Who is buying a 3090?

Sony cassettes? Amazing! LOL
Speaking of Sony Cassettes,(Segway) that reminds me of what a 3090 looks like...they are both rectangles.

I am going to have to look into the Evga Wednesday deal that everyone's talking about. I think though, outside of price, its the fact that where technology is today, the previous generation cards can still hold themselves up pretty well. And there is also the Big Navi.

Others have said it and I find truth in it: "Don't buy the first major revision of nVidia tech". The second generation will have many bugs worked out and usually on a smaller lithography. RTX 2080 ti for me just wasn't leaps and bounds faster than the 1080ti Strix so I skipped RTX 20xx altogether. Also I don't usually build a 100% new system all at once. It's just too costly. When 2080ti was released I had just built my current Threadripper with just about everything else NEW except the video card. I've always tried to have fast systems. It's not the most prudent way to spend money..... but..... My business is to repair, service and upgrade other people's computer systems. Having the actual hardware on hand and the experience with it for me provides more "street cred" than just pointing to something online and giving my opinion of it to clients. Some of my clients are also into content creation where the 3090 could have advantages.

I had never heard of "Mid Week Madness". Interesting. I wonder if such applies to new releases.
https://www.evga.com/midweekmadness/

Founders edition, runs quiet and cool.
System power peaks at ~580W, so a 750W Gold PSU should be good enough if you don't run a monstrous CPU. Mine is a i7 9700F.

Last edited:
Founders edition, runs quiet and cool.
System power peaks at ~580W, so a 750W Gold PSU should be good enough if you don't run a monster CPU. Mine is a 9700F.

nice. You might want to add another intake fan though. Looks like you only have the single front intake, which with the rear fan plus the fact that the 3090 exhausts some heat directly out of the case, you have a negative pressure situation, even if you don't have top exhaust fans, which would be more negative pressure. Basically it just means your CPU fan is pulling air, but from no direct path, so pulling from wherever it can get air, not necessarily through a fan filter, which will lead to more dust in the case.

nice. You might want to add another intake fan though. Looks like you only have the single front intake, which with the rear fan plus the fact that the 3090 exhausts some heat directly out of the case, you have a negative pressure situation, even if you don't have top exhaust fans, which would be more negative pressure. Basically it just means your CPU fan is pulling air, but from no direct path, so pulling from wherever it can get air, not necessarily through a fan filter, which will lead to more dust in the case.
Good point. Only have two of these corsair fan and I'm hesitate to add more fans because want a quiet PC. So far it's been manageable and runs quiet :)

My friend ran into issues with games crashing a few minutes into playing after installing his 3090. There would be an audible hum or coil whine. He was running a Corsair HX750i, which should have been enough, but it was bought in 2014. I swapped it out with a Corsair AX1200 PSU and now he no longer crashes or has the audible whine. I should have taken some footage in case people are trying to troubleshoot similar issues.

Attachments

• PXL_20201024_053048396.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20201024_053048396.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201024_053451099.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20201024_053451099.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 0
My friend ran into issues with games crashing a few minutes into playing after installing his 3090. There would be an audible hum or coil whine. He was running a Corsair HX750i, which should have been enough, but it was bought in 2014. I swapped it out with a Corsair AX1200 PSU and now he no longer crashes or has the audible whine. I should have taken some footage in case people are trying to troubleshoot similar issues.
If he has any more problems he can send me the 3090 for free troubleshooting.

Wow, that's crazy. The HX750i is a top quality PSU, too.

I finally got around to installing it after 3 days. It's thicker than a 1080ti Strix but not any longer.

Attachments

• Threadripper + RTX 3090.jpg
    Threadripper + RTX 3090.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’m not in the US but for the first time since launch the 3090 (gigabyte one) is in stock. Over rrp but there.

Im sure it’s nothing to do with cancellations after yesterday’s announcements

I still don’t have mine of course. I love you 2020

On topic, snagged a 2nd 3090 for myself. For my fellow Canuck [H] I have a 3090 XC3 for sale at cost + shipping (if not local) for anyone interested. PM me for details

Decided to go to Microcenter today before work and snagged a 3090. Feeling dirty now.

