Which VR headset to buy in 2020?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...he-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

FWIW. Honestly sounds like a lot of steps backwards in many areas (strap, IPD adjustment, etc.)

I can't help but think that Ars' review was unnecessarily harsh. Yes Facebook sucks and we all hate it but otherwise it seems like they let that cloud their judgement on otherwise very competent headset (on paper and based on Youtube reviews) that is first and foremost aimed for the generic consumer masses. I think the IPD preset thing is also for that reason. Sliding scale is always better but this is simpler and quicker when switching the HMD between a lot of people especially ones who are not that tech savvy and if the lense sweetspot is big then it can possibly look just fine. I am actually tempted to get one for a secondary headset just for the wireless experience, watching movies in a bed and VR on the go where my ITX rig + PCVR set is too much. 🤔

Seems to me that Facebook is trying to become Sony/Microsoft in VR space. Selling a very cheap system, losing profit on hardware just to lock people to their ecosystem.
I have a Facebook account, had it since early 2007. I have no plans in getting rid of it, but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE their ads. Every 3-4 posts it's a motherfucking ad and it's something that I'm interested in as the whole website is tracking my likes and comments.
PrivateDNS doesn't get rid of the ads. Third party options are SHIT (and trust me I've tried all of them).
So yeah, Facebook can stick their Quest 2 where the sun doesn't shine. I had Valve Index, sold that and have HP Reverb G2 on preorder.

Seems to me that Facebook is trying to become Sony/Microsoft in VR space. Selling a very cheap system, losing profit on hardware just to lock people to their ecosystem.
I have a Facebook account, had it since early 2007. I have no plans in getting rid of it, but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE their ads. Every 3-4 posts it's a motherfucking ad and it's something that I'm interested in as the whole website is tracking my likes and comments.
PrivateDNS doesn't get rid of the ads. Third party options are SHIT (and trust me I've tried all of them).
So yeah, Facebook can stick their Quest 2 where the sun doesn't shine. I had Valve Index, sold that and have HP Reverb G2 on preorder.

You know, you can turn off personalised ads from Facebook settings. I dunno if it reduces to tracking but at least the whole thing seems a bit less creepy.

You know, you can turn off personalised ads from Facebook settings. I dunno if it reduces to tracking but at least the whole thing seems a bit less creepy.

Eh, it won't change the number of ads I get. I just limit my Facebook use. I have a lot of family out in the world I need to keep in touch with and they all use Facebook, so that sucks.

Check out F.B. Purity. It blocks all ads for me in combination with adblock plus.

uBlock Origin blocks all ads for Facebook and YouTube.
It's the mobile app I can't block ads on.
You don't have to have the app, many people mistakenly think you must have it in order to message on mobile...because if you go to the facebook on your phones browser and then try to message it will redirect you to download that.....but there is a way around that. One i've been using for years now, and will continue to use until they block that...at that point I will have to find something else.

Here is the trick to use messaging on a mobile browser. When you browse to facebook you will get the site m.facebook.com on this website you will be unable to message HOWEVER if you change that to mbasic.facebook.com you'll get their old version, and messaging still works. You don't need to edit anything else in the URL just add the word basic after the m to match what i put above. mbasic.facebook.com.....(rest of link)

You don't have to have the app, many people mistakenly think you must have it in order to message on mobile...because if you go to the facebook on your phones browser and then try to message it will redirect you to download that.....but there is a way around that. One i've been using for years now, and will continue to use until they block that...at that point I will have to find something else.

Here is the trick to use messaging on a mobile browser. When you browse to facebook you will get the site m.facebook.com on this website you will be unable to message HOWEVER if you change that to mbasic.facebook.com you'll get their old version, and messaging still works. You don't need to edit anything else in the URL just add the word basic after the m to match what i put above. mbasic.facebook.com.....(rest of link)

You can also use desktop mode, although that is a bit clunky on phone screen. But there are also browsers that allow you to view FB messages in mobile site like Kiwi Browser. Sometimes Facebook breaks it but it gets patched eventually.

