WiFi Ethernet adapter recommendation

metropole

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In my experience, if you aren't using Linux, just buy whatever. I've used the $15 models and the more expensive name brands, all the same chips.

This is for a Bluesound device.
I am just not sure if I am looking at the right product categories. It seems that the TL-WR902AC in "client mode" can to the trick?

I've found TPlink to be a nice reliable brand that's usually the most bang for the buck. As mentioned, most of these all use the same chipset, so there's little performance difference, but mainly construction and warranty differences (the cheaper ones are typically copies of branded designs and soldered like a two year old did them so they fail faster if not being doa).

The topic is sort of confusing as "WiFi Ethernet adapter" sort of gives the impression that you are installing a USB or PCIe adapter to access WiFi. That's probably why auntjemima made the reference to Linux support. It sounds like what you are actually looking for is a "WiFi bridge" - a stand-alone device that connects to a WiFi network on it's own and then provides an Ethernet port for other devices to use. Many WiFi extenders also have ethernet ports and can be used as a WiFi Bridge. Some WiFi access points / routers can also be configured as a WiFi bridge.

Strangely, one of the biggest limitations i've found is that many of these WiFi bridges and WiFi extenders that can be used as a bridge only come with a 100Mbps Ethernet port... but depending on what you are using it for that might not be an issue.

Last edited:
The topic is sort of confusing as "WiFi Ethernet adapter" sort of gives the impression that you are installing a USB or PCIe adapter to access WiFi. That's probably why auntjemima made the reference to Linux support. It sounds like what you are actually looking for is a "WiFi bridge" - a stand-alone device that connects to a WiFi network on it's own and then provides an Ethernet port for other devices to use. Many WiFi extenders also have ethernet ports and can be used as an WiFi Bridge. Some WiFi access points / routers can also be configured as a WiFi bridge.

Strangely, one of the biggest limitations i've found is that many of these WiFi bridges and WiFi extenders that can be uses as a bridge only come with a 100Mbps Ethernet port... but depending on what you are using it for that might not be an issue.

Indeed. Thanks for pointing out the Ethernet port "limitation".
I looked at RE315
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re315/#specifications
and TL-WR902AC

both with 100Mbs port. As much as I like to have 1GBps I am not sure whether this really limits anything?

Found this with 1GBps
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCMag-Editors-Choice-Extender/dp/B010S6SG3S

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So, I got the TPLink RE450. However, I am not sure whether it is going to work.
It has actually only two modes:
- extender (which I don't need/want)
- AP (as converting a Ethernet to Wifi)

I am looking for converting Wifi to Ethernet for a client. Or am I missing something?

I am looking for converting Wifi to Ethernet for a client. Or am I missing something?
So you want to take a wifi signal and convert this to Ethernet? Is this for only one device to use or do you need multiple devices that don't have wifi?

On these extenders (the ones that also have an ethernet port), extender mode and bridge mode are basically the same thing, which is probably why you aren't seeing a separate option just for bridge. Just configure it as an extender. As long as the extender is connected to the source WiFi network, the ethernet port should work.

If you really don't want the extender networks for whatever reason, most devices will have an option to disable those networks. If it doesn't have an option to disable the extender networks, then just configure them as something random and simply ignore them.

That ~$200 device seems wildly overpriced considering you can buy extenders for $20-30 that can act as a bridge just fine. For $200, you would think that it would at least support WiFi 6... (it doesn't)

Last edited:
Back