Which type of SSD in laptop

simonpuk

n00b
Hi,

I have a new laptop coming that has a 512gb nvme M.2 SSD in it.

I want to add an extra 1Tb and I have a Samsung Evo 850 1Tb 2.5" SSD sata or a 1tb M.2 nvme Sabrent Rocket.

At the moment the Samsung is in my desktop system (boot on that is a 2Tb Seagate firecuda nvme)

The laptop can take a second drive in either 2.5" format or M.2 nvme so both options are open to me.

Are there any reasons I should favour one over the other ?

Any advice much appreciated.

I put an XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVMe in my XPS 13. Definitely quicker than the stock 512GB NVMe.

Last edited:
Eh, kinda a toss-up. Whichever is getting the least use now I'd say.

The NVMe will bench faster, of course, but may pull a bit more power. Real-world, I doubt you'd notice either.

Eh, kinda a toss-up. Whichever is getting the least use now I'd say.

The NVMe will bench faster, of course, but may pull a bit more power. Real-world, I doubt you'd notice either.
I concur. I don't notice much difference between my newer machines with PCIe M.2 NVMe drives and my old Sandy Bridge box with SATA SSDs. There are a few exceptions, like copying files, but for the most part I don't notice it much. I'd use the 2.5" in the laptop if I were in your shoes, but I don't do much of anything serious with my laptop anyway. I just keep one around to have something portable. I'd get more use out of a second fast drive in my desktop. That's just me though.

Back