Who is mining with 3XXX or cards?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I'm curious if anyone from the regulars here has updated their mining farms to use 3XXX cards?

Scarcity being what it is I haven't even been able to get one for gaming. But the profits with BTC skyrocketing is lucrative for mining.
Simply using nicehash looks like you could pay off a 3080 in about 6 months right now.

Still - gotta have one to do it. I can't believe how hard it is to get a card right now. During 2017/2018, I was buying cards by the dozen when everyone else said it was pretty much impossible. Currently - it is pretty impossible.

Honestly rx 580s are still looking like a better buy. Last time I mined ether it was on 290s (29mh/s) and I bought them for $80 or so a piece a few years ago. Sold them for $100 each and they appear to still be sitting right around there

I plan to pickup a mix of 3060Ti's and 3080's once I can actually get them at MSRP.

I sold all my 1080Ti's a few weeks back since I could get $500 a pop vs. around $300 the month before. I have been riding them hard for 3 years mining, but they all still performed flawlessly when I sold them. They were almost all EVGA.

I did manage to pick up 16 5700XT cards before things got really crazy, which average about 57 MH/s with BIOS mod and very low power usage at around 120 watts or so. I got a couple for around $300, but most of them ended up costing me closer to $400.

I do have a EVGA 3090 Hybrid that I'm mining with that does 120 MH/s. Terrible value however, but it was the only 3000 series I could get a list price (actually 5% off since I purchased through EVGA queue and used an associate's code). RAM on back side gets very hot mining ETH, so I have to run a fan across it at full speed to keep from loosing hashrate.

I'm in all the EVGA queues for 3060Ti and 3080 cards. Hoping for a big drop week after next. I got all this cash burning a hole in my pocket from selling all those 1080Tis (as well as a bunch of 1070's and 1070Ti's).

While the AMD cards are quite efficient, they are a pain to keep stable near the edge. My nVidia rigs would run stable for months. I consider myself lucky if my AMD rigs run for a week without needing a cold reset.

I plan to pickup a mix of 3060Ti's and 3080's once I can actually get them at MSRP.

I sold all my 1080Ti's a few weeks back since I could get $500 a pop vs. around $300 the month before. I have been riding them hard for 3 years mining, but they all still performed flawlessly when I sold them. They were almost all EVGA.

I did manage to pick up 16 5700XT cards before things got really crazy, which average about 57 MH/s with BIOS mod and very low power usage at around 120 watts or so. I got a couple for around $300, but most of them ended up costing me closer to $400.

I do have a EVGA 3090 Hybrid that I'm mining with that does 120 MH/s. Terrible value however, but it was the only 3000 series I could get a list price (actually 5% off since I purchased through EVGA queue and used an associate's code). RAM on back side gets very hot mining ETH, so I have to run a fan across it at full speed to keep from loosing hashrate.

I'm in all the EVGA queues for 3060Ti and 3080 cards. Hoping for a big drop week after next. I got all this cash burning a hole in my pocket from selling all those 1080Tis (as well as a bunch of 1070's and 1070Ti's).

While the AMD cards are quite efficient, they are a pain to keep stable near the edge. My nVidia rigs would run stable for months. I consider myself lucky if my AMD rigs run for a week without needing a cold reset.
thats good to know about the memory on the 3090 for more reasons then even mining

Yup. AMD rigs were not nearly as set and forget for me either

I mined with RX580 primarily from AMD but briefly tried Fury X and Vega too.

I decided no more AMD cards at the time. I’d set overclocks and under voltages and the next time I’d check one for the cards had seemingly randomly lost its settings and was running super hot at stock voltage. It was seemingly random cause it wasn’t ever the same card or riser board.

that RARELY happened with nvidia. I could leave my nvidia mining rigs untouched for a month and they’d be fine. AMD rigs I’d have to fuzz with every day or two.

My amd cards were rock solid (480s, 290s, and a bunch of firepros) I would always flash the bioses with the clocks, voltage and timings I used. Amd drivers are also much easier to make work in weird configurations or with a bunch of cards under windows.

