Why doesn't Microsoft want people to create local accounts?

3dprophet

Limp Gawd
It's been a few years since I installed Windows. The option to create a local account was gone. I had to turn off my internet in order to create a local account.

The option is there it’s just easy to miss. No need to unplug the internet. In fact it’s probably best to be online and install updates as you install windows. Also that gives you access to more current drivers. And once you say you only want a local account, Windows will again ask you in the next step, and imply you’re missing out on features without having a online account.

Last edited:
It's been a few years since I installed Windows. The option to create a local account was gone. I had to turn off my internet in order to create a local account.

Install windows with the internet uplugged and it will allow you to make a local account.

Seem more likely to one days achieved a services sales (Dropbox or others) to someone with a connected account, probably help synergy for the next product you buy a la Xbox/Tablet has well, would be some of my first thought on why they would push online account.

Since Satya Nadella has been at Microsoft the goal has always been "Mobile First / Cloud First". Using an MSA (Microsoft Services Account) allows them to offer all of their cloud services to the end user. All of their strategies are being built around Azure so a Microsoft account is required to make that a reality.

Some of the features that have been added are if you use Windows 10 Home, Windows will automatically upload the bitlocker recovery key to your MSA account for backup in case something happens to the PC. It can also automatically backup your files to One Drive for you. Those are how Microsoft can offer their IT services to someone who doesn't know anything about IT.

The biggest issue is that Home is really designed for MS to do all of the IT managment, so if you don't want Microsoft to manage your stuff you really need Pro or Enterprise. I also loathe MSA accounts simply because it doesn't work well. Unlike a domain account it doesn't seem like MSA accounts can just use cached credentials. So if the pc goes to sleep you'll have trouble signing into your pc until your wireless connects back up and the computer can talk to the cloud. I tried it on one pc and had to revert back to a local account as it was far too interrupting to have the computer constantly complain about not being able to log in.

Since Satya Nadella has been at Microsoft the goal has always been "Mobile First / Cloud First". Using an MSA (Microsoft Services Account) allows them to offer all of their cloud services to the end user. All of their strategies are being built around Azure so a Microsoft account is required to make that a reality.

Some of the features that have been added are if you use Windows 10 Home, Windows will automatically upload the bitlocker recovery key to your MSA account for backup in case something happens to the PC. It can also automatically backup your files to One Drive for you. Those are how Microsoft can offer their IT services to someone who doesn't know anything about IT.

The biggest issue is that Home is really designed for MS to do all of the IT managment, so if you don't want Microsoft to manage your stuff you really need Pro or Enterprise. I also loathe MSA accounts simply because it doesn't work well. Unlike a domain account it doesn't seem like MSA accounts can just use cached credentials. So if the pc goes to sleep you'll have trouble signing into your pc until your wireless connects back up and the computer can talk to the cloud. I tried it on one pc and had to revert back to a local account as it was far too interrupting to have the computer constantly complain about not being able to log in.
Well, since 99% of Windows users are totally clueless about IT and know only the button where the thing goes 'bleep' and screen lights up, this is the intended way.

With recent updates to Windows 10, they're making it tougher and tougher. The option is getting smaller (and more hidden) and the prompts are written to discourage and downplay it as much as possible. They really, really, really want you to use an MS account paired with a PIN, rather than a password.

With recent updates to Windows 10, they're making it tougher and tougher. The option is getting smaller (and more hidden) and the prompts are written to discourage and downplay it as much as possible. They really, really, really want you to use an MS account paired with a PIN, rather than a password.
which makes me want to do it less and less.

Look, Microsoft O365/M365 are 365, up all the time. As a user of 365, I can assure they have never been down or unavailable or cost us thousands of dollars in lost revenue because we could not get to them, receive messages, work in Teams or interact with our Azure (I only mention those things, because, of course, they never let us down, don't you know?). Microsoft of course can't promise access if you ISP is having trouble, so make sure your business has the minimum of 3 backbone providers as well.

What could go wrong?

I tried it on one pc and had to revert back to a local account as it was far too interrupting to have the computer constantly complain about not being able to log in.
Maybe it is because I didn't use it without a pin in a very long time, I do not remember that being an issue, even without Internet.

