Will this make a good conspiracy theory?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I have 2 mini ITX systems that are EXACTLY the same. One has Windows 10 installed and the other has Linux Mint Cinnamon. With both system completely shut down the Windows system blinks the network activity LED continuously and the Linux system does not, it's completely off. Both systems function normally. All networking is functional. The BIOS is the same in both systems. :woot:

One more thing, with both systems running the network LEDs function normally.

flip the drives, still do it? if not, one has WOL enabled. if so, its just the nsa backdoors ;)

I have 2 mini ITX systems that are EXACTLY the same. One has Windows 10 installed and the other has Linux Mint Cinnamon. With both system completely shut down the Windows system blinks the network activity LED continuously and the Linux system does not, it's completely off. Both systems function normally. All networking is functional. The BIOS is the same in both systems. :woot:

One more thing, with both systems running the network LEDs function normally.
It's not a theory–windows does tell the network hardware to remain online and wake up the system when *something* happens. Dunno if it still does when you tell it to "really, actually, power off" (yes, just telling it to shut down doesn't mean "power off" anymore), but at least on normal shutdown, it does.

Edit: there's also a setting to download updates while powered down, iirc.

Hmmm, just pulled the power, counted to 10 and plugged it back and still have the blinking LED.

Hmmm, just pulled the power, counted to 10 and plugged it back and still have the blinking LED.
thats not long enough for a full discharge. either wait a few minutes or hit the power button a few times.
then, try the drive swap, cable swap and check for WOL in bios.

OK, there is no WOL setting in the BIOS but there is a TUP setting which google says has something to do with WOL so I disabled it. Also disabled all the Resume on setting. In the Network interface properties in Windows I disabled the 2 WOL settings. The light still blinks. :dead:

Back