Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Gaming at 4K with a 5950X is why I have only briefly pondered the idea... but now that I have a RTX 4090 and I'm pushing high frames at 4K, I'd be curious to see 5800X3D benchmarks at 4K on a RTX 4090...

Pretty good showing for the 5800x3d vs 13900. Keeps the 4090 fed.

3840-2160.png

Last edited:
Have you used an X3D CPU?
No, but I have seen some very poignant evidence presented by the others here that I could not disagree with.

For my use case, the 13900K is the processor for me. Had my experience with the 7700X not been shit, I would have been waiting to see what these new ones did. I don't think it's possible for me to be happier with my choice to switch to team blue. The CPU just beats everything else I ever had to death and laughs at the new AMD parts while doing it.

Pretty good showing for the 5800x3d vs 13900. Keeps the 4090 fed.

View attachment 549341
That's a poor argument, when the main selling points for the 5800X3D have been at resolutions of 1080P and 1440P, lets see how those work out shall we? (but you weren't arguing this point. This is more of an informative rebuke to the others that say the X3D is God's gift to the universe)
1920-1080.png

Oh... would you look at that... It get's its ass kicked at 1080P and this one

2560-1440.png

More of the same.

I wish there were more truth posters on here than fanboys and girls of the "Underdog" AMD.

I like my AMD. My last Intel was a 3470. Made the switch to a 3600 from the 3470 and have been satisfied. /shrug

I like my AMD. My last Intel was a 3470. Made the switch to a 3600 from the 3470 and have been satisfied. /shrug
In your case the AMD was kind of a huge upgrade. Seriously, you may consider moving to a 5600x for chump change when you have the chance. It's faster than everything else Intel put out till 11th Gen and is a nice uplift over the 3600 by around 25%. I still have one and it runs incredibly well to this day.

The 5600x is currently 166 bucks on Amazon brand new (I paid 300 for mine)
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5600X-12-Thread-Processor/dp/B08166SLDF

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In your case the AMD was kind of a huge upgrade. Seriously, you may consider moving to a 5600x for chump change when you have the chance. It's faster than everything else Intel put out till 11th Gen and is a nice uplift over the 3600 by around 25%. I still have one and it runs incredibly well to this day.

The 5600x is currently 166 bucks on Amazon brand new (I paid 300 for mine)
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5600X-12-Thread-Processor/dp/B08166SLDF
I just moved to a 5800X3D last week. =]

edit: actually, you were a major help in getting me there, haha

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, that's the top of the product stack and a great way to leverage the platform you are on. But if you're looking to adopt new and you don't have a low budget I recommend the 13900K to everyone. It just performs better than everything at the moment, consistently and across a wider breadth of resolutions and games.

That's a poor argument, when the main selling points for the 5800X3D have been at resolutions of 1080P and 1440P, lets see how those work out shall we? (but you weren't arguing this point. This is more of an informative rebuke to the others that say the X3D is God's gift to the universe)

More of the same.

I wish there were more truth posters on here than fanboys and girls of the "Underdog" AMD.

Someone wanted a 4090 @ 4k.. that's the use case I replied to. Sheesh. I hate having to reply to crap like this because people don't want to understand context and are too obsessed with their point of view and look past it.

Anyways, 5800x3d is last gen. We will see what uplift 7000x3d has in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Well, that's the top of the product stack and a great way to leverage the platform you are on. But if you're looking to adopt new and you don't have a low budget I recommend the 13900K to everyone. It just performs better than everything at the moment, consistently and across a wider breadth of resolutions and games.
“At the moment” is key. It’s the end for Z790 and Z690. So it’s a very poor choice. Even AMD’s non-X3D AM5 CPUs are within a percentage point or two of the 13900K.

Someone wanted a 4090 @ 4k.. that's the use case I replied to. Sheesh. I hate having to reply to crap like this because people don't want to understand context and are too obsessed with their point of view and look past it.

Anyways, 5800x3d is last gen. We will see what uplift 7000x3d has in a few weeks.
You're fine. I know what you're talking about. I think I have just been in too many conversations lately with people extolling the virtues of the X3D stuff. Not you.

View attachment 549348

View attachment 549349

More of the same.

We’re really stretching when 6.2% is an “ass kicking.” Most sites would label that as “slightly” faster or better. I expect the 7800x3d to take the gaming crown and for Intel to throw more watts at the problem in their reply. Either way, it’s better than the 4 core i7 bullshit Intel had going.