Online accounts is being pushed because of control. Companies have been desperately trying to monetize the internet for the last couple decades. By shifting to online accounts they keep the control and can start phasing in monthly subscriptions for everything. This isn't always a bad thing in all use cases, but buying access and buying a product (or even a license to use a copy of said product) are two very different things.

Once you are signed in with your Microsoft account, you do not need an internet connection to login.

Once you are signed in with your Microsoft account, you do not need an internet connection to login.

That wasn't my experience with one of the laptops I had. We kept getting could not contact MS servers and the computer would fail to login. I don't recall what the exact wording for that was anymore, but it was very similar to the domain one you get that states "no logon servers available". So maybe they fixed something now, but I can assure you I was experiencing issues with it in the past.

I make a local account because last time I signed it first it named the users folder after my email and not my name as I have been doing since the XP days to change it (the actual directory name not the shown name) is a PITA and most of the times results in a re installation. So I sign in after I make my local account stop making it harder then necessary Microsoft

That wasn't my experience with one of the laptops I had. We kept getting could not contact MS servers and the computer would fail to login. I don't recall what the exact wording for that was anymore, but it was very similar to the domain one you get that states "no logon servers available". So maybe they fixed something now, but I can assure you I was experiencing issues with it in the past.

Well, I did just give it a try and thankfully, it worked. :) I am using a 4 digit pin so maybe that is different?

Well, I did just give it a try and thankfully, it worked. :) I am using a 4 digit pin so maybe that is different?

Yea I'm not sure. We're talking like 5 years ago already when Windows 10 was new. I don't know if I tried with an adapter disabled, I just know that boot up pc, attempt logon and it failed, wait 30 seconds it worked. Laptop goes to sleep, wake up laptop, try logon and it fails. Repeat until it starts working. Was very annoying at the time.

So if anything it sounds like I need to give it another chance, because they might have fixed whatever the issue was when I used it last.

Every machine I build goes out with just local accounts. I only use local accounts. I love it when people hand me their laptop to fix whatever and I then ask for the password for the Windows account "[email protected]" and get told "I can't give you that, as it's my email password!"

The stupidity is wonderful. I still get the password though.

Installed MS Win 10 home recently for a netbook with a formated hard drive. I always use Pro. No option to use local at setup becasue I was online while installing. Went into users after setup and switched to local. Easy fix but come on...

Microsoft makes more money from their cloud services than they make from Windows now, so it makes sense (for their profits) to push everyone into an account that allows them to push their services.

I mean, who wouldn't want to pay for Office every month instead of paying once and using it for 10 years, right?

It's getting really annoying when I set computers up for people. I almost always set them up with a local account and they are happy I did so when I explain why - but then Microsoft waits a week before pestering them to create an account every time they log in. And those "reminders" don't have a "No" button. The only the options are to register an account or "remind me again in 3 days" tard.gif

Installed MS Win 10 home recently for a netbook with a formated hard drive. I always use Pro. No option to use local at setup becasue I was online while installing. Went into users after setup and switched to local. Easy fix but come on...
The latest issue of W10 does have the local account option enabled bottom left. I think the version before hid it for a while and you had to use the no internet trick to get it but then they updated the installer and it came back later.

Microsoft makes more money from their cloud services than they make from Windows now, so it makes sense (for their profits) to push everyone into an account that allows them to push their services.

I mean, who wouldn't want to pay for Office every month instead of paying once and using it for 10 years, right?

It's getting really annoying when I set computers up for people. I almost always set them up with a local account and they are happy I did so when I explain why - but then Microsoft waits a week before pestering them to create an account every time they log in. And those "reminders" don't have a "No" button. The only the options are to register an account or "remind me again in 3 days" View attachment 317764

You can knock that out in the Notifications section. Just another one of the 49 steps I have to take day on day to setup machines for customers.

Microsoft is pushing their sync and uniform experience across all of their applications. That requires you to be signed in.

They want to mine you and your data as far as possible.

They want to mine you and your data as far as possible.
Microsoft developed the project Freta to scan linux servers for vulnerabilities. In order for you to use it, all you need to do is to upload your data to Microsofts servers. I kid you not.

I just fired up a new Windows 10 installation in a VM, with internet connectivity, and the "Offline account" option is there. Hidden? Easy to miss? I'll let others decide.

