Who here is keeping their 3 series and skipping 4 series nV cards?

How do you like your TV? Did you have a PC monitor before? I'm just wondering how they compare (the tech., not the screen size). I have a 50-inch 4K TV.

I had an AOC 34-inch ultrawide monitor. My TV arrives tomorrow, and I am hooking it up to my 3080 when UPS delivers it. I'll let you know. Don't stop loving, don't stop the fight!

I'm not even on 2xxx series, still on 1080ti. :cool:
Same. Mine is on water and I can push it to the power limit without any issues. If I had a spare card I would do a shunt mod or something to give it a bit more headroom but temps are never out of control and most games I play are at 5760 X 1200. Old 60hz screens as well until they die so long as I can keep a decent frame rate I'm good.

I would be more inclined to flip back to AMD. My prior card was their 7970 and like the 1080 Ti it was a long living beast. Though at this rate my whole PC needs a refresh to avoid a bottleneck so have to be more budget oriented.

If you look back, you will see that I said I just got a 3090 and while that is true, I am an idiot and couldn't help myself and got a 4090FE. Now I have a 3090 for my 10 year olds gaming computer in the works lol. Overkill, might downgrade and trade plus cash or something on that one. So pathetic that I caved.

You did the right thing.
Before I gamed on it, the tinge of buyers remorse in me would have disagreed. However, after gaming on it last night, yes I really did! Amazing chonk of video card. Not to mention my gaming room staying so much cooler.

Last edited:
The regret stems more from letting the 3080 go for just $500 when it is very clearly holding its value better than I anticipated after the 4000 series launch and upcoming 7000 series launch.
Dang. Never panic sell an Nvidia, or follow what the herd is doing ever. I still shudder at guy on this forum that panic-sold a 2080Ti for like $300 when 30-series benchmarks first leaked. My spare 30-are going nowhere for a while.

These GPUs are valuable commodity, and based on decade+ historical data, every cycle - post mining or not - prices eventually again after a glut because of different factors. Global compute demand and total userbase both increasing every day, NV maintains highest resale value, etc.

Last edited:
Heck.. I'm looking at going from a 1660 to a 3 series and skipping 4 .

I bought rtx 3080 on H forum, well for my 1440p 165hz that should be plenty for few years, I will be skipping 4 series, I will wait see what next 5 series or what amd has offer at time.

Upgrading from GTX 1070 mobile to RTX 3080, I will be blown away im sure lol

Silly me. I got the upgrade itch and bit, someone here said keep checking Best Buy daily and the FE card will come in stock.

That was literally yesterday, this guy told me that here, so I checked this morning and they were in stock, I thought about it for a second, had 9 minutes to make my decision to keep in cart, and I knew I had an old Gift Card from BB that I never used, so I siad F it, ok. And I did check for the 4090 first, but it was Sold Out

I bought the FE because it's the cheapest version and I had an old $200 Best Buy gift card sitting in my wallet for months. I use that. So got it for the price I wanted it for $999.

Attachments

• PXL_20221201_191044121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221201_191044121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221201_191059856.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221201_191059856.PORTRAIT.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I really want to upgrade from my 3080 to a 4080 or 4080ti in the future after struggling through cyberpunk RT at 60 fps.

My MSRP 3080FE has been great. If I could get a 4080 FE at $699 I would do it and pass the 3080 down to the kid, but at $1199, meh.

Yes once you have experienced higher its a struggle to go back. Hell even using windows and browsing the web at 60hz makes me want to puke.
I mean, yes I am on 120Hz myself, but this seems an over exaggeration, but maybe that's just me. I haven't tried CP2077 yet.

Yes once you have experienced higher its a struggle to go back. Hell even using windows and browsing the web at 60hz makes me want to puke.

I recall a few years ago, playing World of Warcraft I had it set to 60hz refresh rate all these years, and when I got a new monitor couple years ago, someone mentioned make sure I crank up the refresh rate too, so I set it to 120hz and HOLY SH!T it was friggin night and day, the smoothness and fluidity and sharper clearer image and look were literally jaw dropping compared to 60hz, it was immediately noticeable right away. It was almost as if going from a black and white TV to color, meaning the difference and change was that big.

Completely agree. I would much rather have 144hz @1080p then 4k @ 60p. Currently i have a pair of 2560x1440 165hz monitors and zero interest in upgrading.

Completely agree. I would much rather have 144hz @1080p then 4k @ 60p. Currently i have a pair of 2560x1440 165hz monitors and zero interest in upgrading.

What about the thing with 10bit color @ 120hz or 8bit color at much higher mhz? Which is more important and better if you want the best looking game world?

I have to agree with this. I was stuck on 60hz for years once moving from my CRT but it didn't seem like a big deal. When my primary monitor died and I had to replace it on the cheap I went with a 1920x1080 (downgrade from 1920x1200) 75hz Freesync monitor. The difference from 60hz to 75hz was immediately noticeable and something I can't do without anymore. Just to test it out I have limited games to 60fps from the normal 75fps and everything feels slow. This is one of the reasons I have no real interest in 4k or RT. The hardware needed to run both well is way too expensive and it gets worse as time goes on so even if your current hardware can do 4k at higher than 60fps, it's not going to stay that way unless you keep spending tons of money.

I'm still currently on 1080p but am working towards a card which can do 1440p with no trouble which will be wasted for a while with the 1080p monitor until I can replace it with a 1440p monitor at a moderately high refresh. I don't care about a monitor which can do a high resolution such as 4k if the rest of the hardware isn't capable of pushing that resolution at at least 75fps on everything and continue to do it for quite a while.

Back