Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Yeah, I know, but for 4K gaming, not worth a new platform move at this time. Most my games with a 4090 are either locked at 144Hz, or the frames rates are still well above 100 FPS. Can't say I have noticed the 1% lows being a factor in any game I play. 4K tends to be an equalizer in that regard and FPS swings are not so vast to make it noticable.

If there was a 5950X3D though, I easily would have bought it, just because it would have been an EZ PZ upgrade on an already great system for 4K gaming and work. I have a feeling I'll be able to easily hold out until an RTX 5090, in which case, I'd likely need a platform change.

This article seems to point that out with a 3090Ti. I know my 4090 is way more powerful, but it hasn't hit a CPU limit for 144Hz. If I could drive 240Hz+, then maybe.

https://tech4gamers.com/ryzen-9-7950x-vs-ryzen-9-5950x/#:~:text=The next-gen AMD Ryzen,for those on a budget.
Yeah...thinking about this as I just purchased parts for a new build, but it's kind of a weird time to build. I did it anyway, not really in the "future proofing" idea space anymore, more or less I just build a new machine every 3 years or so. But seeing a lot of new MB's with PCIE 5.0 while the new GPU's and the Samsung 990 M2 both still being gen4. It will be interesting to see what gen 5 brings I suppose. Seems like most new things have issues / growing pains for 1-2 iterations, then they finally dial it in correctly.

The one thing I am glad I did in my build was get an ATX 3.0 PSU with a proper 12VHPWR adapter. I'm not terribly OCD but daisy chaining the 8pins from an older PSU would have driven me nuts.

Once I saw geekbench scores I stopped reading about performance. That shit isn't even real world....why people keep using it as a performance metric is beyond me.

Yeah...thinking about this as I just purchased parts for a new build, but it's kind of a weird time to build. I did it anyway, not really in the "future proofing" idea space anymore, more or less I just build a new machine every 3 years or so. But seeing a lot of new MB's with PCIE 5.0 while the new GPU's and the Samsung 990 M2 both still being gen4. It will be interesting to see what gen 5 brings I suppose. Seems like most new things have issues / growing pains for 1-2 iterations, then they finally dial it in correctly.

The one thing I am glad I did in my build was get an ATX 3.0 PSU with a proper 12VHPWR adapter. I'm not terribly OCD but daisy chaining the 8pins from an older PSU would have driven me nuts.
The 990pro is basically a marketing refresh. In Reality, the 980 pro was an early leader in 4.0 drives. But since then.....many other drives have surpassed it in several aspects. The 990 pro is simply a refresh, to catch up in those other aspects. Its not a major upgrade over the 980 pro. And with the price premium they demand for the 990pro-----you should still buy those 'many other drives', heheh.

The 990pro is basically a marketing refresh. In Reality, the 980 pro was an early leader in 4.0 drives. But since then.....many other drives have surpassed it in several aspects. The 990 pro is simply a refresh, to catch up in those other aspects. Its not a major upgrade over the 980 pro. And with the price premium they demand for the 990pro-----you should still buy those 'many other drives', heheh.
Yeah I think I paid $70 more for the 2TB 990 over the 980 for ~10-15% better overall performance. If it were more than that I would've opted for the 980, though.

Yeah I think I paid $70 more for the 2TB 990 over the 980 for ~10-15% better overall performance. If it were more than that I would've opted for the 980, though.
Sounds like you bought, when the 980 pro wasn't on sale. Right now, the 2TB is $150 on amazon. And its frequently been ~ $170, over the past couple months.

Right now, the 990pro is $290. And I would be surprised if its ever been less than ~$270

I mean...the $599.99 combo at Micro Center exists. I was able to make money selling my AM4 gear to go that route.

It just boils down to if you want to do it or not. I enjoy having the latest tech. I don't try to make too many excuses to stand pat.
Yeah, I love the latest tech, but I have a horrible habit of keeping mine too... lol. I hate tearing it all apart, so if I replace anything beyond a GPU, CPU drop in or NVME drive, I just build a brand new PC, case, Power Supply, the whole nine yards. I really don't have any desire to do that right now if there is 0 need too... lol.

Plus, looking forward to the next generation as it matures more or to see what Intel offers as well. I love my setup and its perfect now, but it took months of AGESA fixes in early 2021 to get it dialed in perfectly with no issues, so I'm left somewhat sour on AMD by that ordeal early on.