The Quest 2 is cheap $299 64gb but Oculus/Facebook nickel and dimes you on the accessories you absolutely need to use it properly. I think the base station tracking on the valve kinda sucks and you will probably never reach frames high enough for 144hz. The other 2 options would be to get the new HP G2 that cost $600 the only downsides i see are the refresh rate being only 90hz and the controllers require 2 AA and suck down juice. The last option maybe get a cheap used Rift S on ebay or something ? I have the Rift S and it works great with a 2070 super. I don't really feel the need to upgrade to these sets because of their compromises for the $

Ya I'm not sure what's up with the Arstechnica review when they talked about the tracking. Feels identical to my Rift S. I'm getting farther in some beatsaber expert+ songs on my Quest2 over wifi virtual desktop on the 80mbps setting than I was with my Rift S. It's been great with the forced 90hz mode. I plan to get the native version of beatsaber but wanted to test out the response.

HL Alyx on the 120mbps setting is pretty fucking sick. That game I noticed my suspended cable a lot more since it kind of initiates grabbing things and turning around more. I find I physically turn more now, I still use the smooth locomotion and like it but this just adds in a little more fun and immersion.

I hate all the Facebook baggage it comes with but god damn wireless PCVR is so fun. The developer of Virtual Desktop released a day 1 patch on Tuesday to make it smoother for Quest1 and 2 and it feels like a polished experience once you have it going. I've been doing way more VR now than ever just from the fact I can have it near by on the couch and you just slap it on and go. I was happy with my Rift S but glad I got it sold off since I wasn't using it as much as I should.

Also a heads up, you do want to spend the $50 for the elite strap or get any other halo type strap solution like the Vive DAS with 3D printed mounts. I would also say the Vrcovers facial interface will be another must buy. I'm waiting for them to get available. The stock pad is a cloth covered sponge that soaks up everything.

The Quest 2 is cheap $299 64gb but Oculus/Facebook nickel and dimes you on the accessories you absolutely need to use it properly. I think the base station tracking on the valve kinda sucks and you will probably never reach frames high enough for 144hz. The other 2 options would be to get the new HP G2 that cost $600 the only downsides i see are the refresh rate being only 90hz and the controllers require 2 AA and suck down juice. The last option maybe get a cheap used Rift S on ebay or something ? I have the Rift S and it works great with a 2070 super. I don't really feel the need to upgrade to these sets because of their compromises for the $
I've not had the pleasure of trying out an Index, but the lighthouse tracking on the Vive models is excellent - way better than any of the camera based ones I've actually used.

I've not had the pleasure of trying out an Index, but the lighthouse tracking on the Vive models is excellent - way better than any of the camera based ones I've actually used.
I heard you have to readjust the base station for standing and sitting down? If that is correct that kinda sucks. The ease of use with the Rift S basically just one cord is really great.

My recommendation is to get the Elite Headstrap with the Quest 2, but don't get their case. It's really finicky to get the headset in and out, and it feels like it was designed to look fancy as opposed to being easy to use. I had a cheapo 3rd party case with my Quest 1, and it was much easier, though will never fit the bulk of the elite.

There should be 3rd party cases that support the headstrap soon.

I heard you have to readjust the base station for standing and sitting down? If that is correct that kinda sucks. The ease of use with the Rift S basically just one cord is really great.
That sounds like more of an issue with SteamVR in general than anything specific to the lighthouse tracking. Most sit down games have a key binding you can can use to reset the head position.

In practice, it isn't really an issue for me. I leave SteamVR in stand-up mode and for sit-down games, I just reset the head position with the key before I start actually playing.

How well does SteamVR integrate with WMR headsets like the HP Reverb? I'm looking at the G2 to replace my CV1. I've liked my Oculus, but I will not ever make a "real me" Facebook account again, and it seems like they expect you to do that in order to use their new devices. The Index looks nice, but I don't have the time to play enough VR to justify the price.

The G2 looks like a good upgrade. I just worry I'll have problems going to the WMR ecosystem.

