Gawd
A = home PC
B = offsite PC
C = work PC

1. I can RDP from A to B.
2. I can RDP from B to A.

3. I can RDP from C to B.
4. I cannot RDP from C to A.

RDP works on my home PC and work PC from 1. and 3. so why won't it work? My IP is dynamic but I write down the IP 1.5hrs before I get to work so surely it wouldn't change so quickly (it should only change when my internet connection is reset). My ports are on default 3389 and they have been port-forwarded properly and I've even tried a specified port but I heard it's blocked at work so I changed my home PC back to default 3389. I know RDP works @ work because I can get into B.......so wtf is going on!

This post seems more appropriate in the "Networking and Security" forum.

I also have had issues RDPing from work to home. Even when other computers, like from my father's house can RDP to mine.

I switched to LogMeIn.com's free service. Much more reliable for me.

Is work firewalled? Do a trace on your firewall and see if you're being blocked. Outgoing and incoming traffic are not the same thing, so don't assume since you can remote in, you should also be able to remote out.

I've noticed you haven't mentioned work-to-offsite. I'm willing to bet it's not just home you cannot access from work.

Is work firewalled? Do a trace on your firewall and see if you're being blocked. Outgoing and incoming traffic are not the same thing, so don't assume since you can remote in, you should also be able to remote out.

I've noticed you haven't mentioned work-to-offsite. I'm willing to bet it's not just home you cannot access from work.

See number 3 in the first post.

Somewhere in the chain of connections it's a firewall/port blocking issue.

My workplace is probably blocking a range of IPs that probably include my Home PC but what I don't get is why they aren't blocking the static IP of the Offsite PC. Both the home PC and Offsite PC are essentially connected through the same ISP (home = Bell, offsite = TekSavvy but TS goes thru Bell).

bah I checked, doublechecked, triplechecked and still missed it :p

What operating system is your home PC using?

Home PC = XP SP3
Offsite PC = 2000 Server
Work PC = XP SP3

I tried LogMeIn. It sucks. Everytime I do something, the desktop takes 3-5 seconds to refresh. I need something way faster than that.

I have the same problem at my work. I figured out that they have to give you special permissions to allow RDP to certain IP ranges. They do this so people can't circumvent the net filter and download/upload non-work appropriate materials through the remote connection. Not only that, but when you're on RDP it's much harder to log the sites you visit and your internet time because you can browse the web through your home computer.

I tried LogMeIn. It sucks. Everytime I do something, the desktop takes 3-5 seconds to refresh. I need something way faster than that.

The only way it would do that is if you didn't have the plugin installed. Install the plugin and don't have crappy bandwidth and you're set.

I have the same problem at my work. I figured out that they have to give you special permissions to allow RDP to certain IP ranges. They do this so people can't circumvent the net filter and download/upload non-work appropriate materials through the remote connection. Not only that, but when you're on RDP it's much harder to log the sites you visit and your internet time because you can browse the web through your home computer.

That sucks then....I know 3 other co-workers in my IT department that can RDP into their home PCs but I can't!

The only way it would do that is if you didn't have the plugin installed. Install the plugin and don't have crappy bandwidth and you're set.

Plugin for my home PC? I installed their app I think, I see it in my taskbar...

Trying switching the RDP listen port on your home machine to port 80, will likely get by any specific port filtering they have.

If that doesn't work, you may need to talk to your IT guys and have them set up the security so you can do it, outbound connections from RDP may be filtered unless specified otherwise.

That sucks then....I know 3 other co-workers in my IT department that can RDP into their home PCs but I can't!

Plugin for my home PC? I installed their app I think, I see it in my taskbar...

Plugin for your internet browser that you're using to connect to a remote machine.

so just remote desktop into the offsite computer and then from there remote to home. Problem solved. Stop thinking too hard.

Is installing Hamachi an option?

If you install free Hamachi on your home and work PC and use the 5.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address you should get through flawlessly. Just another idea.

This may not be an option though depending on your user rights. Remember... Contact your system administrator to see if you're allowed so no one gets all emotional... :rolleyes: Had to throw that in there of course...

Good Luck

Back