white knight chronicles

Nice, I didn't realize this is around the corner. This fell off my radar for awhile, I'm glad it's finally releasing . From what I gather Feb 2 is the release date.

I had no idea it was (finally) NA-bound either, though it probably could have found a much friendlier release date than February 2--one week after Mass Effect 2 hits.

And, yeah, I wanted to hit the narrator of that video with a rock.

Comes out tomorrow, who's going to try it out for the rest of us?

Wow the narrators voice in the ad/trailer makes the game seem cheesy.

I remember talking with co-workers about this game like 3 years ago and now its finally out in the US, but I think I'm going to skip it until it hits the bargain bin. Between Mass Effect and Heavy Rain there won't be time for this.

Big fan of level 5 here so I will be picking this up later today hopefully :)

I was looking forward to this but IGN raped it with a 5.1. I'll probably have more fun just playing Sacred 2 some more.

I went and picked this up last night and got done with the intro (about 1 1/2 hours into the game at my "search everywhere" pace).

Being that I have an odd taste and like some universally panned games like Last Remnant and .Hack, I wasn't concerned about myself.

A few things about the game that have irritated me so far:

1. The character you make is NOT the main character and is practically a nameless "That Guy". Like when you get "A Soldier" in your party that you know isn't going to make it because, he would have a name if he was important enough. I guess this is for when you play multiplayer, you would play as that character. Feels odd.

2. Plotline so far is almost as if they google'd "RPG Cliche" and implemented it as a set of requirements.

3. Combat is akin to FF 12 or just about any MMORPG you have played, which is decent enough. Your other party members don't seem to understand when to use their combos as I haven't seen any of them use the ones I made at all. Also, it is like they decided not to document a damn thing about your actions. I have "slash", "slice", "cut", "stab", "lounge" and other blade-related words but the only way so far I have figured out what damage they do is trial and error on each enemy. I was also put off that I wanted to make my character a longsword wielding dude with Leonard as my tank. Unfortunately, the first 2 stores I have been in don't sell any, so I have all my points set into longsword skill, without a weapon to use those in sight.

4. Graphics and tech are practically PS2 era. You want lip movement when people talk? They do, somewhat. It seems that most scenes are synced to the original japanese dialog. NPC's that don't talk in text balloons? Not happening. People that don't look like cookiecutter automatons? Look elsewhere.

So far, my gut is telling me this will be a "Meh" experience and just a timefiller until FF13.

Yeah I ended up passing up on this due to all the negative reviews. I will probably pick it up still but will wait until it goes down in price for sure on this one.

I went and picked this up last night and got done with the intro (about 1 1/2 hours into the game at my "search everywhere" pace).

Being that I have an odd taste and like some universally panned games like Last Remnant and .Hack, I wasn't concerned about myself.

A few things about the game that have irritated me so far:

1. The character you make is NOT the main character and is practically a nameless "That Guy". Like when you get "A Soldier" in your party that you know isn't going to make it because, he would have a name if he was important enough. I guess this is for when you play multiplayer, you would play as that character. Feels odd.

2. Plotline so far is almost as if they google'd "RPG Cliche" and implemented it as a set of requirements.

3. Combat is akin to FF 12 or just about any MMORPG you have played, which is decent enough. Your other party members don't seem to understand when to use their combos as I haven't seen any of them use the ones I made at all. Also, it is like they decided not to document a damn thing about your actions. I have "slash", "slice", "cut", "stab", "lounge" and other blade-related words but the only way so far I have figured out what damage they do is trial and error on each enemy. I was also put off that I wanted to make my character a longsword wielding dude with Leonard as my tank. Unfortunately, the first 2 stores I have been in don't sell any, so I have all my points set into longsword skill, without a weapon to use those in sight.

4. Graphics and tech are practically PS2 era. You want lip movement when people talk? They do, somewhat. It seems that most scenes are synced to the original japanese dialog. NPC's that don't talk in text balloons? Not happening. People that don't look like cookiecutter automatons? Look elsewhere.

So far, my gut is telling me this will be a "Meh" experience and just a timefiller until FF13.

Dissapointing thanks for the review.

I was excited about this once upon a time, but it's taken forever, and the reviews are awful... so pass.

Yeah its unfortunate. For some reason I remember the graphics in this game to be less cartoony when it was more of a concept like 2-3 years ago. Seems this game wasn't well reviewed in Japan either.

Played some more last night. It turns out that as soon as you complete the intro, you start playing as yourself in the "side missions" which are really things you need to do to level up enough to do "main missions". When you go in, it gives you a choice for Solo or Multiplayer. I don't have a mic for the PS3, yet, so I figure I would solo with my party.

Oh, did I say party? Yeah, that is what you would think would happen, but no. When you run around towns, you can hear them blab off with pointless and repetitive remarks:
"You do know where the general store is Leonard."
"Let's stock up before going out."
"I have a splinter."
"My mom didn't hug me enough."

But the second you go out in the field for combat, they POOF! and it is only you. So all that gear you broke the bank to get them is locked on their fat asses sitting back at camp while you get smarmed by packs of totem pole midgets. I'm going to guess that if I go on a main quest mission, they will magically reappear.

Every ounce of this game design I have seen so far screams "Lets make an MMORPG!" and a year into the project decided to make it a single player game with some multiplayer.

I have started getting used to the convoluted combat system and don't die as near as often. I don't know who thought up the idea to hide your current health and mana points when you are not in combat, but this has gotten me killed nearly a dozen times. I just got done with ME2 and was used to the instant regen when not in combat part, so combined with the fact that they hide my numbers and heal-crystal, it is really easy to stumble into a fight with only 10% health. I don't mind dieing (I love Demon's Souls,), but this is ridonkulous.

I plan on putting in some hours tonight, but my preliminary review says "Not worth $60, maybe $20."

I really really wanted to like this game but I fell asleep after about 20 minutes once the fighting started.

Well, I struggled through it. There is supposed to be a long tail to it with the Multiplayer, but I could not be bothered to go into that. It revolves around maxing out your character and building up your town and playing with other people to grind through quests to do the before mentioned activities.

The story line did improve a little. It ends with a "finish the game when #2 comes out" BS sort of thing. (Which reminds me of Too Human 2?) Also, the quick wrap up montage was hillariously stupid. Who the hell saves the world and goes back home to be browbeat by his boss because he missed work considering you fund the building of an entire freaking town as part of the game.

Combat did not improve. No difficulty scaling at all. Once I got everything down, each fight was just the same monotony. I didn't have a single character die ONCE when I started following the storyline section. The Raise spell was worthless.

I think I'll go back and do a New Game++ of Demon's Souls to refresh my gaming pallete.

BTW: My copy is for sale on the FS forum for anyone who wants a timefiller before FF12 and enjoy grinding game mechanics. :)

I also find myself struggling to play this after the initial hour or two...

I want a reason to like it, since multiplayer is a big thing for me, but Demon's Souls is hands down something I much rather play.

Back