Who is buying a 3090?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Here is what "I" know and probably the bulk of "us" know.

10 % better on avg gaming
I have no idea about productivity because nVidia is being a total BITCH and not releasing benches until the friggin day of sale? Oh gee you worried Jensen that your $1499 card is a total fraud?

2.14x the price

14 GiB more ram

So ..... whos going to get one?

so is this card a total flop because of its price?

Sounds to me like nV is scared as fuck of AMD and rushed to get 3080 to the printing press and now the 3090 is looking like a performance flop.

Yeah yeah I know its a productivity slash gaming card.

Last edited:
This guy already has one and look how huge this goofy looking video card is:
9B70737E-1E65-4F19-9C6D-794F5E30C820.png

Gonna try, but really don't hold much hope. Vendors here are already doing a 'lottery' to get the right to buy one.

Bit screwed really as I do actually need to do my new workstation as it's affecting my work now, I can wait another couple of weeks (and will wait till Oct 8th on the miniscule chance there's anything updated from AMD, as I don't actually have time to build it before then anyway) but beyond that I'm out of runway and nfi what I'll do.

So basically if don't get it at launch, I'm probably screwed. Already resigned to the fact I'll have to redo the cooling when I can actually get a waterblock for one and don't have quick connects which is bad enough.

I am in no rush but i want to stuff that 3090 blower into a Dan A4 take it with me offshore and let that bitch render 24/7 for the 28 days I am out and do that each time i go out. I can also let that bitch rock outside the house under the house port and never have to deal with heat and will be un effected by rain also. Tho I would bring it in if it rains.

Gu
I am in no rush but i want to stuff that 3090 blower into a Dan A4 take it with me offshore and let that bitch render 24/7 for the 28 days I am out and do that each time i go out. I can also let that bitch rock outside the house under the house port and never have to deal with heat and will be un effected by rain also. Tho I would bring it in if it rains.

“Control Room: Guys we’re showing an energy drain in the dorms, it’s using more power than than the water pumps...where’s Epyon and his fuckin’ nerd box”

or something

I was soooo on board for getting one, but I can wait for benchmarks. I'm still on x99, for that $700 I can get a new mobo and processor plus a 3080 (eventually).

Plus I'm only gaming at 1440p so it would be pretty overkill. I dunno, I cant decide. Part of me is trying to justify it but $1500 is a lot for one gpu.

Will upgrade to either 3080 or 3090, depending on review.

Sold 2080 Ti for $900 and currently using 980 Ti.

Might wait until next month to see what AMD have.

I am (probably) getting one. It's a very simple calculation to make for me. I want the fastest I can get with the most ram that is in my budget range that I will hold on to for at least 3 years. I have some programs that require CUDA for non CPU based processing. AMD cards are not supported so navi really doesn't really interest me even if it's as good or better than the 3090.

Either way I am sitting back and waiting mainly because no one is going to have a 3090 I want at launch. I won't buy a 3090 with an air cooler. It has an AIO cooler or it won't go into my system. As far as the performance increase goes, 10% will of course make me question the value of the card vs a 20GB 3080 but a 20GB 3080 will most likely be $1000 when they are released, so to me the price difference is going to be about $500 so I don't think the price difference is that big at 1.5x.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves when they start saying stuff like it's 2.14x the price of a 3080 because they aren't even comparing similar items. Yeah it is 2.14x more, but it also has 2.4x more ram and 20% more cores with at least a 10% improvement over the standard 3080 from some leaked sources, and that hardware costs extra.

Though I do agree Nvidia are being a**holes for not releasing the NDA 24 hours ahead of launch. Seriously 6am the day of launch WTF is that BS.

Who's buying one?

Nobody is buying one because the stock is going to be pitiful even compared to the botched 3080 launch. B&M's like MC probably only have 2-3 of them if that, and we all know how the online sales go...

I have no idea about productivity because nVidia is being a total BITCH and not releasing benches until the fucking day of sale? Oh gee you worried Jensen that your $1499 card is a total fraud?