Same here, mined on everything from 280x all the way to Vega 64 and had very good experience with claymores releases. One thing I remember is that drivers were really important and often enough I had to stick to one version for awhile

Happy to see everyone scrambling to get rigs up and running. I am dry in terms of hardware, ressurecting Athlon 6000+s and I just installed drivers for a 8600GTS hoping for the best

Guy selling 8 rx580s at 150 a piece, enticing

been mining a bit on my 3090. I'm at $44.61 in my nicehash wallet, starting on dec 18th to today (dec 28). Running mostly 24/7 with exception of gaming and some work a few hours a day (sometimes I leave nicehash running though). At the recent rate it's like 20 month ROI.

been mining a bit on my 3090. I'm at $44.61 in my nicehash wallet, starting on dec 18th to today (dec 28). Running mostly 24/7 with exception of gaming and some work a few hours a day (sometimes I leave nicehash running though). At the recent rate it's like 20 month ROI.
Mining profits back that high mean continued completion for incoming new generation cards from miners. $40 bucks in 10 days is quite nice!

Doesn’t match the hay days of 2017/2018 where a 1080TI was making the equivalent of $12 per day at the peak for just under a week, but if you held onto that $12 a day at that time it’s probably worth $24 a day now!!!!

I’d expect the price of BTC to be higher in 3 years than it is now. So, same principle applies.

Mining profits back that high mean continued completion for incoming new generation cards for miners. $40 bucks in 10 days is quite nice!
It uses about 300w, I have it set - 500 core +500 memory, and 85% fan (since it does indeed affect hash rate, even though core is at like 50c)

It uses about 300w, I have it set - 500 core +500 memory, and 85% fan (since it does indeed affect hash rate, even though core is at like 50c)
With my pascal cards I used afterburner and throttled them to 66% power or 70% power, and 585Mhz memory overclock. That was stable for everything at the time and used 1/3 less power for probably 5% less hash.
(Both 1080TI and 1070 — same settings!)

might try lowering your power target with afterburner to see if you can’t save some energy cost/heat. Try leaving core alone at default and just adjust power target and memory. Core clock speed will adjust as needed and be pretty optimal on new nvidia cards without touching it.

With my pascal cards I used afterburner and throttled them to 66% power or 70% power, and 585Mhz memory overclock. That was stable for everything at the time and used 1/3 less power for probably 5% less hash.
(Both 1080TI and 1070 — same settings!)

might try lowering your power target with afterburner to see if you can’t save some energy cost/heat. Try leaving core alone at default and just adjust power target and memory. Core clock speed will adjust as needed and be pretty optimal on new nvidia cards without touching it.
since it seems to use phoenixminer for eth 99% of the time, I will do the 'benchmark' for that algo at a few different power limits.

"stock" settings other than fan (100% for all) and power limit, then -500/+500. Watts = board power as read from GPU-z, averaged for benchmark duration.

power limit/(MH/s) [MH/w]:
114%/105.996515 [0.31]
-500/+500: 112.522485 [0.32] (347w)
100%/106.066060 [0.31]
-500/+500: 112.472148 [0.32] (347w)
90%/106.153488 [0.34]
-500/+500: 112.452278 [0.36] (315w)
-500/+750: 115.453972 [0.37]
85%
-500+750: 115.429135 [0.39] (298w)
80%/106.417096.666667 [0.38]
-500/+500: 111.934995 [0.40] (281w)
-500/+750: 110.222201 [0.39]
75%
-500+750: 101.07604 [0.39] (260w)
70%/096.600654 [0.40]
-500/+500: 094.473570 [0.39] (243w)

Last edited:
Looks like 80% power target is your sweet spot.
give up ~1% performance, save 20% on power.

NiceHash calc says 98MH/s at 240 watts is their target on the 3080. So you are right in that wheelhouse.
https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/nvidia-rtx-3080

I'd still say try turning off your core mhz manual adjustment and just let the drivers do it. I should have my first RTX 3080 in a few days (if the shipping date holds at Adorama) and can test more then too.
1609255999535.png

Just picked up a 3070 Asus dual and sold the 1070ti that was in the slot it replaced. gave it a rough tune of 50% power target +1100 memory and -300 core and its doing 61MH/s at 120w This is pretty much the same power level as the card it replaced but double the hash rate.

It was kind of weird, I started it out with 65% power and same memory / core as above and it was drawing 160w and the hashrate was the same.. I kept dropping the power target and no change till around 50%. I actually didn't test lower so i might do that later.

It was kind of weird, I started it out with 65% power and same memory / core as above and it was drawing 160w and the hashrate was the same.. I kept dropping the power target and no change till around 50%. I actually didn't test lower so i might do that later.
all depends on the algo. Not all of them will utilize max power limit like a 4K game. I've set tdp to 115% on my 3090 and seen mining use 75% instead. Are you talking phoenix miner eth?