I think the upcoming 3080 Ti is gonna make the 3090 look like a very bad value buy. I'm betting it comes in at $999 with 20GB. But you know... at least you have 4GB more RAM with the 3090 for just $500 more. ;)

I think the upcoming 3080 Ti is gonna make the 3090 look like a very bad value buy. I'm betting it comes in at $999 with 20GB. But you know... at least you have 4GB more RAM with the 3090 for just $500 more. ;)
Idk if I'd get rid of my 3090 or not in thst case. I have down some deep learning workloads that push it right to 24gb, and maxed it out in unreal engine as well. But $500...

It was always a bad value buy and then you add on the AIBs $100+ extra. Right now there's an EVGA FTW3 3090 being sold for "Cost" in the FS threads at $2025. It's absurd that a card that is 10-15% better than a "$699" FE card is $1300 more. You're never going to get that kind of value out of it unless you do real work on it.

Last edited:
It was always a bad value buy and then you add on the AIBs $100+ extra. Right now there's an EVGA FTW3 3090 being sold for "Cost" in the FS threads at $2025. It's absurd that a card that is 10-15% better than a "$699" FE card is $1300 more. You're never going to get that kind of value out of it unless you do real work on it.
Or you just want it for the he’ll of it. I seriously thought about it just because- my friend does ML work on his, mine would just be gaming, but... nah. Gonna be happy with my 3080

No kidding! Meanwhile I have a 3090 and can use it. People that own 3090s generally don't care about the price. They want the best. Let me know when the 3090 Ti is out!

No kidding! Meanwhile I have a 3090 and can use it. People that own 3090s generally don't care about the price. They want the best. Let me know when the 3090 Ti is out!
they should do a 3090x2, now that would be something :D

Evidently, these are a lot more available than their 3080 counterparts. Browsing the FS front page shows three or four of them available at cost. Buyers remorse?

3090's have been less mythical since launch. I've helped plenty people get one and its felt off how much easier it's been. Shouldnt be with lower supposed yield, they sure have little problem keeping these trickling out at a higher number.

I think one thing that the Moore's Law is Dead guy is right on is that the $699 3080 is produced to be somewhat mythical. That's why there are barely any at that price. The 3090, on the other hand, has a lot of profit built into it PLUS it is super expensive so most probably already got one if they wanted it.

I had zero "gaming feel" change going from a 2080 Ti to a 3090 (3440x1440/120Hz), but no remorse here. The one small worry I have is resale value. I think the 3090 will be a much tougher sell than the 2080 Ti in a year or two down the road when something better is out.

Reactions: sethk
like this
I actually think resale value of the 3090 will be ok. These cards have uses outside of gaming. Never thought I'd pay less than $400 to own a 2080Ti for two years either.... but here we are.

I actually think resale value of the 3090 will be ok. These cards have uses outside of gaming. Never thought I'd pay less than $400 to own a 2080Ti for two years either.... but here we are.

Yeah, where I am going with my small concern is the rumor of all of these versions slotted throughout the portfolio - i.e. 3070 Ti, 3080 Ti - plus the larger memory versions. NVIDIA always knows how to squeeze a buck out of everyone, so maybe my worries are unfounded. 😁

Yeah, where I am going with my small concern is the rumor of all of these versions slotted throughout the portfolio - i.e. 3070 Ti, 3080 Ti - plus the larger memory versions. NVIDIA always knows how to squeeze a buck out of everyone, so maybe my worries are unfounded. 😁
If the 3060ti actually launches on the rumored dec 2nd date, then I'll have some faith a 3080ti might actually show up. Until then, it's fantasy.

Aaaaand I caved and ordered a Evga 3090 ftw3 ultra, it's a very fast card, it's currently traveling over the US at over 500 mph.

Pairing it with an LG 38GL950G-B

Have an Aorus Master 3090 on the way thanks to a [H] member here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otherwise, it looks like some ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity could be incoming in a few days. Anybody have some good things to say about that?

Back