2.14x the price

14 GiB more ram

So ..... whos going to get one?

so is this card a total flop because of its price?

Sounds to me like nV is scared as fuck of AMD and rushed to get 3080 to the printing press and now the 3090 is looking like a performance flop.

Yeah yeah I know its a productivity slash gaming card.

Jesus Christ. Again with this?

We don't know this. I've seen leaked benchmarks showing upwards of 20% improvement going to the 3090. What we don't have is context for some of these numbers. 10%, 20% or whatever in 3DMark 10 doesn't mean anything. Also, any benchmarks done at 1920x1080 are largely meaningless as that's a CPU limited resolution in most cases. Doom Eternal benchmarks? Please. Even at 4K the numbers are all over the place with different CPU's. The game runs so well at 4K, that you can't take those numbers and make a general statement about a card's performance based on the data.

Having said that, I will likely be getting one. If there is a 20GB 3080 and the difference between it and a 3090 is only 10% or less, then that's probably the only circumstance where I'd opt for a 3080 20GB instead. I'm also looking to go back to 4K, so I'll be particularly interested in performance between the two at that resolution. I'm uncertain that a 3080 with 10GB of VRAM is sufficient with ray tracing in some games.

Really only 4K max or near max settings would be applicable in comparing the 3080 to the 3090 for performance. The card will be very much more useful beyond gaming meaning other type of benchmarks should also be considered.

I think the demand is higher than some would like to think.

If I can get a 3080 or 3090 with my 10% off I will which ends 01Oct. Otherwise I’ll be going 3070 or 3080.

The truth is that it's around 20% faster. Never pay attention to teclab benchmarks. They're liars and fakes. They just make shit up.

Haha unique way to use it

For those planning to buy a 3090, what is the theoretical MSRP you would be willing to pay assuming that it is 20% faster than the 3080 (which has a MSRP of $700)?
For example, would you still be in if it was $2,000 or $2,500 or $3,000?

For those planning to buy a 3090, what is the theoretical MSRP you would be willing to pay assuming that it is 20% faster than the 3080 (which has a MSRP of $700)?
For example, would you still be in if it was $2,000 or $2,500 or $3,000?
I think my upper bound is $1700 regardless. I am assuming at least $1600 for a 3090 with an AIO since they are usually about $100 more over the MSRP of the fan based ones. Not looking for a overly OC version like the EVGA Kingpin hybrid which will probably be close to $1900.

Starting at $1800 it becomes too much even with a min 3 year hold on upgrading the GPU for me. I look at a $1700 as a $566/year, at 1800 that's $600/year and at that point it makes no sense, you might as well just buy a new upgraded graphics card every year and get the minor negligible boosts with refreshed models.

With a TDP 10% higher I'm not surprised. I guess with some power modding you could stretch the gains to 20% with insane watts.

But I was expecting that from day one personally. It's a Titan. And those games running at 8k, are doing so with DLSS or medium/high settings. Yeah, I can do some 8k demos with my 1080 ti too then :)

That is kind of a fail. It's cost benefit for that 10%-15% just completely falls off a cliff. Guys I know in animation were set on the 3090 but now are looking to 3080 20Gb cards instead.
Yessss... Ssspurn the 3090s... They are a terrrrible value... Noooooobody should buy them... Bwahahahaha

If I can get one I may rent one until Big Navi comes out. Or more info comes out.

going to try and get one but im sure ill lose to the bots.

Pretty much the same. I'm eventually going to want two, but I'm just aiming at one for right now. But since supply is going to be like 10% of the 3080, I doubt I'll even get one. And apparently, there are already people lined outside of Microcenter right now, so unless they get triple the supply of the 3080, I can't even go that route.

"Since we built GeForce RTX 3090 for a unique group of users, like the TITAN RTX before it, we want to apologise upfront that this will be in limited supply on launch day."

And this is why prices will keep going up.

Regular customers have almost no chance to get one tomorrow. We're going up against an army of bots and scalpers.

So will these be available at 6AM PST like the 3080's "were"?

Back