OH sure i get that it's just that almost all of my other cards are exhibiting at least some scaling with power targets running the same algo. Yes Phoenix / eth
But again I just got it today so have not had much time to play around with it.

This is like one giant ass to mouth train with the way these cards exhaust XD This is why i didn't buy a founders card today when i had the chance.

snagged another 3070 today. Got it used from someone who got a white card that matched his build better but this means i got it at a very good price for the used market. MSI Ventus 3x. seems like a very nice card and its running cool as a cucumber. (phasing out the older cards slowly here)

Eth finally started scaling up with Bitcoin - Goodbye GPU's, I knew thee well

I downloaded NiceHash again - the newest version, and tried to enable Phoenix miner. I can't get it to enable at all. I keep getting benchmark failed.
I've got a 3080 and a 1080TI hookedup.

Troubleshooting steps -
Reset nvidia cards to default clocks and speeds
Set windows page file to 100GB
Set Phoenix Miner limitation to avoid 5GB VRAM limit in json file (set setting to true as advised on nicehash help)
Turned off Windows Firewall
Turned off firewall on ASUS router.
Turned off AV
Set AV exclusions for install path in appdata/local
re-installed and uninstalled several times
tried the full zipped password encrypted distribution
tried copying the phoenix miner alogorithm program folders over the top of the installed version from the full zipped password protected encrypted distrbution to the NiceHash installer folder
fully re-installed windows 10 and tried re-installing nicehash before patching, and tried it after patching.

Nothing seems to work. For you guys who have it working -- how did you do it? Nice Hash's Excavator works, but not Phoenix minter... Spent far too much time on this to have failed. I can't benchmark on either card with it.

I downloaded NiceHash again - the newest version, and tried to enable Phoenix miner. I can't get it to enable at all. I keep getting benchmark failed.

Troubleshooting steps -
Set Phoenix Miner limitation to avoid 5GB VRAM limit in json file (set setting to true as advised on nicehash help)
Turned off AV
tried copying the phoenix miner alogorithm program folders over the top of the installed version from the full zipped password protected encrypted distrbution to the NiceHash installer folder
fully re-installed windows 10 and tried re-installing nicehash before patching, and tried it after patching.

Nothing seems to work. For you guys who have it working -- how did you do it? Nice Hash's Excavator works, but not Phoenix minter... Spent far too much time on this to have failed. I can't benchmark on either card with it.
try uninstalling and reinstalling? I literally did nothing but install nicehash to have phoenix miner work. Clean install of windows 10, latest nvidia driver, nicehash. That's it.

Figured

Troubleshooting steps -
Turned off AV

Windows really like to flag the files of the miner and NH as virus. I usually download zip file and then add exclusion then unzip and add folder exclusion. usually it tris to flag files durring th unzip so i tell it to ignore in security settings or "allow on device"
If its not that then
1. try running NH as admin?
2. Update device drivers and use the "Nvidia Standard" drivers
3. Try using Dagger for NBMiner or Trex they are pretty much as fast.

Edit and yeah i do the version that is the zip file not the one that actually installs in like a program so try that instead.

Just got an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra today.

Running Phoenix miner 5.4c and the latest 461.09 drivers, I get the following:

miner_console_3080.PNG

And the view from Awesome Miner:

AM_1_7_21.PNG

The power efficiency is way superior to even a BIOS modded 5700 XT and it makes 1070Ti's look absolutely terrible.

Once Flight Sim is done downloading and I take it for a quick spin, sure. It's a 128GB download... :(

I’m still using excavator but when I take power level down to 60% trying to match your setting I get knocked down to 75Mh/s. Jump it back up to 80% power target and I got back to 95Mh/s

trying to download the old nvidia drivers and update per DPI advice and see if I can get Phoenix working.

I’m still using excavator but when I take power level down to 60% trying to match your setting I get knocked down to 75Mh/s. Jump it back up to 80% power target and I got back to 95Mh/s

trying to download the old nvidia drivers and update per DPI advice and see if I can get Phoenix working.
I think the gddr6x needs a certain (significant) amount of power to work properly, and that is ultimately the threshold you are seeing.