How well does SteamVR integrate with WMR headsets like the HP Reverb? I'm looking at the G2 to replace my CV1. I've liked my Oculus, but I will not ever make a "real me" Facebook account again, and it seems like they expect you to do that in order to use their new devices. The Index looks nice, but I don't have the time to play enough VR to justify the price.

The G2 looks like a good upgrade. I just worry I'll have problems going to the WMR ecosystem.

Early on there were issues with WMR not being supported but its pretty much all supported now. You might have to do more setup and adjust controller bindings but I can't really think of any major title you can't use WMR with. Also if you are interested in Microsoft Flight Sim it is coming to Windows Mixed Reality first (Microsoft cough cough) and specifically the G2.

Early on there were issues with WMR not being supported but its pretty much all supported now. You might have to do more setup and adjust controller bindings but I can't really think of any major title you can't use WMR with. Also if you are interested in Microsoft Flight Sim it is coming to Windows Mixed Reality first (Microsoft cough cough) and specifically the G2.
Good to hear. Makes me a lot less nervous about it. Thanks!

Still got my Quest and had Q2 since release. Haven't used it a ton but so far enjoying it. Not a breathtaking upgrade in any way. Likely because I haven't gotten any new games and nothing is really upgraded to take advantage yet but I can definitely see some improvements. Things look sharper and colors seem to be better so immersion is easier. I definitely like the build and feel of the first one and prefer black. Even just the feel of the outer texture is nicer on the original. Got the Elite Strap, that is very nice. Did get the case, its crap compared to the first one will be looking for a 3rd party. Waiting to get my hands on new GPU b4 I do any PC gaming. For the price though I'm pretty happy with it. Take it to friends houses and they love it.

The Oculus Quest 2 for $299 is the best bang for buck I guess. But the HP Reverb G2 is worth it just to get away from Facebook.

I have FB, mostly just for groups. I haven't see anything pop up related to FB after signing in on the Quest though.

my friend gave me the Oculus Rift (not the S)...is this a good VR headset to use?...my first time trying VR

my friend gave me the Oculus Rift (not the S)...is this a good VR headset to use?...my first time trying VR
Free is always nice. Resolution of the original generation headset is a lot lower than current options and the image quality is way lower. I think the best experience for the price is the Oculus Quest 2 with Link or VD. If you can spring $600 and wait for availability HP G2 is an appealing option. I think its worth starting with a high-res headset personally. I think this video might be helpful for you to make your decision.

From Tyriel Wood

Since it's free, then you have nothing to lose??

Suggest you download Oculus Tool. It's a great little utility that helps you get the most out of the Rift Civ1.

If you have only 2 sensors put them in opposite corners, so you can get 360 degree coverage.

Any questions? just ask.

Since it's free, then you have nothing to lose??

Suggest you download Oculus Tool. It's a great little utility that helps you get the most out of the Rift Civ1.

If you have only 2 sensors put them in opposite corners, so you can get 360 degree coverage.

Any questions? just ask.

I agree that free is free...I was just wondering if it's a viable headset to use today for games like HL: Alyx etc...does the 3rd sensor make a big difference in terms of tracking or can I get away with just using the included 2?

I agree that free is free...I was just wondering if it's a viable headset to use today for games like HL: Alyx etc...does the 3rd sensor make a big difference in terms of tracking or can I get away with using the 2?

Yeah, it will give you a great experience in that game. It's a really well built VR game that looks and plays good on pretty much anything.

Have you tried VR before?

first time using VR...does the 3rd sensor make a big difference in terms of tracking or can I get away with just using the included 2?
Depends on the size of your room/playspace I'd say.

Edit: heres the relevant info from the oculus rift manual/info booklet. In my opinion, 2 sensors gets you a tiny play space with a 5 ft edge.... Roomscale plays better if you don't constantly bump up against the boundaries and have to use your controllers to move/turn. That's most headsets are now inside out tracking or more powerful laser tracking stations like the index.

1603736498022.png

Last edited:
Side vs Top Corner.jpg

As the tracking comes out as a cone from the sensor, mounting the sensor 8 ft high at a 45 degree angle gives the best results. You could get away with 2 if you do mount it that way. You can get an 8x8 ft space roughly which is smaller than most other modern headsets but playable-- I think 5x5 will feel like a prison box for some games as you basically get 2 steps in any direction from the center and then you have to return.