Sounds like you bought, when the 980 pro wasn't on sale. Right now, the 2TB is $150 on amazon. And its frequently been ~ $170, over the past couple months.

Right now, the 990pro is $290. And I would be surprised if its ever been less than ~$270
$252. Damn, that is a good deal though for $150.

I'll admit, I didn't do as much research with this build as I have with those in the past, mainly because I've had the tendency to get "analysis paralysis" and end up buying nothing.

$252. Damn, that is a good deal though for $150.

I'll admit, I didn't do as much research with this build as I have with those in the past, mainly because I've had the tendency to get "analysis paralysis" and end up buying nothing.

It should be even cheaper than that considering the SN850X is $159.

Per reddit there are some shenanigans a foot for many SSDs. In this test series the SN850X is the only one to more or less pass. I look forward to seeing if this is debunked or further explored. I am leaning toward the SN850X based on that.

Per reddit there are some shenanigans a foot for many SSDs. In this test series the SN850X is the only one to more or less pass. I look forward to seeing if this is debunked or further explored. I am leaning toward the SN850X based on that.
Reading through the comments on that thread paints a more confusing picture that IMO doesn't really "tell the tale" entirely based off that one benchmark.

I agree but how many corporations run to the mic every time they screw up?

I agree but how many corporations run to the mic every time they screw up?
I guess in my eyes, if they say nothing - 1. they aren't denying it, and more importantly 2. this becomes free advertising for WD (their competitor).

Not really giving a whole lot of time for people to do their research, but it could be worse I suppose

Yup, not the most ideal scenario, but enough time to watch a half dozen videos and read a few articles from the usual suspects. I figure I'm looking for major caveats and/or reasons to avoid them as a potential launch day customer. This will give me enough time to figure that much out and still make an attempt at buying one the next day. I was afraid of having to F5 YouTube and a half dozen retail sites at the same time on the morning of the 28th.

Yup, not the most ideal scenario, but enough time to watch a half dozen videos and read a few articles from the usual suspects. I figure I'm looking for major caveats and/or reasons to avoid them as a potential launch day customer. This will give me enough time to figure that much out and still make an attempt at buying one the next day. I was afraid of having to F5 YouTube and a half dozen retail sites at the same time on the morning of the 28th.
I’m guessing the 7800X3D delay is going to tell us a lot about the 79xx3D CPUs.

I mean...the $599.99 combo at Micro Center exists. I was able to make money selling my AM4 gear to go that route.

It just boils down to if you want to do it or not. I enjoy having the latest tech. I don't try to make too many excuses to stand pat.

It turns out some people live hundreds of miles away from a MC and driving there isn't very cost effective...go figure.

It turns out some people live hundreds of miles away from a MC and driving there isn't very cost effective...go figure.
Check eBay, Amazon, NewEgg - AM5 and DDR5 prices have dumped it’s the time to move from AM4. 7900X, in particular.

Check eBay, Amazon, NewEgg - AM5 and DDR5 prices have dumped it’s the time to move from AM4. 7900X, in particular.

I agree with that.

I just don't think people throwing around MC prices is indicative of normal pricing. Some people here generously pass on the savings in their FS/FT threads (and others try to milk it for whatever they can get).

Side note: I think someone in FS has the $599 combo for $750 shipped (got moved to scalper's paradise). Probably still cheaper than driving to the closest MC in my case.

I agree with that.

I just don't think people throwing around MC prices is indicative of normal pricing. Some people here generously pass on the savings in their FS/FT threads (and others try to milk it for whatever they can get).

Side note: I think someone in FS has the $599 combo for $750 shipped (got moved to scalper's paradise). Probably still cheaper than driving to the closest MC in my case.
Fair enough but Micro Center prices are indicative of trends and that’s why I use them. People not near them automatically jump to butt hurt mode but it trickles down to all retailers - yes, not as good pricing….

I’m guessing the 7800X3D delay is going to tell us a lot about the 79xx3D CPUs.
I’m thinking it’s more to give a bit of time to get the cheaper boards out. I’m not expecting the huge bump zen 3 got with vcache for the new chips. Happy to be wrong.

