Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

The 24" iMac has 4480×2520 native, be nice if other manufacturers used that panel considering it's been out for 2 years now.
I 100% agree. Cram as many pixels into a 24" and 240Hz and I would definitely buy it. Like the @ Here's a question though I always thought IPS monitors the colors are supposed to really pop I find mine kinda toned down. Although I think I prefer the blacks more with the IPS vs. my VA since darks things just sort of got lost in the dark. So if age/ eyes has something to do with it I'm in my 30s as well and I primarily play online FPS games. So I definitely think in terms of FPS a screen you can actually focus on and not feel like you're at a museum trying to take in a large painting on the wall it's far easier on the eyes. I guess in this situation the pictures is actually moving which makes it even harder and puts strain on you.

I’m just craving more news on this so bad lol. Anyone heard anything besides the overclocking stuff that was shared this week?

I have really high hopes for these procs.

I've been wanting to go back to AMD since my last AMD64 system, but Intel always has the leg up whenever I upgraded my pc.

What higher end motherboard would you guys recommend for the upcoming X3D chips?

I was hoping for a 65 tdp X3D chip but I guess 120 is okay.
It has PBO so the values can be changed in the bios to whatever you want. 88W PPT, 60A TDC, 90A EDC is what AMD uses on 65W parts, you could technically limit it to 65W PPT but there would be performance loss most likely.

On the 5800X3D, with the 65W settings you can retain stock performance if you use CurveOptimizer and a slight negative voltage offset. I expect it to be about the same on the 7X00X3D.

Last edited:
Welp, got all the rest of my new build parts in this week, so I'm just hanging out and waiting for reviews and availability. Fingers crossed that these don't have a bunch of weird caveats. If so, I guess I'll roll with a normal 7900X or 7950X.

Zen 4 X3D is great – but has one Big Problem

I’m not sure this provides any new information, but it does go through everything that is known at this time as a good refresher.
No need to click the link.
The two "problems" are:

1. Clock speeds have to be lower, to keep heat and voltage in check. This was an issue for 5800X3D and they weren't able to get around it for round 2.
a. its pretty much a known quantity and isn't really an issue for gaming. Especially with the higher IPC of Zen 4. Games which love cache, love it so much, the clock speed deficit doesn't matter. And games which don't love cache---are still totally fine and will be relatively more fine compared to Zen 3, because Zen 4 is still better.

2. The dual CCD chips will have one standard CCD and one X3D CCD. There could potentially be problems with sorting apps/threads to the most beneficial CCD, for that app.
a. In theory, its best of both worlds. Games which love cache, will be sorted to the X3D CCD. Games which love clockspeed, will be sorted to the standard CCD. And there is a sort of gray area potential, where they might be able to put a game on the standard CCD and still reach over to the X3D cache. And that could still be beneficial, despite technically incurring a latency hit, from crossing CCDs.

b. Some people fear that the thread sorting won't work well. And....I don't think it will be a large issue. There will be some issues, I think they will improve over time, and even worst case----a game is still running on a Zen 4 chip; Which are monster CPUs. I mean, the 7600 non-x in gaming, gives a 12900k a run for its money.

Last edited:
xQEd9XzII8gLk9XJ.jpg

oh btw, that $450 is the same MSRP of the 5800x3d.

I just took a gander at TPUs review of 5800x3d as a refresher. At 1440p, its on average 7% faster compared to the 5800x and cost $100 more (via msrp). But (as we know) it depends on the game.

Even:
-6 games

Moderate increase:
-2 games

Huge increase:
-2 games

Wonder how the new batch of X3Ds will compare

Well, at least I know. I was hoping for something a little sooner, but I can deal. Hopefully the existing mobos will get BIOS updates to support these before they're actually on sale.

New to this thread.

I've got an 5800X3D in my Amazon cart.
Am I waiting?

Strictly gaming. World of Warcraft, and some single player FPS games on occasion.
1440@144
Currently on a 3600

eh?

edit: nevermind, AM5. I'm still on an AM4 board. I don't want to have to make that switch just yet. Think I'll wait for the next series.

I bought a 7700X two days ago, when Amazon started the $50 off coupon. And it also comes with a voucher for Star Wars Jedi Survivor.

But the game wasn't included in my order. I didn't realize until the CPU arrived the next day. So I contacted Amazon support and they credited me....$90?!

good deal

Hmmm, wait 4 weeks and buy a 7900X3D or for the same price get a 7900X, MB and 32GB of ram from MC now.

Buying a 5800X3D in October was a smart decision. I don't know what they're doing over there at AMD, but stringing people along when the competition is neck and neck with you, is crazy. It also tells me the 7800X3D is going to give you most of the gaming performance of the two they're actually releasing now, which is why it's delayed. The first two are sucker tax.

