Will you upgrade to the S22 ultra?

Will you be upgrading to S22 ultra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 47 75.8%

• Total voters
Well I've only recently seen that on my S9+ after having it for 4 years, so...
My daughter just moved from her S8 Note to an S21, but we're weird compared to most phone users. I know people that jump phones every 6mos to 1 year. And obviously providers even have plans that assume that kind of turnover.

Would never pay these ridiculous prices for new phones. I got a Motorolla One 5g Ace for 2 bills and It is one of the best bang for your buck deals I have ever gotten in my life 6.7" screen 5g expandable storage headphone jack a lot of features also love the gesture light & camera brilliant.

Would never pay these ridiculous prices for new phones. I got a Motorolla One 5g Ace for 2 bills and It is one of the best bang for your buck deals I have ever gotten in my life 6.7" screen 5g expandable storage headphone jack a lot of features also love the gesture light & camera brilliant.
I can definitely appreciate the value of phones like the One 5G Ace, as they often provide a ton of value for the money. But please don't think the money on higher-end phones is going nowhere! The S22 Ultra (or iPhone 13 Pro, or Pixel 6 Pro) will offer a very nice display, exceptional photography and one of the speediest chips.

To abuse car analogies: an affordable everyday car that's a delight to drive doesn't negate the appeal of a luxury car. Some people just place more value in certain products and experiences than others.

I did. All upfront too. A trade-in of my wife's Galaxy S10 allowed us to get it $400 off. And it was not just for the specs. The S22 and S22+ had a smaller screen size than my previous LG V30

Last edited:
I can definitely appreciate the value of phones like the One 5G Ace, as they often provide a ton of value for the money. But please don't think the money on higher-end phones is going nowhere! The S22 Ultra (or iPhone 13 Pro, or Pixel 6 Pro) will offer a very nice display, exceptional photography and one of the speediest chips.

To abuse car analogies: an affordable everyday car that's a delight to drive doesn't negate the appeal of a luxury car. Some people just place more value in certain products and experiences than others.

Yes it does have a few advantages but how important those options are in the question. A higher resolution isn't really appreciated on a small phone so 1080p is more than enough also nowhere in LA has a fast enough 5g connection to stream 1440p let alone 1080p honestly most of the time I get 480 or 720 if I'm lucky. The camera has a small zoom on the high end sammy & apples but I am a pro photographer I never take pics with my phone because It's pointless the image quality can't compete. Other than that maybe a few other fancy tricks up their sleeve but I don't feel like I am missing out on anything? Or am I? lol

Yes it does have a few advantages but how important those options are in the question. A higher resolution isn't really appreciated on a small phone so 1080p is more than enough also nowhere in LA has a fast enough 5g connection to stream 1440p let alone 1080p honestly most of the time I get 480 or 720 if I'm lucky. The camera has a small zoom on the high end sammy & apples but I am a pro photographer I never take pics with my phone because It's pointless the image quality can't compete. Other than that maybe a few other fancy tricks up their sleeve but I don't feel like I am missing out on anything? Or am I? lol
All comes down to how everyone uses the device and what they want out of it. For you no, certainly not worth it. I too have no need for the ultra and am loving the regular S22 coming from my OnePlus 5T. I like to use my SLR for photography when possible but I cant always have it on me and for a quick shot having a solid portable shooter is handy so the best quality one also is nice. Others I know love them for the bling factor and others actually use the pens and other features as the phone is their main device for just about everything.

Wow seems I'm in the minority... I actually got my S22U before it was released! XD (No joke, upgraded through my carrier and received the handset like 10 days before it was officially released)

That being said... did I *WANT* to upgrade to the S22U... _no_. Pissed that they removed the headphone jack AND the SD slot (Though with 512gb of internal storage and my largest card being 256 and my main headphones being Bluetooth,.... I can't really justify it outside of "I want options!" - the same as when I was pissed they started removing IR Blasters from phones despite so many devices having switched to RF so even use as a remote for TV was getting rare)

As for why I upgraded... my note9's battery was lasting about 4-8 hours dep on use, the reception was getting spotty since 3G was being turned off in favor of 5G (so I'd lose even more coverage), it was starting to suffer slowdown with newer more powerful apps/updates, and the speakerphone was starting to get garbled.... I did trade it in for $800 off my S22U though, and I'm kinda bought into the Samsung ecosystem with my Buds+, Samsung TV, and my Galaxy Watch (plus official Samsung chargers), and I've come to LOVE and rely on the S-Pen, so despite my annoyance with the removed features, this was kinda a no-brainer for me.

All comes down to how everyone uses the device and what they want out of it. For you no, certainly not worth it. I too have no need for the ultra and am loving the regular S22 coming from my OnePlus 5T. I like to use my SLR for photography when possible but I cant always have it on me and for a quick shot having a solid portable shooter is handy so the best quality one also is nice. Others I know love them for the bling factor and others actually use the pens and other features as the phone is their main device for just about everything.

