily there was no important data on the PC.

And it happened again on another computer. Same shit, no longer being able to log in after upgrading. But this time there was no visual studio. But the windows version was different. I was installing W10 Pro over a W7 Enterprise, so it was supposed to be a clean install, still this has happened. It might have something to do with the domain controller. W10 copying some policies or IDK.

Back