Who is buying a 3080 and 3090?

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
I'm going to try to buy one of each. Will try them both out and then make a decision. I think I could sell either one for what I pay for either plus shipping/tax with no problems. Seems like the way to go for high-end gaming enthusiasts. Just my opinion.

Those without a bias against NV need not reply. DLSS and RT does matter regardless of your bias against them for perceived slights.

Last edited:
I've moved firmly into the 'Wait' camp now. I've got $1500 CAD burning in my pocket, however I'd like to see what AMD brings to the table. Worst case scenario, I'm stuck playing on my Switch or Xbox a couple of months longer.

That might just be enought to get you a 3080.. guessing with conversion and duties its gonna be $2200 or more for the 3090 and thats pre tax :(

Depends on what gets published on the 14th re: 1440p #s

I could easily go 3070 until games provide compelling reasons to turn ray tracing on.

There are other 30x0 features I'd weight higher than RTX performance.

I'm stuck with 'Get whatever is available locally' as I know I wont see a 30X0 card in Hawaii again for 3-5 months.

If I'm ever so very lucky to get RTX 3080 FE on the launch date, that would be great. If I don't like the card, I think I can always sell it here at the price that I paid for (MSRP + sales tax + shipping) ;) Worse case no one wants to buy the RTX 3080 at that price, so I'll just use it then.... Not much to lose, I think.

Even if AMD comes out with something worthy, I think supply for both Big Navi and Ampere will be limited initially. Not sure whether this will be weeks or months. Add in miner craze, it could be a year unless one pays inflated prices.

I want a 3080 Founder's Edition. Would be happy if I can get an EVGA 3080 XC3 (or FTW3...) otherwise. Would be perfect for my monitor and the cheapest of the 2 scenarios by a lot. 1000$C and done.

Also going to try and get a 3090 Founder's Edition. If I get both I'll think about it and most likely I'll be able to get none or one of the two.

I've had a hard on an OLED TV for over a year now and the new 48" size (down from 55) makes the whole "make the TV your monitor" thing a lot more viable (although I would prefer 43" but hey). I figure I'd be ready to power it and in time for Black Friday too!

Then again, G-Sync makes the 3080 perfectly viable (to me) on a 3080 on an OLED.

The only way I can lose is if I can't get either. That would piss me off (I've waited a good while already).

Going 3090x2 just because its there last non quadro card thats going to support multi gpu. I know no games use it but i like the look of it in my case

Reactions: noko
like this
If I'm ever so very lucky to get RTX 3080 FE on the launch date, that would be great. If I don't like the card, I think I can always sell it here at the price that I paid for (MSRP + sales tax + shipping) ;) Worse case no one wants to buy the RTX 3080 at that price, so I'll just use it then.... Not much to lose, I think.

Even if AMD comes out with something worthy, I think supply for both Big Navi and Ampere will be limited initially. Not sure whether this will be weeks or months. Add in miner craze, it could be a year unless one pays inflated prices.

Does the nvidia store have an expedited shipping option?
I could see people buying the FE gpus and spending a pretty $ on next day air.

That might just be enought to get you a 3080.. guessing with conversion and duties its gonna be $2200 or more for the 3090 and thats pre tax :(
Based on the current prices on NVIDIA website, I estimate that a 3080 at 699$ USD will end up costing a total of around 1,125$ CAD including shipping and 15% taxes.

Probably gonna get the 3080 if I can snag one before they sell out. I don't want an FE though. Aren't some of the aftermarket card coming out on the 17th too?

Then plan to pair it with a Zen3 chip if the performance matches expectation.

Based on the current prices on NVIDIA website, I estimate that a 3080 at 699$ USD will end up costing a total of around 1,125$ CAD including shipping and 15% taxes.

You live in a terrible country with a terrible exchange rate. Sucks to be you.

I'm going to try to buy one of each. Will try them both out and then make a decision. I think I could sell either one for what I pay for either plus shipping/tax with no problems. Seems like the way to go for high-end gaming enthusiasts. Just my opinion.
me, probably the FE

Hmmm, which FE?

RTX 3090 FE, opinion?

1599874860269.png

I plan on procuring a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3090 Xtreme Waterforce AIO from a sales tax free source.

In the meantime, I have been satisfied with the performance of my Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtrene Waterforce AIO. I won't be upgrading from my 2080 Ti until watercooled cards are out. Air cooling is completely unacceptable.

