Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Curious, whats stopping me from getting these deals now, returning the 7700x cpu later, and keeping the ram for myself?

You can't just return the processor, you have to return the bundled processor and ram. For the motherboard bundles, if you just return the motherboard, you get back the price of the motherboard with the $20 taken off of it.

No clue how much better it is, but Corsair has CL30 DDR5-6000 for right around $200. Major difference? Highly unlikely, but my new build has a pile of Corsair stuff in there, so I wanted it for aesthetics, too. Honestly, I don't think they'll keep those deals around for the 3D processors unless they end up being disappointing. Those bundles are trying to move stuff that otherwise wouldn't. If they end up being disappointing, I might even look in the Intel direction.

Yeah, if you're looking for Corsair RGB stuff to match the rest of the build, that makes sense. Still can't beat a $150 ddr5 kit though for free, especially when their CPU prices are still the lowest around. The 7950x combo will do for me, it's in a Lian Li with no windows so I don't even need to worry about cable management.

waiting.

Fimages%2F21c0e8dc0259f94a7aae44817bd24b1d%2Ftenor.gif

Curious, whats stopping me from getting these deals now, returning the 7700x cpu later, and keeping the ram for myself?
Theoretically, they may end up charging you for the RAM at that point. We live in a digital age, there will be some cost associated with the return. I think MC has the ram listed as a value of 189 bucks or something (and the 20 buck discount on the MB will likely be pulled). So, you might get a chunk of your money back for the CPU but likely get dinged for the RAM. Unless the free RAM is a feature of the new X3D parts.

I don't anticipate the free RAM to last forever, either.

Yeah, if you're looking for Corsair RGB stuff to match the rest of the build, that makes sense. Still can't beat a $150 ddr5 kit though for free, especially when their CPU prices are still the lowest around. The 7950x combo will do for me, it's in a Lian Li with no windows so I don't even need to worry about cable management.

For what it's worth, I can't actually tell if it's truly available or not. They have a couple listings for it on their site, but it doesn't actually seem like it's on sale:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...DR5-—-Optimized-for-AMD/p/CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...DDR5-—-Optimized-for-AMD/p/CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30

The bottom one was listed as available (with a price of $215) about a month ago, but there are basically zero traces of it now.

If I don't see those popping back up in a month, I'll happily take whatever Microcenter is dishing out. I can always sell one or the other for at least $100 if things change.

disabled RGB is easy and my case is closed anyways.

How much of an effective gaming speed difference is CL36 from CL30?

disabled RGB is easy and my case is closed anyways.

How much of an effective gaming speed difference is CL36 from CL30?
It's probably like 1-2% different (I have had both). Now, if it was CL18 vs CL 36 you're likely looking at something more like a 5-15% difference. The problem is getting Low Latency RAM to run at High Frequencies. I suspect we will see DDR5 hit the Mid to upper 20's (at best) after a couple years of production.

DDR4 4000 at lower latency essentially matches DDR5 6000

My Main rig at home is CL19 DDR4 4366 (4600 Mhz max) in Gear 1 and it exceeds DDR5 6000. It's within a couple percent (like 2.4%) of DDR 5 7400+.

BUT if you are building new and not me, DDR5 is probably the way to go. It will be usable on future systems. Whereas my DDR4 is this gen and no more. It was a great experiment though and a cheap one. I got the ram for 139 on sale it's back up to 209.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If my memory serves me I believe the 5800X3D reviews came out 1 week prior to launch. Do you think there is any chance of a review as soon as Jan 25th? I guess that would be the earliest date. There is a high probabilty it won't be Feb 14th for release, but it could be any another day in that month.

I'm sort of waiting I might shuffle some build options if there is a new gaming 1080p king

My monitor is 27 inches and on my desk. I'm pushing 40 and is still easy to see the difference

63 and definitely tell the difference between 4K and 1440p while the dreadful 1080p reminds me of VHS days going to Bluray, a.k.a 1080p is the new VHS. Age is not the issue. The differences can also be panel tech as well, going from VA panels to OLED, good grief, the 42" C2 makes the Sony 50" Bravia look weak.

There is truth in this. My LG OLED C2 55" makes 1080p look pretty damn good, super nice upscaler. My 1440p TN panel however, well, i would spend a pretty penny on a 27" OLED gaming monitor. I hear they are out soonish

Reactions: noko
like this
oh well, guess i can sell the cpu for a minor loss
That's what I did. Bought a 7700X / mem combo and a mobo now so I am ready for the X3D stuff next month. If it's not a huge benefit (doubtful) then stick with it.

My 9900KS will sell for over $400 used so it's a pretty even swap!

Also gives me time to iron out issues in my build before the processor I actually want drops

Man the 7600x MC offer sucks. Its not even 2x8GB of ram, its 1x16GB. So in order to go dual memory channels (cant believe I have to write this), I need to buy the 7600x deal once, then come back and do it again. what a PITA

Man the 7600x MC offer sucks. Its not even 2x8GB of ram, its 1x16GB. So in order to go dual memory channels (cant believe I have to write this), I need to buy the 7600x deal once, then come back and do it again. what a PITA

Why would you do that instead of just paying $100 more for the 7700x combo? You get a better processor and 32GB of DDR5-6000 for a nominal upcharge once you factor in the memory offer difference.

If our eyes are too old to see the difference, why spend the money? :D
I just bought a 24.5" monitor to replace a 27". Why? because I find 27" too large to view all at once in FPS games where as 22-24.5" is fine. 1440p didn't blow my mind and to be honest the 1440p had a lot more bells and whiles but I like the smaller display more. Not sure how we can't cram more pixels into a 24-25" monitor in 2023.

I just bought a 24.5" monitor to replace a 27". Why? because I find 27" too large to view all at once in FPS games where as 22-24.5" is fine. 1440p didn't blow my mind and to be honest the 1440p had a lot more bells and whiles but I like the smaller display more. Not sure how we can't cram more pixels into a 24-25" monitor in 2023.
I'm with you, man. I have the Alienware AW3423DW (34", 3440x1440, 175Hz) and it's awesome but I much prefer my Alienware AW2521H (25", 1080p, 360Hz). I'm an online competitive FPS guy, so maybe that's it.

I like my 32" LG that does 165hz 1440p. I play FPS still here and there, but now that I'm in my 30s my vision isn't as crisp as my competitive days so its nice, I don't find it too big for FPS, but I also have never had a monitor super close to my face.

On the topic of the thread, I am looking forward to the new X3D, I am running a 3600 and 2070Super right now, hoping to get into VR for Overload, VRC, and some racing sims so whatever allows the 4090 I hope to get to work at its fullest potential lol.

The 24" iMac has 4480×2520 native, be nice if other manufacturers used that panel considering it's been out for 2 years now.

Looking forward to picking up a 3d chip probably the 7800, just picked up the Asrock B650E Tachi price just dropped to $350.

Back