This makes me very glad I got the MC deal with for the 7700X + ram. If the 7800x3d isn't that big of an upgrade, I may just wait a year or two and get that flavor of the 3d cache chip

This makes me very glad I got the MC deal with for the 7700X + ram. If the 7800x3d isn't that big of an upgrade, I may just wait a year or two and get that flavor of the 3d cache chip
I'm going to stick with being a generation behind. When AM6 sockets and 5000 series cards are out, I'll move up to a 7800X and a 4090.

there's nothing wrong with that as long as your performance targets are getting hit. 1440@100+ isnt too hard these days
that's where I am right now. 1440@144, mostly world of warcraft. I'm above 100fps most of the time. Now and then it dips to 80s, but its ok.

I just took a gander at TPUs review of 5800x3d as a refresher. At 1440p, its on average 7% faster compared to the 5800x and cost $100 more (via msrp). But (as we know) it depends on the game.

Even:
-6 games

Moderate increase:
-2 games

Huge increase:
-2 games

Bigger gap with more games tested with a 4090 - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/rtx-4090-53-games-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-ryzen-7-5800x3d/2.html

I'm actually sad they didn't give out 0.1 and 1% FPS lows in their testing.

Even:
-6 games

Moderate increase:
-2 games

Huge increase:
-2 games

Yeah, it depends on the game. Hardware Unboxed's performance numbers in some games show the 5800x3d's lows matching the average framerates of regular Zen 3. That would likely feel transformative for some of those games.

Just moved back to my 5800X3D rig for a bit (testing out a made by AMD 7900 XTX I just received today) - gotta say, for Fortnite, at least (my main) the 5800X3D definitely has a better in-game feel than the 7900X.

My original intention was to match my current AM5 CPUs (7900X, 7950X) with their X3D counterparts - but seeing the delay of the 7800X3D has me giving pause. I guess we will see how the 7900X3D and the 7950X3D do in reviews...but I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that for gaming the 7800X3D is the best part by far (hence the delay). Get people on the fence to pay "a bit more" to get more cores that they don't necessarily need.

So sick of them announcing things and the pulling the “haha just kidding the truth is worse” game. First the Feb 14th date then the overclocking nonsense.

Just moved back to my 5800X3D rig for a bit (testing out a made by AMD 7900 XTX I just received today) - gotta say, for Fortnite, at least (my main) the 5800X3D definitely has a better in-game feel than the 7900X.
That's interesting. I wonder if the CCX lag is the culprit.

Hardware unboxed says the 7600x is 7% better than the 5800X3d, in Fortnite. Unfortunately, they only show that in the summary. They don't show specific benchmark data for that one, with 1% lows, etc.

And they didn't show data for that game at all, in any videos which include the 7900x...
I dunno how legit this channel is, but they also show Fortnite being better on Zen 4. This time with a 7900x:

timestampted 5:47

Last edited:
That's interesting. I wonder if the CCX lag is the culprit.

Hardware unboxed says the 7600x is 7% better than the 5800X3d, in Fortnite. Unfortunately, they only show that in the summary. They don't show specific benchmark data for that one, with 1% lows, etc.

And they didn't show data for that game at all, in any videos which include the 7900x...
I dunno how legit this channel is, but they also show Fortnite being better on Zen 4. This time with a 7900x:

timestampted 5:47

Yeah - may just be in my head but I always have the in-game FPS counter up and it seemed generally a bit higher.

I had a 7700X before I got my 7900X (was a cheap swap so I did it) and it did seem like an evolved 5800X3D for sure.

This is all at 1080p/360Hz.

My 7950X / RTX 4090 is on 3440x1440 and the lows on that are insane. I can’t pinpoint it…I’m convinced Fortnite is best on 1080p.

Last edited:
You know I just had a thought. I think I'm going to keep my 7700x unless I'm truly wowed by the vcache.

The reason is that my GPU is a 6700xt. Look at this graph that shows GPU/cpu scaling. For the 6650xt, which is pretty close to mine, there is hardly much of a difference between the amd 5600 and 7600. And that's at 1080 too! I game at 1440. I infer that adding a more powerful cpu like 7800x3d won't have much of an impact. Especially for the price.

I'm probably just going to wait until I upgrade my GPU then go out a buy a much cheaper am5 vache.

Average.png

You know I just had a thought. I think I'm going to keep my 7700x unless I'm truly wowed by the vcache.

The reason is that my GPU is a 6700xt. Look at this graph that shows GPU/cpu scaling. For the 6650xt, which is pretty close to mine, there is hardly much of a difference between the amd 5600 and 7600. And that's at 1080 too! I game at 1440. I infer that adding a more powerful cpu like 7800x3d won't have much of an impact. Especially for the price.

I'm probably just going to wait until I upgrade my GPU then go out a buy a much cheaper am5 vache.

View attachment 546549
You’re probably better off buying condoms and hoping for the best.

Back