Troubleshooting steps -
Turned off AV

I found out the problem - why the Phoneix Miner couldn't benchmark on NiceHash (even with a fresh install of windows). It was my ASUS AC3100 Router's IPS service. I was looking through my router logs and found it. Dang I spent like six hours trying to track this down. NiceHash said to disable the Asus Router firewall, but they never mentioned the IPS service.
1610067301590.png

Glad you figured it out!

mnewxcv

2 minutes after starting:

3080_2min.PNG

60 minutes later:

3080_60min.PNG

PL = 60
Core -150
Mem + 1250

The FTW3 Ultra has a stock core boost clock of 1800MHz and I have the BIOS switch on normal as opposed to OC. I plan to flash both BIOS's with the XOC ones that Jakob posted over on the EVGA forum. Not that it will help with mining, but should be good for some 450 watt runs on Fire Strike, lol.

DPI. I tried those custom power target curves back in 2018. Seemed too labor intensive for racks full of cards. Simple Power targets work and seem to be pretty darn close to good enough and saves the long tinkering times anyway.

I mined with probably well over a couple dozen 1080ti and + 585 MHz memory speed was my setting. It worked for all cards. I liked setting a to be unified. I had many disparate makes and models of pascal. A tad higher might work for some but it wasn’t worth messing with, cause they were rock stable with 585Mhz, but at 600 or 615 I’d start having cards drop out.

So I’m not sure I agree that every card is a unique snowflake. At least in the context of mining with multiple dozens of pascal cards. 1070 and 1080ti primarily. I didn’t do any Turing mining and this is my first ampere card. I had sold everything except for one Asus BTC250 21 slot board. At this junction I’ll probably try to start spinning back up and at least get one rig populated when the cards come into stock. Here’s hoping the 3060 cards look good.

I cannot match @pclausens power target on my 3080. I can only drop to 72% power target without affecting hashrate and any below that starts chipping off hashrate hard on my EVGA X3. 60% power target and I’m down to the mid 75Mh/s. Perhaps Ampere is more finiky and unique card to card???
However, I’ve been tickling up memory and I’ve not yet found the limit. I’m at 1400Mhz now and that creates 102MH/s. Every tick up on memory has been stable and faster so far.
Stable while I ate diner. Rigs been running 1.5 hours now on Phoenix miner. 1400Mhz O/C on VRAM.

Attachments

• D6B739B1-2113-42FB-A1AC-BF23670E5683.jpeg
    D6B739B1-2113-42FB-A1AC-BF23670E5683.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glad you figured it out!

mnewxcv

2 minutes after starting:

View attachment 316958

60 minutes later:

View attachment 316960

PL = 60
Core -150
Mem + 1250

The FTW3 Ultra has a stock core boost clock of 1800MHz and I have the BIOS switch on normal as opposed to OC. I plan to flash both BIOS's with the XOC ones that Jakob posted over on the EVGA forum. Not that it will help with mining, but should be good for some 450 watt runs on Fire Strike, lol.
Awesome, looks like evga did cooling properly. Some cards have memory overheat while mining and lose hash rate.

DPI. I tried those custom power target curves back in 2018. Seemed a too labor intensive for racks full of cards. Simple Power targets work and seem to be pretty darn close to good enough and saves the long tinkering times anyway.

I mined with probably well over a couple dozen 1080ti and + 585 MHz memory speed was my setting. It worked for all cards. I liked Unison. I had many disparate makes and models. A tad higher might work for some but it wasn’t worth messing with, cause they were rock stable with 585Mhz. And at 600 or 615 I’d start having cards drop out.

So I’m not sure I agree that every card is a unique snowflake. At least in the context of mining with dozens of pascal cards. I didn’t do any turning mining and this is my first ampere card. I had sold everything except for one Asus BTC250 21 card board. At this junction I’ll probably try to start spinning back up and at least get one rig populated.

I cannot match @pclausens power target. I can drop to 72% power target without affecting hashrate and any below that starts chipping off hashrate hard on my EVGA X3 3080. 60% power target and I’m down to the mid 75Mh/s. Perhaps Ampere is more finiky and unique card to card.
However. I’ve been tickling up memory and I’ve not yet found the limit. I’m at 1400Mhz now and 102MH/s. Every tick up on memory has been stable and faster so far.
Stable while I ate diner. Rigs been running 1.5 hours now on Phoenix miner. Stable at 1400Mhz O/C on VRAM.
View attachment 316961
Keep an eye on hash rate. Once it starts going down you are either getting errors or the memory is running hot. I'd run it a couple percent under peak personally.

Back