Why do modern TVs still use Over-scan?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I know why classical traditional television sets used over-scan back in the day, but with the modern models of HD-TVs we have now, why is overscan still a thing? I had always assumed that it would be dropped with the transition to HDtvs.

I don't think there's a good reason. If the input signal isn't at the native resolution of the panel maybe.
Otherwise overscan makes things look like absolute ass.

Because until ten years ago, you could still buy CRT HDTVs.

CRT = needs overscan to prevent part of the image not being visible. This doesn't magically change when you crank up the resolution. PC monitors made this clear with "X inches viewable" in their spec sheet, which is just the area reserved for overscan.

It also maintains compatibility with SDTVs through converter boxes. Don't forget how many old people are still running those.

Finally, we're only talking about 5% of the screen data lost. It's not like you're bumping 1080p down to 480p

Finally finally, all you have to do to get rid of overscan is change your TV's input type to PC. That automatically gets rid of any scaling issues, and gives you max resolution.

Last edited:
Stayed at a hotel for two weeks for work. Used the TV as a monitor. Everyday when I got back to the room overscan was magically back on.

Because until ten years ago, you could still buy CRT HDTVs.

CRT = needs overscan to prevent part of the image not being visible. This doesn't magically change when you crank up the resolution. PC monitors made this clear with "X inches viewable" in their spec sheet, which is just the area reserved for overscan.

It also maintains compatibility with SDTVs through converter boxes. Don't forget how many old people are still running those.

Finally, we're only talking about 5% of the screen data lost. It's not like you're bumping 1080p down to 480p

Finally finally, all you have to do to get rid of overscan is change your TV's input type to PC. That automatically gets rid of any scaling issues, and gives you max resolution.

Don't forget about rear-projection 1080p DLP, it was "digital" but used overscan due to the complications of using mirrrors to project an image on a screen. There are no 4K rear projection DLP TV's (due to aesthetics of thick overall enclosure, not because of technical limitations).

The overscan becomes an issue with content that relies on the very border of the screen to display useful information. Video games, sports games, news, etc. I tried hooking up my computer once to our 82" DLP when we had it and aside from the blurriness inherent in DLP (which was awesome for movies), like half the start button and task bar were cut off. Same with some video games. Came to really appreciate the "safe zone" option some games had.

A fixed panel display shouldn't have an issue with overscan, assuming you aren't using any type of zoom. It should be able to display 1:1 pixel.

My relatively new 4k TCL still has it. I have to go in and adjust every resolution using it as a monitor with the Nvidia control panel to have the UI on everything fit properly. Its not that hard but just "Why?".

Overscan is a sad relic that still haunts us from the analog CRT tv's time.

That he issue when you have a fast movenet technology group that still interfaces with a slow moving one... or slow adapting population

My relatively new 4k TCL still has it. I have to go in and adjust every resolution using it as a monitor with the Nvidia control panel to have the UI on everything fit properly. Its not that hard but just "Why?".

You should be able to change the input type to PC, and the TV will treat it as 1:1 with no adjustments required.

Both my 2011 LG LCD TV and my 2017 LG OLED both do this fine.

You should be able to change the input type to PC, and the TV will treat it as 1:1 with no adjustments required.

Both my 2011 LG LCD TV and my 2017 LG OLED both do this fine.

The picture quality is amazing for a TV this price but it has basically no options menu to adjust anything. Price you pay for a 55" 4k TV for $300.

The picture quality is amazing for a TV this price but it has basically no options menu to adjust anything. Price you pay for a 55" 4k TV for $300.

Oh, gotcha, that's one of those Roku TVs that even treats the TV Tuner as "Roku channels," right?

Works great for anyone who doesn't tweak a single thing on their TVs. Well, I'll have to remember that the next time I buy a new set.

Oh, gotcha, that's one of those Roku TVs that even treats the TV Tuner as "Roku channels," right?

Works great for anyone who doesn't tweak a single thing on their TVs. Well, I'll have to remember that the next time I buy a new set.

Yep. After a little tweaking I couldn't be happier with it for the price I paid but its definitely locked down to any adjustment hardware side. If all you want is a large 4k 60hz monitor though its value is incredible.

Depends on the model also a lot of the deeper setting for calibration are only available on the Roku phone app to control it with.

Depends on the model also a lot of the deeper setting for calibration are only available on the Roku phone app to control it with.

As in a lot of areas of life, after awhile conventions take root. Broadcasters are used to not worrying about lack of sharpness and clarity at the edges. TV manufacturers, as a result, go along with it.

As in a lot of areas of life, after awhile conventions take root. Broadcasters are used to not worrying about lack of sharpness and clarity at the edges. TV manufacturers, as a result, go along with it.

You may not believe this, but I'm using a CRT HD rear projection TV, and there is a modification by which one can see all of the additional area. One thing I can tell you is that a lot of that peripheral area is not visually distinguished.

Back