Now, I will say, it is widely reported that people have gotten this far and the "Offline account" option isn't there. I personally have not seen this myself, but I trust the people that told me so I'll take their word for it.

The "why" is of course very polarizing. I personally have several Windows 10 devices, and I like that it syncs my wallpaper and settings across them automatically. Now, many people on [H] may have committed to the idea that this doesn't actually happen, or if it does, that it provides no functional benefit. To them, syncing across devices is either not possible, or, completely useless. To them, signing in is purely, 100%, only designed to collect all of your personal information, which MS promptly sells. Of course this must be true, because believing in something overrides the actual reality where MS also has, right there next to "Offline account", a Privacy thing where they explain in quite thorough legalese what they do with all of the data. to them that's all lies I guess.

oobe.PNG

I just fired up a new Windows 10 installation in a VM, with internet connectivity, and the "Offline account" option is there. Hidden? Easy to miss? I'll let others decide.

Now, I will say, it is widely reported that people have gotten this far and the "Offline account" option isn't there. I personally have not seen this myself, but I trust the people that told me so I'll take their word for it.

The "why" is of course very polarizing. I personally have several Windows 10 devices, and I like that it syncs my wallpaper and settings across them automatically. Now, many people on [H] may have committed to the idea that this doesn't actually happen, or if it does, that it provides no functional benefit. To them, syncing across devices is either not possible, or, completely useless. To them, signing in is purely, 100%, only designed to collect all of your personal information, which MS promptly sells. Of course this must be true, because believing in something overrides the actual reality where MS also has, right there next to "Offline account", a Privacy thing where they explain in quite thorough legalese what they do with all of the data. to them that's all lies I guess.

View attachment 318902
That would be good except this screen does not appear on all installs... On most installs the setup prompts to create a Microsoft account and it has _no_ option to cancel or choose an offline account. It has 'accept' and a red cross to close the dialog (implying that user would cancel the whole process if pressing it). This is 100% intentional misleading of the consumer. If you think for a second MS doesn't abuse the data it harvests from your computer, you need to think again. You probably also post stuff on Facebook and IG too, right? :D

It's a damn shame that the current generation of snowflakes have no clue what slavery is and how it's implemented.

Just did a clean install of 20H2 on a laptop and there was no Offline Account option with the Internet connected. Literally disconnecting is the only option. Pretty pathetic, Microsoft.

Last edited:
Just did a clean install of 20H2 on a laptop and there was no Offline Account option with the Internet connected. Literally disconnecting is the only option. Pretty pathetic, Microsoft.
Yes it makes me wonder how two persons can get a different setup dialog. For me and many others I've done installs to, there is no obvious option to bypass the account option but if you choose to seemingly cancel the whole setup, then all of the sudden you get the option to create the local account. I was literally so PO'd when I saw they forced to create the account that I was ready to abandon installing it alltogether.

It's not easy to miss. Just don't be connected to a network when you first install it and you're fine. That's it. Yes the option isn't there when connected to the internet. So don't connect to the internet. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it beyond the scope and abilities of [H] members? No.

I do agree that trying to force online crap on consumers is annoying, but until they actually make it impossible to make an offline account, it's literally a two second fix.

It's not easy to miss. Just don't be connected to a network when you first install it and you're fine. That's it. Yes the option isn't there when connected to the internet. So don't connect to the internet. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it beyond the scope and abilities of [H] members? No.

I do agree that trying to force online crap on consumers is annoying, but until they actually make it impossible to make an offline account, it's literally a two second fix.
The point is that the vast majority of people will be tricked into creating the account. Dishonest business practices have been the trademark of Microsoft since the beginning.

Yes it makes me wonder how two persons can get a different setup dialog. For me and many others I've done installs to, there is no obvious option to bypass the account option but if you choose to seemingly cancel the whole setup, then all of the sudden you get the option to create the local account. I was literally so PO'd when I saw they forced to create the account that I was ready to abandon installing it alltogether.
I've experienced both using the same install media (20H2) on two separate computers.

A Dell laptop previously used with an activated Windows 10 Pro offered the offline account options seen by SuperSubZero.

A desktops I recently put together did not have that option on the same screen. To bypass it, I just typed a random account and a random password. I was then offered the option to make an offline account. I typed random characters out of annoyance to discover this.

Back