Barring anything unexpected I will probably pick up the 3080. I am thinking about waiting until Zen 3 but I have that itch. I have had the 1070 since launch. If I do pick up the 3080 ill need to get a new SFX PSU probably getting the corsair SF750 anyways with the Zen 3 build.

Reactions: erek
like this
I'm sure I'm just going to go with the 3070 myself. Feel like it'll be a solid upgrade from my 1060 and match my 3600 just fine.

Picking up a 3090 on release day (Hopefully). Will be a good upgrade from my Titan XP.

I'm going to wait to see what Big Navi and the 3070 bring to the table...as long as I build my new rig before Cyberpunk 2077 I'm fine (November 19)

You live in a terrible country with a terrible exchange rate. Sucks to be you.
I would agree with you that the exchange rate is terrible. Even when it was at parity or in our favor a couple of years ago, we ended up having higher prices anyway. Apparently, our market is willing to pay more for these goods. On the other hands, I wouldn't say our country is terrible, its pretty good actually and while we may pay more for these luxury, we get free healthcare and other perks, so in the end, the vast majority of peoples end up with more in their pockets. Still, it would be nice to see a 699$ USD graphic card at 699$ CAD + taxes. I hear its even worst in other parts of the world, like Australia. We probably have it better than most other countries.

This makes sense, but I don't know how this would be possible. How could someone hate this level of performance?

I'm sure I'm just going to go with the 3070 myself. Feel like it'll be a solid upgrade from my 1060 and match my 3600 just fine.
A 3070 will be well over two and a half times faster than the 1060 so yes I would say it will be a solid upgrade. LOL

I really hope you're at 1440p because anything lower will waste the potential of a card like that.

I'm going to wait to see what Big Navi and the 3070 bring to the table...as long as I build my new rig before Cyberpunk 2077 I'm fine (November 19)

My fear is if I wait, I won't be able to get a card before November 19th.

Will see if I can pick up a 3080 on the 17 Sep. Maybe make a profit on Ebay or use it for mining if super fast :D.

Just kidding, it will go into my TR system which the motherboard is currently sitting on top of my desk. If AMD has anything worth while, pick one of those up as well.

Hoping to get a 3080 FE on day 1.
Upgraded my 60hz monitor to a 144 just for this, looking forward to experience.

A 3070 will be well over two and a half times faster than the 1060 so yes I would say it will be a solid upgrade. LOL

I really hope you're at 1440p because anything lower will waste the potential of a card like that.
Not yet, but it leaves the option open afterwards.

Waiting to see what AMD has to offer, if they can come close to the same performance Nvidia is offering and save 100 on top of it I'll stick to AMD. 🥴

Reactions: noko
like this
I may attempt to get a 3090 and keep it in shrink wrap in the safe after I get it. If Navi comes out and I can get 3080 level performance w/16gb then I may keep that instead and sell the 3090. If Navi ends up being garbage, I'll just keep the 3090.

I'm buying one of each. 3080 and 3090 so I can see what is better value. Probably going to stick with 3090. AMD won't match it in anyway...RT or raster. JMHO.

That's an... "interesting" methodology of determining value.

I don't think the top end card has ever, in the history of GPU's, been a better value than the one just below it.

If all that history isn't enough, all you need is reviews and a calculator. Often times, the reviews will even do the calculation for performance/$$$ for you.

Me personally, i'm eyeing a 3090 for the extra RAM. I don't think I need 24GB but I do think 10GB will be surpassed in a couple years time with the next gen consoles coming. I don't want a repeat of my 2GB GTX 680 SLI days where I had plenty of GPU processing power but not enough VRAM to leverage it

It's one of those things where if you can buy the 3090 without worrying too much, why even bother buying the 3080? Clearly the 3090 is going to be a chunk faster and the extra VRAM will be nice to have (though will rarely make a difference). We are waiting for benchmarks but deep down you know roughly what the performance is already. The only uncertain thing is if VRAM will become an issue in the future, but that's not something you'll find out in any meaningful way before you end up selling one of the cards.

Probably gonna get the 3080 if I can snag one before they sell out. I don't want an FE though. Aren't some of the aftermarket card coming out on the 17th too?

Then plan to pair it with a Zen3 chip if the performance matches expectation.
Best Buy has a couple listed for $750,
3080-BestBuy.jpg

I will grab either the 3080 or 3090, whichever I can snag first. I got a decent bonus from the company I work for this year (really surprising considering how bad 2020 has been), so at this point, I don't really care. I'm not going to pay scalper money, but whichever retailer has a 3080/3090 and I can snag it first, that will be the end.

Back