Wi-Fi Bridge and AP Bridge-WDS Modes Question

Boris_yo

Limp Gawd
These two modes do pass internet through or they just connect 2 local area networks?

I have Wi-Fi Bridge on my ISP's modem and I have it on my Edimax wireless router. When choosing that mode I must enter each other's respective MAC address on both devices.

I didn't get luck with Wi-Fi Bridge but now thinking of trying AP Bridge-WDS mode on both devices, which I assume is wired.

I am interested to know if that mode will pass-through internet from ISP modem to my Edimax wireless router so I can further share internet wirelessly from Edimax to other devices. If I can't share wirelessly, I could connect another wireless router to Edimax through LAN cable and share it wirelessly.

Thanks

These two modes do pass internet through or they just connect 2 local area networks?

I have Wi-Fi Bridge on my ISP's modem and I have it on my Edimax wireless router. When choosing that mode I must enter each other's respective MAC address on both devices.

Using a device as a "WiFi Bridge" simply means that you are using that device like a client, to connect to another wireless network. You would then have access to that wireless network via the LAN port(s) on the bridge (or AP/Router used as bridge). This should not require any special configuration on your main WiFi, as a "WiFi bridge" connecting to your main WiFi is no different than any other device connecting to your main WiFi. If you connected your phone to your WiFi for example, you certainly would not have to go into your WiFi and manually add the MAC address of your phone. You wouldn't have to do it for a Bridge either, as like I said, the bridge connects the same as any other WiFi client.

I am interested to know if that mode will pass-through internet from ISP modem to my Edimax wireless router so I can further share internet wirelessly from Edimax to other devices. If I can't share wirelessly, I could connect another wireless router to Edimax through LAN cable and share it wirelessly.

If you want the WiFi bridge to also broadcast it's own WiFi signal, rather than simply act as a client, then you essentially want an extender, not a bridge. You could use it as a bridge, and then connect yet another WiFi access point via the LAN port. Just make sure not to use the same WiFi SSID as the one from your main WiFi, that your bridge is set to connect to, or the bridge might try to connect to that 2nd access point instead of your main WiFi, creating an isolated network with no internet access.

Also, please make sure that every "router" you are using, either as a bridge or access point, has DHCP disabled, and be sure to use only the LAN port(s), so you aren't creating a double-NAT scenario.

This should not require any special configuration on your main WiFi, as a "WiFi bridge" connecting to your main WiFi is no different than any other device connecting to your main WiFi.

Here is Wi-Fi Bridge screen on my ISP's modem:

Screenshot_20211214-045123_Chrome.jpg

Here's Wi-Fi Bridge screen on my Edimax wireless router:

Screenshot_20211214-050536_Chrome.jpg

Here's AP Wi-Fi Bridge-WDS screen on my Edimax wireless router:

Screenshot_20211214-045935_Chrome.jpg

I don't understand why my ISP's modem has fields for MAC addresses and why my Edimax wireless router has not MAC fields in Wi-Fi Bridge mode but yet has them in AP Wi-Fi Bridge-WDS mode.

If you want the WiFi bridge to also broadcast it's own WiFi signal, rather than simply act as a client, then you essentially want an extender, not a bridge. You could use it as a bridge, and then connect yet another WiFi access point via the LAN port.

Seems like AP Wi-Fi Bridge-WDS is a mode that can broadcast wireless signal?

Also, please make sure that every "router" you are using, either as a bridge or access point, has DHCP disabled, and be sure to use only the LAN port(s), so you aren't creating a double-NAT scenario.

Right now I have Edimax wireless router set as AP, connected to ISP's modem through it's WAN port to ISP's modem LAN port. It didn't work using LAN port, hence WAN port because it works. Does it mean I currently have double NAT?

Back