Which slot to mount the NVMe M.2? Cpu or chipset slot?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
I thought this would have been an easy answer, the cpu slot right? But the cpu slot being used says it halves the pcie5 slot that it shares bandwidth with. The board (Aorus MasterZ790) has 2 cpu tied m.2 slots. I guess the other one is free?
Or to the chipset slots which there is 3 more? It is always recommend to install in the cpu slots though, but at the cost of reducing bandwidth to the graphics card, is it better to install it then into the chipset slots?
I'm stumped on this one this time. I wanted to go for the cou but don't want pcie5 to be slipt in half in case the next big Gou is pcie5-¹⁶ and don't want to deal with it later and just have it ready now. But how's the performance on the chipset slots. Generally speaking.

Screenshot_20221215-054505.png

M2A_CPU slot.
That's what I was thinking also. It's interesting how the main slot with more bandwidth at pcie 5 splits the bandwidth in half when you populate the nvme slot. But the second CPU nvme slot does not split the band with in half when it's populated even though it is half the bandwidth at pcie4 and connected to the CPU.
Wouldn't you have thought the more bandwidth slots has more bandwidth to spare? But actually the less band with slot stays full bandwidth when populated LOL.
I have two drives a 980 Pro 2 TB and a wd sn 850x 4 TB. I was considering using the 980 Pro as my initial main drive and the sn850x as my second gaming drive. How would you configure these two?
Maine on the m2a_cpu slot, and the game drive on the controller chipset?

Back