Nice upgrade for yourself. It's def worth it for you. You'll enjoy it. I would also but It's just that I'd rather spend the money other something else like maybe a new cpu/mb/ram upgrade. For me It's the classic case of too many wants not enough $$$ to support all toys wanted lol

Wow seems I'm in the minority... I actually got my S22U before it was released! XD (No joke, upgraded through my carrier and received the handset like 10 days before it was officially released)

That being said... did I *WANT* to upgrade to the S22U... _no_. Pissed that they removed the headphone jack AND the SD slot (Though with 512gb of internal storage and my largest card being 256 and my main headphones being Bluetooth,.... I can't really justify it outside of "I want options!" - the same as when I was pissed they started removing IR Blasters from phones despite so many devices having switched to RF so even use as a remote for TV was getting rare)

As for why I upgraded... my note9's battery was lasting about 4-8 hours dep on use, the reception was getting spotty since 3G was being turned off in favor of 5G (so I'd lose even more coverage), it was starting to suffer slowdown with newer more powerful apps/updates, and the speakerphone was starting to get garbled.... I did trade it in for $800 off my S22U though, and I'm kinda bought into the Samsung ecosystem with my Buds+, Samsung TV, and my Galaxy Watch (plus official Samsung chargers), and I've come to LOVE and rely on the S-Pen, so despite my annoyance with the removed features, this was kinda a no-brainer for me.

Nice you got 8 bills back towards the new phone. That's a massive incentive to upgrade when your current trade brings in big doe lol. How do you like the watch? do you need a samsung phone use it?

Nice you got 8 bills back towards the new phone. That's a massive incentive to upgrade when your current trade brings in big doe lol. How do you like the watch? do you need a samsung phone use it?

Yeah, its odd that skimming the other replies most ppl are only getting ~$400 for their phones... might be because I've been with the same carrier for over a decade (?) or I just got lucky with a limited-time promotion...

very happy with the Galaxy Watch, works well and is the only watch I've seen that lets you remote-control the PHONE's music player (all the rest just use the watch as a Bluetooth speaker, which is usually... tinny at best... --- though it can also play youtube itself and store I think 4gb of MP3s, so...)) Also, the inclusion of a web browser is nice even if the screen is so tiny it's only semi-functional... really nice for reminding me when I forget and leave my phone in the car charger XD (can't speak to the mobile-phone capabilities or the built-in Bluetooth headphone compatibility as I use it exclusively Bluetooth-tethered to my phone) the inclusion of exercise-tracker is also nice but not vital for me personally.

I've not used it with a non-Samsung phone, but from what I understand it still works well, but some features are gimp'd as they rely on Samsung services on the phone (afaik only the health tracker, since the music player can control youtube, amazon, Plex, and VLC-mobile --- but again could be relying on Samsung services on the phone, never tested it) Assuming everything else works, I'd highly recommend it. even gimp'd its FAR better than most of the cheap Chinese knockoffs that only alert you to calls)

the only downside is that afaik it can ONLY be changed using the "official" galaxy watch charger (or an imitation of it) not a normal Chii charger like some can (have verified this myself, it won't charge on a charging pad) which is annoying for travel as if you forget the charger, your SOL because you can't just pick up one at the local drugstore

Also, full disclosure, I'm using the previous generation with the rotating dial on the front for input - don't know how/if any features have changed with the new version

Nice upgrade for yourself. It's def worth it for you. You'll enjoy it. I would also but It's just that I'd rather spend the money other something else like maybe a new cpu/mb/ram upgrade. For me It's the classic case of too many wants not enough $$$ to support all toys wanted lol

Was a good upgrade, one I wouldnt have done if the 5T's VOLTE radio didnt have issues with bluetooth lol. I have a lot I want to spend money on as well in the same boat with a million wants and only a million penny's :( But for me I have no need for anything above the regular 22 as the + offers no value for the price and the ultra I would use maybe half of it at best lol. Though the phone does work better with my Watch 4 from Samsung which is nice.

I am very happy with my S22 Ultra as a nice upgrade from my S9+. As for watches, I replaced my battery in my Gear S3 Classic around September and well, its plugging along just fine. Aside from the tool investment, the battery was $15.

i am having to get used to no headphone jack though. The USB-C to headphone jack adapter is admittedly iffy in quality.

I am very happy with my S22 Ultra as a nice upgrade from my S9+. As for watches, I replaced my battery in my Gear S3 Classic around September and well, its plugging along just fine. Aside from the tool investment, the battery was $15.

i am having to get used to no headphone jack though. The USB-C to headphone jack adapter is admittedly iffy in quality.
While I'm not too fussed about the absence of headphone jacks these days, I do wish companies would devote more attention to the quality of adapters. Apple and Essential have good ones, but there are too many mediocre dongles out there. It's a bit telling when Bluetooth earbuds would represent a step up in sound quality.

While I'm not too fussed about the absence of headphone jacks these days, I do wish companies would devote more attention to the quality of adapters. Apple and Essential have good ones, but there are too many mediocre dongles out there. It's a bit telling when Bluetooth earbuds would represent a step up in sound quality.
Yep. I had ordered this adapter off Amazon, so maybe need to look at some more pricy/official ones.

Yeah, that is something for sure. My problem with wireless ear buds though is the fact their carrying case is also a battery so that they are constantly charging. Great way to kill their battery long term and then here, buy some more.

Yep. I had ordered this adapter off Amazon, so maybe need to look at some more pricy/official ones.

Yeah, that is something for sure. My problem with wireless ear buds though is the fact their carrying case is also a battery so that they are constantly charging. Great way to kill their battery long term and then here, buy some more.
Long-term use is a concern for wireless earbuds, but however long they last... I have to admit, it's extremely alluring. There's something wonderful to knowing that you won't have to wrestle with a cord during a workout, or even when you're putting your buds back in your pocket.

Back