Will Zen 5 run cooler?

Peat Moss

Gawd
I realize not much is known about Zen 5 yet, but just reading the snippets of info about it so far seems to indicate that AMD's emphasis for Zen 5 will be on power efficiency, with a rumored separation between performance cores and efficiency cores (like Intel). So maybe Zen 5 will idle at a lower temp/power?

Has anyone heard any more?

Being a smaller Arch, in theory Zen5 will be more efficient. As far as temps, it's all about the power envelope and how far AMD has/wants to push Zen5 to keep up or surpass Intel. For Zen4, look no further than a non-X CPU or just limit the power via RyzenMaster.

Idle temps? Dependent on your fan profile and what is running. Idle is a bit of a misnomer, there is always something going on. My plan is a massive NH-D15.

Doubt they will run the Zen 5 X CPUs any cooler. The reason why the Zen 3 CPUs were mostly cool was power limits of a lot of motherboards. E.g. quite a few boards were not designed to run more than 142w continuously so they set a "low" PB limit and let users have PBO at their own risk. With Zen 4 they basically set what used to be PBO limits as stock even if it was way past the point of diminishing returns. E.g. they will gladly run 50% more power for 5-10% more performance in benchmarks as benchmark scores sell more CPUs than power efficiency and low temps. Expect to have to run "ECO" mode for reasonable power/performance and temps with X CPUs or get a non-X variant.

A cpu this day will run up close to it's thermal limit as they factory overclock themselves. Literally no point on worrying about it unless your cpu is thermally throttling all the time. Wattage may go down, does not mean thermals will, as the cpu keeps shrinking it gets harder to get the heat transferred out.

Doubt they will run the Zen 5 X CPUs any cooler. The reason why the Zen 3 CPUs were mostly cool was power limits of a lot of motherboards. E.g. quite a few boards were not designed to run more than 142w continuously so they set a "low" PB limit and let users have PBO at their own risk. With Zen 4 they basically set what used to be PBO limits as stock even if it was way past the point of diminishing returns. E.g. they will gladly run 50% more power for 5-10% more performance in benchmarks as benchmark scores sell more CPUs than power efficiency and low temps. Expect to have to run "ECO" mode for reasonable power/performance and temps with X CPUs or get a non-X variant.

Hmm....so do you foresee Zen 5 continuing the trend started by Zen 4 of running at around 90° - 95°C ?

A cpu this day will run up close to it's thermal limit as they factory overclock themselves. Literally no point on worrying about it unless your cpu is thermally throttling all the time. Wattage may go down, does not mean thermals will, as the cpu keeps shrinking it gets harder to get the heat transferred out.

I thought there was a correlation between thermals and wattage, no? My only concern is wanting to still be able to use air cooling on future CPUs, and not have to adopt liquid cooling.

I thought there was a correlation between thermals and wattage, no? My only concern is wanting to still be able to use air cooling on future CPUs, and not have to adopt liquid cooling.
Not really. Voltage is a huge factor to temperature of a chip, thus the voltage gets cranked up to reach the highest speeds and the wattage skyrockets. This is why people have been turning down the voltage on Zen 4 and getting nearly the same boost by keeping the thermals lower. You also will have no problem staying on a air cooler, as many people don't want to stuff a water cooling setup in their computer so I doubt Intel or AMD will push a chip that far except maybe a extreme edition type chip. However I would not let 90C scare you these days.

Hmm....so do you foresee Zen 5 continuing the trend started by Zen 4 of running at around 90° - 95°C ?
I expect the X variants to run pretty close to the limit and boosting based on temp and that any OC must be done with undervolting. This trend will continue unless both AMD and Intel decide to stop running way into inefficiency territory at the same time and leave the last 5-10% of performance to overclockers. It is possible that AMD would have done it on Zen3 already if not for legacy AM4 boards having too low power capability (lower socket spec with lots of boards not able to handle 200w+). The non-X will likely be cool running variants, just like the current 7000 series non-X variants.

Not really. Voltage is a huge factor to temperature of a chip, thus the voltage gets cranked up to reach the highest speeds and the wattage skyrockets. This is why people have been turning down the voltage on Zen 4 and getting nearly the same boost by keeping the thermals lower. You also will have no problem staying on a air cooler, as many people don't want to stuff a water cooling setup in their computer so I doubt Intel or AMD will push a chip that far except maybe a extreme edition type chip. However I would not let 90C scare you these days.

Is 'eco mode' just AMD's own reduced voltage then?

Back