“At the moment” is key. It’s the end for Z790 and Z690. So it’s a very poor choice. Even AMD’s non-X3D AM5 CPUs are within a percentage point or two of the 13900K.
It's always the end for Intel in 1-2 generations. They did a pretty good job of coming back vs AMD after losing the lead. Also, there may be a refresh of Raptor Lake in the works so the platform may have one more hurrah left in it (assuming they don't move to another socket for it). The Raptor Lake Refresh is on Intel's roadmap for the Z790 platform Q3 2023 (assuming that leak is true). So, it's not really a poor choice when it kicks AMD's 7000 series asses and chews bubblegum while doing it.

I do a lot of single thread stuff, and the 13900K is king here. By anywhere from 20-25%(7000 series); 40-50%(5000 series) faster than anything AMD has to offer. That an everything I fire up on it delivers the most incredible experience I have ever had... And it's still got a PCI-E 5.0 slot on it for future proofing. IDK, seems pretty damn good to me.

AMD will be supporting the platform until 2025, maybe. Maybe 3 more CPU generations on the platform. Good value for new adopters... Though more people are buying the 5000 series than the 7000 series.

We’re really stretching when 6.2% is an “ass kicking.” Most sites would label that as “slightly” faster or better. I expect the 7800x3d to take the gaming crown and for Intel to throw more watts at the problem in their reply. Either way, it’s better than the 4 core i7 bullshit Intel had going.
And you're cherry picking a single performance metric from one game.

It's always the end for Intel in 1-2 generations. They did a pretty good job of coming back vs AMD after losing the lead. Also, there may be a refresh of Raptor Lake in the works so the platform may have one more hurrah left in it (assuming they don't move to another socket for it). The Raptor Lake Refresh is on Intel's roadmap for the Z790 platform Q3 2023 (assuming that leak is true). So, it's not really a poor choice when it kicks AMD's 7000 series asses and chews bubblegum while doing it.

I do a lot of single thread stuff, and the 13900K is king here. By anywhere from 20-25%(7000 series); 40-50%(5000 series) faster than anything AMD has to offer. That an everything I fire up on it delivers the most incredible experience I have ever had... And it's still got a PCI-E 5.0 slot on it for future proofing. IDK, seems pretty damn good to me.

AMD will be supporting the platform until 2025, maybe. Maybe 3 more CPU generations on the platform. Good value for new adopters... Though more people are buying the 5000 series than the 7000 series.
Where are you getting that insane single threaded uplift?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17601/intel-core-i9-13900k-and-i5-13600k-review/6

Just out of curiosity, how many of you still game exclusively at 1080P? Because the X3D parts are only likely to improve that aspect of gaming. Any game at 1440P or 4K is going to receive almost no or absolutely no benefit at all. Half your cores will be slower than the others if you have a 7900X3D or above... However, I suppose you can overclock the Cached chiplet now if the releases are accurate, but... I just don't understand all the excitement for a part that only accelerates SOME games and will end up drawing just as much power as Intel 13th gen if you overclock it.
I game at 4K and saw a massive improvement in smoothness across the board (no FPS drops "stuttering" in games). Well, except in Star Citizen after I got a 4090, and the 5800X3D couldn't keep up in some areas and my FPS dropped from 90+ to ~45 since there are cases where even a 5800X3D can't keep a 4090 properly fed.

Other than SC, folks complaining about poorly optimized game... I just don't give it a thought any longer. Such as with Hogwarts Legacy and The Witcher 3 update - they are butter smooth for me while others are crying about how unoptimized it is.

Intel for the most part has always been a processor and motherboard package. If you're going Intel you know you're buying a board for that processor and when you upgrade in a year or three down the line, you're getting another processor and board combo.

edit: actually, you were a major help in getting me there, haha
I have no hatred for the 5800X3D. It's a logical upgrade if you're already on the platform. I didn't go that route because I figured I would leapfrog it with AM5 and the experience was nightmare fuel. The 5000 series is bulletproof, because it's the final refinement of the old Ryzen architecture. So, it has most of it's kinks worked out.

I was so soured, as pendragon1 suggests that I couldn't even see the merits of the platform. Especially after buying the 13900K and a middle of the road MB and having a flawless experience with it and super cheap RAM.

I am happy you are happy with the chip.

I hope AMD does kick Intel's ass with the 7000X3D parts, so competition and innovation remains alive and well.

