Will IDE hard drives be detected on the motherboard which cannot recognizes SATA hard drives?

DiaNo

n00b
The motherboard: G45T AM2 V.1.0, mATX, manufactured in 2007 or 2008, both IDE and SATA HDDs can be used on this MB.

A loose SATA power connector of a PSU caused an accident on the MB. Then, SATA hard drives connected to this MB can not be detected by BIOS and OS installers.

The hard driver controller and/or SATA chip set are tried, information on Google Search.

Will IDE hard drives be detected by BIOS and OS installers if IDE hard drives are connected to this MB?

Thank you.

First off I would think the PS is bunk. Don't go to step two before you replace the PS. PS or MB if fucked. Buying a proper PS will let you know which. If the MB isn't bunk I will be surprised.

I don't think there's any way to know the answer at a distance. It depends too much on exactly what got fried.

First off I would think the PS is bunk. Don't go to step two before you replace the PS. PS or MB if fucked. Buying a proper PS will let you know which. If the MB isn't bunk I will be surprised.
Thank you.

The PSU is good and in use now, except for the one cable for connecting HDDs because of the loose connector or connectors. Both the PSU and MB are running Linux installed on USB hard drive. Any hard drive connected to SATA connectors on the MB is not detected by both BIOS and OS installers, both Windows and Linux distros. The purpose of t his post is NOT to save the MB or PUS, but to learn whether SATA hard drive and IDE hard drive are controlled by the same chip set on the MB.

I don't think there's any way to know the answer at a distance. It depends too much on exactly what got fried.
Thank you.

I realize what you are saying. All I hope to get is a piece of information or knowledge telling me whether IDE hard drive is regulated or controlled by the same chip set which controls SATA hard drives.

I'm going with yes they are, you can buy an adapter to go IDE to SATA and S to I; so same chip set as far as where the sparks are going; not 2 chip sets on the same mobo. Cost about $20.
I could be wrong, but IDE is slow, so sata to ide would slow the drive transfer, ide to sata would give you ide speed on a sata buss.

If you're running Linux, what does dmesg/lspci/etc say about the IDE controller and the SATA controller? Quite possibly they're both coming off the southbridge in that era, and so one chip fried could hit both of them.

If you have an IDE drive laying around, why not give it a try? If you don't, don't buy an IDE drive, buy a SATA controller.

Thank you.

I realize what you are saying. All I hope to get is a piece of information or knowledge telling me whether IDE hard drive is regulated or controlled by the same chip set which controls SATA hard drives.
The best I can do without the board in hand is "probably". If that mobo is in fact an ECS G45T, there's an ICH10 for a lot of the I/O including SATA and USB, but it doesn't say anything about IDE on the ECS website for that board. If there is IDE, it might be on a separate chip; unfortunately my guess is that the IDE controller would be downstream of the ICH10 and not on the PCIe bus directly. If it's the ICH10 that's smoked, you would be out of luck.

You haven't said what the end goal here is, and surely it's simplest to just give it a try. If the concern is damage to an IDE drive before you can retrieve data, my advice would be to buy an inexpensive IDE-to-USB adapter (Inateck makes an IDE/SATA/USB box and I'm sure others do too) and get your data off before experimenting.

I don't have hard data, but I'm quite confident an IDE drive would work okay. Like pitingres said above, it's most likely a separate chip.

Look at the "Chapter 1" -> "introduction" section in the manual for this mobo - the ICH10 is not just SATA, it does other stuff as well and I'm guessing the mobo would not work at all if the southbridge "fried".

Maybe a SATA controller that goes into PCIe would help you get going, but that's a reasonable option only if you can get/borrow one to test (or buy for cheap).

I'm going with yes they are, you can buy an adapter to go IDE to SATA and S to I; so same chip set as far as where the sparks are going; not 2 chip sets on the same mobo. Cost about $20.
I could be wrong, but IDE is slow, so sata to ide would slow the drive transfer, ide to sata would give you ide speed on a sata buss.
Thank you.

"adapter to go IDE to SATA and S to I;"
Thanks for the advice. Will not add any new device to the current setup because of the fact that all the items of the current setup are more than 10 years old. I am using it for testing and learning.

Yes, I know that IDE is not as fast as SATA. This doesn't matter to me since the purpose of this post is learn whether IDE and SATA are controlled by the same chipset.

If you're running Linux, what does dmesg/lspci/etc say about ItheDE controller and the SATA controller? Quite possibly they're both coming off the southbridge in that era, and so one chip fried could hit both of them.

If you have an IDE drive laying around, why not give it a try? If you don't, don't buy an IDE drive, buy a SATA controller.
Thank you.

"what does dmesg/lspci/etc say about ItheDE controller and the SATA controller?"
I do not know. The Linux I am now running is in fact not running but testing, running it on a flash stick as USB live bootable. Have tried to install it, Linux Mint Xfce, onto various USB flash sticks and memory card, about a dozen times, all failed.

Will not buy anything. I have IDE and SATA hard drives. I am simply using these left over parts, all more than 10 years old, to lean how to manipulate and make use of these junk parts.

The best I can do without the board in hand is "probably". If that mobo is in fact an ECS G45T, there's an ICH10 for a lot of the I/O including SATA and USB, but it doesn't say anything about IDE on the ECS website for that board. If there is IDE, it might be on a separate chip; unfortunately my guess is that the IDE controller would be downstream of the ICH10 and not on the PCIe bus directly. If it's the ICH10 that's smoked, you would be out of luck.

You haven't said what the end goal here is, and surely it's simplest to just give it a try. If the concern is damage to an IDE drive before you can retrieve data, my advice would be to buy an inexpensive IDE-to-USB adapter (Inateck makes an IDE/SATA/USB box and I'm sure others do too) and get your data off before experimenting.
Thank you.

"If that mobo is in fact an ECS G45T,"
The mobo is G45T but can not tell whether it is ECS. It was in the PC of Acer Aspire M5700, Windows Vista, on the market in 2008. It is said that the mobo might have been altered by Acer so that common users cannot change motherboards by themselves.

"If there is IDE,"
Yes, there is. The machine was equipped for both IDE and SATA, even with a floppy drive.

"ICH10"
Do not know much about it. The situation is: 1. An accident burnt the HDD. 2. Then BIOS cannot detect any HDDs. 3. Windows installer cannot find any hard drives. 4. Linux light weight distros can be run as USB live bootable on flash sticks, but can not be installed onto any flash sticks. The cause of the install failure: [Ermo 30] Read only file system: '/target/boot/vminus-5.0.4-113 generic.

The purpose of this post is to learn whether IDE hard drive can be detected by BIOS and OS installers. SATA hard drives connected to this motherboard, including USB hard drives, are not detected by BIOS, and OS can not be installed, both Windows OS and Linux light weight distros. Want to find a method to install Linux Mint onto a hard drive or a USB flash stick.

Last edited:
you may have to take it out of ahci mode in bios for it to recognize ide drives

Back