Will i5-11500 work on Asrock H510M-HDV/M.2

wandplus

Limp Gawd
I ordered the i5-11500 but now I see that the Asrock H510M-HDV/M.2 motherboard only has Comet Lake CPUs on the support list. Does this make any sense at all? I mean it should be a Rocket Lake board.

They just probably didn't update the CPU support list yet to reflect the 11 series but in the specification they do advertise 11th gen CPUs.

OK, it looks like either they added Rocket Lake to the list of supported CPUs or I didn't scroll down. The new CPUs are now on the list.

Last edited:
OK, I feel a bit cheesy all over again. :woot: I just read on Anandtech that only the B560 and Z590 chipsets will support PCIe4. But, the AsRock & Gigabyte boards I looked at both won't run 3200MHz RAM without overclocking. I wanted to buy Rocket Lake over Comet Lake partly because of PCIe4. The other reasons were the fact that the 11500 has an iGPU versus the Ryzen 3600 and its iGPU is more powerful than the Comet Lake. It looks like to use the Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz RAM I already received I might buy the Asrock H510M HDV-M.2 after all (to use the 3200MHz RAM at 3200MHz without overclocking and forget PCIe4).

Excuse me for the random and confusing messages. I think I will be choosing a B560 board after all. And maybe I bought another couple of RAM sticks for nothing. (Maybe I'll have to return one pair.) In any case, I looked at the RAM support list from Asrock and Gigabyte and it does look like 3200MHz RAM can run at 3200MHz. And from what I saw on Techspot, it can make a difference with certain video cards if you run a new card on PCIe4 (PCIe3 was slightly slower for some cards).

Anandtech's article needs to be edited. They do not mention H510 and H570 at all and as you said, state that B560 and Z590 are the only 500 series boards for Rocket Lake.

In terms of base features, It goes like this Z590 > H570 > B560 > H510

H570 and B560 both support RAM overclocking like Z590. But only Z590 supports CPU overclocking.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I haven't bought the motherboard yet. But I noticed something a bit peculiar to me. Years ago I bought an Asrock H87 Performance (that worked well the entire time) that had a DVI and VGA output on the back plus an optical sound output. These days I can't find that same combination.

OK, I feel a bit cheesy all over again. :woot: I just read on Anandtech that only the B560 and Z590 chipsets will support PCIe4. But, the AsRock & Gigabyte boards I looked at both won't run 3200MHz RAM without overclocking. I wanted to buy Rocket Lake over Comet Lake partly because of PCIe4. The other reasons were the fact that the 11500 has an iGPU versus the Ryzen 3600 and its iGPU is more powerful than the Comet Lake. It looks like to use the Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz RAM I already received I might buy the Asrock H510M HDV-M.2 after all (to use the 3200MHz RAM at 3200MHz without overclocking and forget PCIe4).

I'm not sure what you're getting at since my understanding is that the 11500 will support 3200 natively. Comet Lake (10500) only supported 2666 natively but you could easily overclock up to 3200+ depending on your motherboard. I'm not sure what the hangup is on RAM overclocking as pretty much every 3200Mhz kit of RAM is already overclocked to get the timings and speeds, including the Ballistix you already have.

I'd just buy a motherboard that supports PCIe 4 regardless of what the "fine print" says about OCing the RAM.

I'm not sure what the hangup is on RAM overclocking as pretty much every 3200Mhz kit of RAM is already overclocked to get the timings and speeds, including the Ballistix you already have.
You are talking about using the factory XMP profile. Before the 500 series motherboards (Z590, H570, B560), you could not use RAM XMP profiles or manually overclock RAM, on the H or B boards.
If you wanted to use a locked CPU with RAM rated higher than the stock supported speed of the CPU, you still had to buy a Z motherboard. Which was a pretty weird thing to do, with a locked CPU. And that's probably part of why a couple of board makers got into the habit of making budget boards which still had Z chipsets. (albeit also a marketing tactic).
However, some of the new B560 boards are pretty overbuilt and cost a lot so.....seems there is some trouble in finding a good balance.

You are talking about using the factory XMP profile. Before the 500 series motherboards (Z590, H570, B560), you could not use RAM XMP profiles or manually overclock RAM, on the H or B boards.
If you wanted to use a locked CPU with RAM rated higher than the stock supported speed of the CPU, you still had to buy a Z motherboard. Which was a pretty weird thing to do, with a locked CPU. And that's probably part of why a couple of board makers got into the habit of making budget boards which still had Z chipsets. (albeit also a marketing tactic).
However, some of the new B560 boards are pretty overbuilt and cost a lot so.....seems there is some trouble in finding a good balance.

But read what he was saying. He thinks that they are overclocking the RAM on certain brand boards. That doesn't seem to be accurate. I would think that a H510 from any manufacturer is going to treat memory essentially the same. One brand isn't going to "overclock" and the other will not. Whether or not the RAM is overclocked is subject to interpretation because running the XMP is overclocking from normal JEDEC standards, but not necessarily beyond what the manufacturer of the RAM has tested.

Back