I'm having the feeling that the X3D performance is going to be underwhelming, and we're going to see the price of the normal X CPUs rise again.

I'm having the feeling that the X3D performance is going to be underwhelming, and we're going to see the price of the normal X CPUs rise again.
Could be!

Anectdotally, Micro Center just raised the price of their 7900X bundle (was $418):

EDIT: wow my location (Saint Louis Park, MN) is sold out, too - the memory kits is the sold out portion.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 8.53.22 AM.png

The 5800X and mobo bundle that was $300 just went up to $315 today, too (I bought it yesterday and shippped it off to a friend in Oregon so I was watching it).

Last edited:
Having used a 5800X and 5800X3D and now 7700X and soon 7800X3D I just can't agree with you here but as always time will tell. Yes it may again depend upon the games engine how much improvement we'll see but all the DX11 VR flight sims I run will surely get a very positive result just as they did with the 5800X3D from the larger cache especially in the 1% lows which make or break immersion in VR.

I can't imagine that its going to be an underwhelming/decrease situation. Even at its worst, it will be (looking at the 5800X3D) something that has at least equal to the standard 7950X3D performance, and in certain games or applications a significant improvement thanks to the cache. Remember that games and other applications still have 8c/16t worth of either maximum cache or maximum frequency so its not like most things are going to be starved. I am wondering if, at least until an update to microcode/drivers/OS optimizations there may be some edge case on things like "cross-over use of the cache on non-cache cores" or "application that can actually use 16c/32t heavily parallelized, maybe a little confused between frequencies and cache or other differences" but that should be resolved with relative speed I imagine. However provided that the microcode/BIOS-UEFI/drivers/OS optmizations are not outright garbage then the vast majority of games and other applications will either be at parity or above vs a standard 7950X

Well I have 3 parts ordered with 2 arrived. This is what I am going with unless a month goes buy and the NZXT cooler never comes in stock:

Case: HYTE Y40 - 95% confidence level
Motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO - 95% confidence level
Power Supply: Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200 - on hand
Memory: DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s C30 AMD EXPO - ordered
CPU Cooler: Kraken Z73 RGB (white) - sold out
Case fans: F140 RGB DUO x3 (intake) / F120 RGB DUO x1 (outtake) - 95% confidence level
SSD: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe™ SSD (2 TB) - 90% confidence level
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTX™ 4090 MASTER 24G - on hand
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 7950X3D - 99% confidence level

Last edited:

Underwhelming? This is the 5800X3D vs. 13900K (which cost almost twice as much) - arguable Intel's fastest processor right now:

Underwhelming? This is the 5800X3D vs. 13900K (which cost almost twice as much) - arguable Intel's fastest processor right now:

Here is a real breakdown:

1920-1080.png

Also, we should remember that the 13900K destroys the 5800X3D in productivity workloads. There is also the fact that their release prices were not that different (5800X3D for $449 and 13900K for $589). So for what basically amount to $140 difference you not only get a slight bump in gaming performance, you also get a massive leap in productivity performance.

Here is a real breakdown:

View attachment 550963

Also, we should remember that the 13900K destroys the 5800X3D in productivity workloads. There is also the fact that their release prices were not that different (5800X3D for $449 and 13900K for $589). So for what basically amount to $140 difference you not only get a slight bump in gaming performance, you also get a massive leap in productivity performance.
Who buys a 5800X3D for productivity? Also, who buys a 13900K for gaming? That's like buying the better 7950X just for gaming. The 13700K should be the one you'd go for on that dead end platform - save some money for when Intel releases a new socket.

Who buys a 5800X3D for productivity? Also, who buys a 13900K for gaming? That's like buying the better 7950X just for gaming. The 13700K should be the one you'd go for on that dead end platform - save some money for when Intel releases a new socket.
While I agree with your 5800X3D comment, plenty of people buy the 13900K for both gaming and productivity reasons. 7950X is also a CPU that released at $699 and was forced into sale status with such suddeness that would have given most people whip lash.
Comparing launch prices is silly. Right now 5800x3d is $300 and a 13900k is $520...pretty close to what a 7900x combo costs, lmao.
Ignoring launch prices is sillier. You're comparing an aging technology against something newer but pointing to the, "we can't sell them at that price anymore if we actually want to move a single one from the shelves" price.

Back