Who is buying a 3090?

I doubt anyone has any 3090s in store.

Having no stock is also a complete possibility. It's hard to overstate just how fucked global shipping logistics are at the moment.

Some longshoreman somewhere could have 10 containers worth waiting for inspection and no-one would admit it publicly.

Even the lack of flight has fucked a lot of things, stuff like this where they sometimes fly stuff ahead of the boats could easily get capacity constrained and miss their window.

Microcenter Westmont IL... 3 Asus TUF in stock. They are going to open in one hour... Have fun.

Also Microcenter Chicago:
1600955947019.png

That's no more than a $20 turd. I'm sure we've all laid some worth a few c notes in our time.

No it doesn't happen with Ti cards, not like this. Yes they do sell out, but this is way worse than any high end launch I've seen. I managed to snag a 2080ti, 1080ti, and 980ti on launch day with little issue.

Only logical conclusion is that nVidia has no stock and rushed to get these out the door.

You're absolutely right, and then there is also the shareholder aspect and stock price. "Look how insane the demand for our product is!" - that pushes share prices up. To get the big picture you have to look at their share price over the past 6 months to a year a least. Jensen Huang wants to keep that momentum going, even in an otherwise terrible year like 2020.

Lastly, if 2020 was any other year with fewer problems and a better economy, the 3080 wouldn't have been released with such a powerful GPU. However, NVIDIA needs those sales badly because the 20 series is just about out of oomph. Or was already, to be more precise. So no more money was coming in from that.

The new gig economy: scalping! I'm glad I didn't wake up for this like I did the 3080 fiasco. I guess I'll be writing a bot for the AMD cards...

Was looking for one but cant find any in stock. Looking at the reviews though think I'll get more enjoyment spending the extra $$$ on a couple of really nice steaks.

Out of curiosity I drove to my local Microcenter (Westmont,IL) since it says they have 3 in stock, but don't open for an 30mins (1.5hrs from when I got there). There were about 30 people outside in a line so I drove home, lol.

Out of curiosity I drove to my local Microcenter (Westmont,IL) since it says they have 3 in stock, but don't open for an 30mins (1.5hrs from when I got there). There were about 30 people outside in a line so I drove home, lol.

LOL god damn! Is that for the 3090s? I bet most of them are scalpers.

Got a RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra from EVGA. I honestly wanted a RTX 3080 instead but will think about it. Might sell this off to a long-time and trusted [H] member here at cost + shipping. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Cancelled the order. EVGA's shitty website charged me 4 times for $1950. When I called their customer service to resolve the extra charges they said they can't see the individual charges and which one was tied to my purchase and what the others were charged for. Told them to just cancel everything. Not going to play around with almost $8000 in charges for a GPU that I don't even really want.

Last edited:
Got a RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra from EVGA. I honestly wanted a RTX 3080 instead but will think about it. Might sell this off to a long-time and trusted [H] member here at cost + shipping. Stay tuned.
I'm guessing with the extra power these cards will be more stable at least.

LOL god damn! Is that for the 3090s? I bet most of them are scalpers.

I assume so, I didn't bother getting out and asking anyone. I didn't realize there was that many enthusiasts in my area since I've never seen anything like this before.

That's like $1799+tax+shipping... ouch. I can't get over the fact that when you turn the card the front and back look like clown lips:

rtx3090.png

EVGA is already addressing the issue and will send free parts to replace/cover up the red accents.

I know, but they shouldn't have done this in the first place. Think before you greenlight manufacturing and release a product?! Just saying...

I was so close, but I kept getting an error when I click Add to Cart,

3090-EVGA-error.jpg

That's like $1799+tax+shipping... ouch. I can't get over the fact that when you turn the card the front and back look like clown lips:

View attachment 282338

LMAO! Now I'll never get that image out of my mind. I don't know what EVGA was thinking with that design, it's so damn ugly. ASUS and NVIDIA executed w/the best designs IMO, everyone else either has recycled nasty designs w/plastic or overly colored puke.

Did Amazon ever have the 30 series cards on their site? I've been checking every now and then and all I see are 20 series.

LMAO! Now I'll never get that image out of my mind. I don't know what EVGA was thinking with that design, it's so damn ugly. ASUS and NVIDIA executed w/the best designs IMO, everyone else either has recycled nasty designs w/plastic or overly colored puke.

View attachment 282338
LMAO I was thinking of Mr. Bill.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well that was fun. I'll just wait for when these things are actually in stock.

Just going to pick up a 48 CX instead to put out the fire on the CC in my pocket.

Personally if I were (again) going for a 3090, I'd only go for the FE or ASUS. The rest of the brands are pretty meh.

My GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G has been fantastic. Well built, reliable, etc. I have no complaints. It's been the only card of theirs I've ever owned. I've had ASUS Strix cards and a few others. All fine really.

My GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G has been fantastic. Well built, reliable, etc. I have no complaints. It's been the only card of theirs I've ever owned. I've had ASUS Strix cards and a few others. All fine really.

Well I'm speaking strictly of the new 30 Series versions. The Gigabyte ones are amongst the ugliest:
6430623_sd.jpg

That popped up AFTER I posted that. Or, I hadn't seen that until after I posted it. I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe.
I figured that might be the case. I'm actually surprised it's not a bit more but understand you don't always get perfect scaling either. A couple percent slower core clock plus imperfect scaling. I imagine some work loads will be closer to 20% (blender is a good example) and plenty of games are going to be < 10%. Either way, kind of disappointing for the amount extra they want for it. It also doesn't leave much room for a ti/super version... half split the 3080 and 3090 and a ti/super would only be 5% give or take... outside of increased memory, I don't see them being able to do much of a refresh without pissing of a lot of people who spend that much on a 3090, lol.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I understand not having pre-orders for the first batch of cards. At that point a pre-order is just a purchase with no product yet. Bots and eager folks would snatch all those up in the exact same way, just like they did for the PS5 and new Xbox.
The ability to pre-buy subsequent stock refreshes in advance would be nice, though.

I understand not having pre-orders for the first batch of cards. At that point a pre-order is just a purchase with no product yet. Bots and eager folks would snatch all those up in the exact same way, just like they did for the PS5 and new Xbox.
The ability to pre-buy subsequent stock refreshes in advance would be nice, though.

While bots could snatch up the first few batches of cards, I also feel that it would disincentivize them, which would be a good thing. Because the people buying from scalpers are going to be the ones who want it now. But if they knew they could purchase one, and it would have an October release date, they may not buy from the scalper in the first place, which would thus lower scalper demand.

Like for me personally, I don't need a 3090 tomorrow. I'd just like to have one before November. Not that I'm buying via a scalper, I'll just be holding off. But it certainly would be nice to know that I'm in some sort of line, rather than having to play a lottery system against scalpers who will constantly keep artificial demand going.

Back