It overall seems to be advantageous. I'm hoping that they will still allow overclocking on the 3D cache cores and for that matter the ability to opt into sharing 3D cache for use with non-cache chips etc, but especially with something like the 7950X3D, you're going to have a full 8c/16t with extra cache and a full 8c/16t with higher clocks, which is going to cover the majority of games and other applications; the relative few production/creation programs that can use 16c/32t are heavily parallelized and therefore aren't a big stickler for clockspeed.

The real question is what sort of proper threading there will be so that the right content gets used by the correct threads at the proper turbo speeds; some of this will be firmware/BIOS/CPU microcode based and other may be OS-level. We hear that Win11 is specifically focusing on this sort of thing just like with the P vs E cores on the Intel side so we'll see what kind of scheduler there is. I can only hope that Linux is equally proficient if not better and its support arrives quickly too. First thing we need are some benchmarks though

View attachment 549348

View attachment 549349

More of the same.

Eh, Raptor Lake is 2 generations newer than Zen 3. Of course it's going to do better at some things. Likewise, the 7700x beats the 5800x3D in many things. And also puts a good showing against the 13900k.

What's interesting, actually, is for how many games the 13900k is less than 5% better.

Last edited:
I've been waiting, my desktop rig is 2950x and I'm thinking its nearly time for a replacement. Really, really wish Intel's consumer sockets/mobos didn't refresh so frequently, I wouldn't mind going back to team blue for a build but I just can't stomach buying into a socket that is already done.

Couldn't care less about the AMD/Intel platform arms race of chasing latest standards every year (looking at you, DDR5 / PCIe 5). I want an excuse to tinker once a year and the ability to use faster CPUs without changing everything else. Admittedly I was burned by X399, but AM4 support over the years was (generally) great so my inclination is to cross fingers on 7000 X3D and buy in on AM5.

Lol some of you nerds get angry over the stupidest shit

Relatedly, the unreal engine isn't bad, but the quake3 engine is by far superior

Was trying to wait, but my 5600X had different plans. Ended up grabbing a 7900X combo from Microcenter. Figure I can sell the cpu if the 7800X3D turns out to be great. Haven't put it through any paces yet; it's sitting with a ryzen 3600 cooler while I wait for a pump top for my waterloop because modern case design has obsoleted my bay mount pump/res.

Eh, Raptor Lake is 2 generations newer than Zen 3. Of course it's going to do better at some things. Likewise, the 7700x beats the 5800x3D in many things. And also puts a good showing against the 13900k.

What's interesting, actually, is for how many games the 13900k is less than 5% better.
It's a good point.

I don't know what I would do without the people on here to banter and fight with... I lost someone recently and I can't even put the words together it hurts so much. All I have left is bad hardware experience and my ability to write terrible role playing games and subject the unsuspecting masses to them... lol!

I don't know what I would do without you guys beating some sense into me... lol ;)

It's a good point.

I don't know what I would do without the people on here to banter and fight with... I lost someone recently and I can't even put the words together it hurts so much. All I have left is bad hardware experience and my ability to write terrible role playing games and subject the unsuspecting masses to them... lol!

I don't know what I would do without you guys beating some sense into me... lol ;)
Sorry for your loss. If it would make you feel better, we can beat you some more ;)

I’m really chomping at the bit to upgrade now. My 5820k is getting quite long in the tooth for 4k gaming, Unfortunately it looks like I’ll have to wait until April before I finally jump.

In the meantime I purchased Ghoat of Tsushima Director’s Cut for my PS4 Pro for $20. Amazing game considering it’s running on such old hardware. Before this I hadn’t turned my PS4 Pro on for close to 4yrs.

I’m really chomping at the bit to upgrade now. My 5820k is getting quite long in the tooth for 4k gaming, Unfortunately it looks like I’ll have to wait until April before I finally jump.

In the meantime I purchased Ghoat of Tsushima Director’s Cut for my PS4 Pro for $20. Amazing game considering it’s running on such old hardware. Before this I hadn’t turned my PS4 Pro on for close to 4yrs.
I went from a 5960x Haswell-e chip to a 5950X chip (4K gaming too) and the difference is night and day... so I can only imagine what the 5920k is like these days! I still use that 5960x setup as a media PC tho! :)

Anyone have any insider info on how readily available these are going to be at launch?

Yeah, I saw this and the 7900X3D scored lower than the 5800X3D did in the same benchmark. Only way that's possible is if the benchmark is only using the 6 Core 3D Cache unit and thread scheduling is not working properly. The 7900X3D got a score of 9000 and the 5800X3D got a score of 12000...

There will be some issues to work out before these things are dialed in.

Back