Who is still using a Sandy Bridge era chip

i5-2500 in my moms machine. Thought about replacing her computer for xmas this year but says she's happy with it. Getting her a monitor instead and her computer goes on year 11-12 of use? Initially it was a dual core Pentium G540 sandy bridge and upgraded to an Ebay i5 2500.

Last edited:
After you upgrade your GPU Consider also upgrading your monitor to something with Freesync.
VRR provides amazing improvement in gaming experience thanks to elimination of tearing and or input lag caused by V-Sync.
If you do then consider higher resolution higher refresh rate monitor. Even if you expect framerates well below 60fps its still beneficial to have higher refresh rates because drawing image faster reduces input lag. Experience in desktop is also much better. Additional advantage is that lower refresh rate monitors rarely properly sync to 60Hz videos and having higher refresh helps with that a lot. Kinda like 30fps video on 60Hz monitor always look good, even if doubled video framerate and monitor refresh rate do not quite match.
Well, I ended up going ahead and building a new computer using the Thanksgiving week (not Black Friday or Cyber Monday) sales. I did also get a new Freesync 2k monitor. I am loving it all. I probably would have been fine to update just the graphics card as folks suggested. The new comp (update in my sig) is pretty ridiculous for me, but what a blast!
Big note to anyone else looking to build new after a long time: undervolting is the new overclocking! I was pretty surprised that the motherboard seemed to overvolt the CPU right out of the box (to the point of thermal throttling.) Back in the day, the motherboard was set to stock and YOU had to push things. Everything's running cool now, but a bit of a surprise.
And, no worries - the 2500K will still see service as a media/backup server!

After many spec changes & downgrade steps:
Ryzen 5600g + Asrock B550m pro4 --> Intel i3 12100F + Asus B660i Strix --> Ryzen 4350g + Asrock B450m hdv

Finally traded my 4350g with my friend's SB rig [Intel i5 2500k + Gigabyte H77N + 2x 4gb Hynix 1066mhz c9 kits].
So far still can do basic / daily tasks with occasional games using intel stock cooler:
> The CPU temp is pegged to 72c, max 76c.
> The imc is not that good, max bclk oc only 105, but daily at 103.
> multi locked to 34x only LMAO.
> ram can be tuned to 1372mhz 9-8-8-24 trfc 94 1T 1.48v.

i5-2500 in my moms machine. Thought about replacing her computer for xmas this year but says she's happy with it. Getting her a monitor instead and her computer goes on year 11-12 of use? Initially it was a dual core Pentium G540 sandy bridge and upgraded to an Ebay i5 2500.
For the %99 a new monitor is far more special!
Unless it is a HDD & RAM limited machine. Which case they are in a world of hurt, and seeing it better with a monitor is not a gift :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For the %99 a new monitor is far more special!
Unless it is a HDD & RAM limited machine. Which case they are in a world of hurt, and seeing it better with a monitor is not a gift :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
8 GB of Ram and an ancient 60 GB SATA SSD running Windows 10. Facebook, bookwork, recipes, and solitaire is their use. She was happy with the monitor.

8 GB of Ram and an ancient 60 GB SATA SSD running Windows 10. Facebook, bookwork, recipes, and solitaire is their use. She was happy with the monitor.
All joking aside, beside "security patches", people would be surprised how good old PCs can still be if gaming is not your thing. My Wife doesn't game anymore, so her PC is an old LGA775 platform I used to game on over a decade ago. Threw a Q9450 (OC to 3.6Ghz) in there with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD with a GTX1080. For what she does (photo editing, FB, YouTube) it works perfectly. It boots pretty damn quick too, I have Windows 10 64bit on that unit.

I'm still running a bunch of Ivy/Sandy Bridge Xeons in my homelab. Currently running (x2) E5-2697 v2 and (x2) E5-2648L v2

Still rocking an i5-3570 (non-K). 16GB of RAM and 500GB SSD as my main drive and it’s still snappy.

Until a couple of weeks ago, i was still using my i5-2500K and 16G RAM from more than 10 years ago. It is good for daily drive and light work.

SSD is an SSD. On a older machine it is a world of difference. Monitor for the win. You're a good son!

Back