Why is this no longer popular?

not bad. summer time i ran it at 1000, used whatever the popular giant copper cooler was, cant remember the name...
Zalman was the first / popular one, but it had many knock-offs, like the one I had later, the Primecooler PC-HCIII+

primecooler-pc-hc4-blue-led-hypercool_ien94637-2947516140.jpg

I even used this one for Socket-2011, with zip ties as mounting solution as the latest socket is supported officially was Socket 478.
The one I had on the Celeron was a Glacialtech Igloo 2450 Light.

its was something like the SK6 or that style, big block of copper with a ton of fins and a delta black label screamin on top.

I loved Delta fans back in the day. I was they guy no one liked to sit next to at LAN Parties. I had one setup that had 4xDelta 80mm, 1xDelta 120mm and 1xDelta 92mm for the CPU. All of it was cooling a P4 2.8C @ 3.6ghz, 2gb DDR400 and Radeon 9800XT.

This is my peltier/tec covid-rig, born out of part curiosity and boredom ;)

20220318_191605.jpg

Have a closer look at the powerbrick!

20220318_200431.jpg

120w peltier/tec

3080ti benchmark cheater killer with the tec removed for daily use since it is an insulator if not active.
Without it the GPUs 80mm dual tower backplate cooler still could do its daily part.
20220416_001212.jpg

The trick was lots of thermal putty and 3x180mm fans to dry any forming moisture.
And those fans can be loud.

So since we are in the extreme part of the spectrum the sound dampening had to fit the occasion:

280.jpg

But yeah, fun as it is extreme cooling does not solve a problem without generating proportionally bigger ones that need an unproportional amount of attention.

And if those extreme solutions don´t get that "unproportional amount of attention" they end up like this:

reclaimed by nature:
good luck gettin it back.jpg

Last edited:
That's why it's extreme, because it is complex and not efficient. But hardcore OC was never about efficiency. If power efficiency was a concern then you wouldn't OC at all.

As for phase change coolers I don't think it's more complex than water cooling. Only instead of a pump you have a compressor. Otherwise it is the same basic setup, some tubes, a radiator and a cooling block.
The heat loads of modern processors are several times higher than the old T-Birds and such that were most popular at the height of phase change popularity. I came to it late, Q6600 era, and single stage units already couldn't keep up unless very carefully and expertly tuned.

I went full batshit back then. Giant Lian Li, phase change unit, custom water loop on all 3 8800 GTXs... think I was running two PSUs at one point.

Loved it. It also weighed like 150 pounds, leaked more than once, I had to plug it in to two separate circuits in the house, and it pulled almost 1200 watts under load, with higher spikes.

It was fun, but the time is past.

Back