Why the price drop on BB?

I'm so old I remember shopping at newegg because they had reasonable prices on things.
Part of the problem is they sold off some number of years back and just became a shadow of what it used to be. Seems most of what's shown on Newegg these days is questionable 3rd party sellers.

No sales taxes? Do you live in a state with no sales taxes? Doesn't Amazon also not tax you?
FL has a 6% sales tax but it's wonky with online purchases. Newegg doesn't have any business locations in Florida, so there is no sales tax automatically applied. Amazon does (warehouses), so they do have sales tax. Ebay doesn't tax me, either.

We are supposed to declare these sales with the state, but... C'mon.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/busin...-florida-sales-tax-law-and-dont-even-know-it/

"But when customers make online purchases originating outside Florida, the sales tax collections fall to them. The Florida Department of Revenue website has a downloadable form to help shoppers file that few people know exists."

Connecticut residents got shafted by this a couple years ago...
https://www.pcgamer.com/some-newegg-customers-are-getting-hit-with-tax-bills-for-past-purchases/

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Looking at the bapcsales subreddit, Newegg is still king of prices.
I shop there because they are the only site that doesn't tax me. They also send me tons of free shit as an Eggxpert reviewer.

I do miss their Premier program, though. Wish they'd bring it back.
You had to be alive back in the day to understand though. There was a time....

My newegg account is from mid 2001. I still like them.
It's not that I don't like them, I just have little reason to purchase from them due to their less than excellent prices. Even Shellshocker has become a snooze fest.

"... less than excellent prices?" The minute the latest tariffs were announced - which just went into effect April 1 - New Egg jacked up all their prices - in January. WTF? A $1500 3090 became a $2100 card. New Egg's mercenary as fuck. Occasionally you'll see scalpers selling cards for $3,000 +. On New Egg. They don't care - as long as they get their cut. I'll buy a 3090 from them if I can, because they're the only game in town. I refuse to pay ebay prices. But I'll be goddamned if I'll ever buy anything else from them ever again, after this drought passes. Fuck New Egg.

"... less than excellent prices?" The minute the latest tariffs were announced - which just went into effect April 1 - New Egg jacked up all their prices - in January. WTF? A $1500 3090 became a $2100 card. New Egg's mercenary as fuck. Occasionally you'll see scalpers selling cards for $3,000 +. On New Egg. They don't care - as long as they get their cut. I'll buy a 3090 from them if I can, because they're the only game in town. I refuse to pay ebay prices. But I'll be goddamned if I'll ever buy anything else from them ever again, after this drought passes. Fuck New Egg.
Sadly, I'm coming around to your view of NewEgg. They used to be excellent and I still like their reviews, but I don't like that they have all these third-party sellers, some of whom have bad reps. And their prices are pretty meh these days.

Sadly, I'm coming around to your view of NewEgg. They used to be excellent and I still like their reviews, but I don't like that they have all these third-party sellers, some of whom have bad reps. And their prices are pretty meh these days.
If i have to use newegg for something; I just check the "Sold by Newegg" slider and go from there. I've still managed some decent deals doing that and have not had any problems with newegg directly.

Have prices for anything besides GPUs gone up? Mobos seem okay, PSUs seem okay, both of which use a lot of components. Which would mean it's a Samsung or VRAM issue?
TSMC related electronics (consoles, AMD products) are also suffering.

No, GPU prices are crazy cause crypto prices have gone parabolic. Miners are buying shipments of video cards wholesale before they ever reach gaming vendors.

TSMC has some shortages for unrelated issues. And of course the government has been handing out $1400 checks to everyone who makes under $160k AGI. That's a lot of young people who game.

when I bought a new motherboard back in jan they had the best price by about $15, then amazon got some in stock so I ordered there cause newegg's return policy sucks.

when I bought a new motherboard back in jan they had the best price by about $15, then amazon got some in stock so I ordered there cause newegg's return policy sucks.
I have had only good experiences when I needed to do a return, but only for an item that was sold and shipped by Newegg. Once when when I had to do a return a third-party seller, an overseas manufacturer, they made me jump through hoops. Eventually they did send out a replacement, but from now on, I will deal with only a small set of third-party, US-based, resellers.

I try to avoid buying from Amazon on principle.

I used to order exclusively from Newegg for tech related things but now order from whoever. The good thing about eBay is Newegg (and other regular stores selling on eBay) have to take returns on everything (even CPUs) and unless the order is your mistake you don’t have to pay a restocking fee or etc regardless of what their store policy is. I’m kind of surprised they have an eBay storefront since their store policies are basically invalid on eBay.

So what are considered the top 3 cards for 3060ti and 3070? In guessing asus, evga and gigabyte?

Back