Last edited:
first time using VR...does the 3rd sensor make a big difference in terms of tracking or can I get away with just using the included 2?

3 sensors will improve tracking, but two sensors are fine to start with.

First time in VR, you are in for a surprise!! Make sure you try the Oculus Dream deck first!! Especially the T-rex one where he is running at you down a hall.

Is he giving you his Oculus account too? If he isn't you lose out on about $150 worth of free games and software :(

And if you like the Oculus dream deck, I suggest you make two purchases, Robo Recall and Lone Echo.

3 sensors will improve tracking, but two sensors are fine to start with.

First time in VR, you are in for a surprise!! Make sure you try the Oculus Dream deck first!! Especially the T-rex one where he is running at you down a hall.

Is he giving you his Oculus account too? If he isn't you lose out on about $150 worth of free games and software :(

And if you like the Oculus dream deck, I suggest you make two purchases, Robo Recall and Lone Echo.

he's not giving me his account so I need to create my own account...I'm mainly interested in HL: Alyx but will definitely give other titles a try...

he's not giving me his account so I need to create my own account...I'm mainly interested in HL: Alyx but will definitely give other titles a try...
Would recommend buying Steam rather than oculus where possible. You can play steam titles on oculus with great compatibility but if you were to move to a non-Facebook headset later then you would have to use revive and there might be some compatibility issues.

That's a shame about the account.

Robo Recall and Lone Echo are two of the best experiences in VR.

I am loving the Quest 2 a lot more than I expected so that gets my vote as the one to get in 2020.
Sure the HP would be awesome but I tell you, if you got the space like a garage or similar area, experiencing room scale with no cables is just something else.
Boxing in Thrill of the fight and being able to move all around just elevates the game.
Fighting with a light saber and moving all around the room..it is simply an amazing experience.

I am loving the Quest 2 a lot more than I expected so that gets my vote as the one to get in 2020.
Sure the HP would be awesome but I tell you, if you got the space like a garage or similar area, experiencing room scale with no cables is just something else.
Boxing in Thrill of the fight and being able to move all around just elevates the game.
Fighting with a light saber and moving all around the room..it is simply an amazing experience.
I am liking the Quest 2 a lot as well. Just make sure your Facebook account is in good standing. So I apparently had a Facebook account years ago that I thought I deleted. My oculus account somehow got associated with that one when I tried to make a new Facebook account through Oculus. So I was unable to log in to my account and lost access to my purchases (Beat Saber and Virtual Desktop). Oculus customer service eventually fixed it for me but I had to wait a few days. Also bear in mind that if your FB account gets banned for any reason, you lose all your Oculus purchases. That's another reason I buy almost all SteamVR titles where possible.

Also remember to adjust your privacy settings unless you do want to share your VR activity with others.

It is what I use until my Reverb G2 arrives. It IS a first generation of VR, so the resolution is very poor and SDE is very noticeable. That said, it will not hinder the first wow effect, especially after you have tried a horror game or Arizone Sunshine and have zombies come up to you and surround you and make you shit your pants.

People do recommend putting one sensor on each corner of the room and yes, that does give you Roomscale VR without 3rd sensor, although there are blindspots without one, and Oculus software will also complain "that the sensors are too far apart". I don't knoe why it does that and you can safely ignore it. Anyway, you will probably need an USB 3.0 extension cables for that too. But you do not need roomscale honestly. Out of the box without extra equipment you can have both sensors in front as long as you are mindful where the sensors are and turn the character in game instead of turning yourself.

Oh, be mindful of motion sickness and do not push yourself too hard. Take breaks and you get used to it. Personally I hate teleportation and it is a bandaid that does not fix the problem, so do not be too afraid to try smooth locomotion which is mandatory for most bigger AAA style games. Walking forward and backwards in game is easy and you get used to it really fast. Turning however is a murder for your sensed. So always use Snap turn when available, it does not take away much from the game.

Back