Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

pututu

[H]ard DC'er of the Year 2021
This thread is specifically for those who intend or might consider getting RTX 4090 card soon or in the distant future. There is already a thread discussing about the 4000 series, so let's not bring this up here.

Too bad no EVGA card as I think it would be awesome and that would be my preference.

I know there is still no card review, particularly price and performance (e.g. overclocking) but should have better picture around or after Oct 12th.

For now it is the aesthetic and some reasonable good guesses that can be made from the card design and from manufacturers' site.

Here are some links to RTX 4090 models that will be made available soon.

Tom's hardware.
Techfluencer.
Hothardware.

For me, I'm leaning towards the FE since it is likely to be the cheapest. For me, cost is important as most of my computer hardware are been dedicated towards distributed computing and not gaming (sorry gamers, I'm not a hardcore gamers). My second choice will be ASUS TUF and again due to cost but ZOTAC one looks very nice (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) with curvy edges....

I've been leaning more toward AIO models so I'd like to see what they all have, sadly will have to wait longer for those to come out. But considering I'm not buying on release that's not a problem.

I haven’t really looked at this gen yet but based on last gen I would probably go FE or Strix. Gigabyte was decent as well, they had bad thermal pads on the memory but that shouldn’t matter too much now that mining is dead.

Distributed remote GPU scenarios? Just curious.

I figure if you're not gaming at a minimum of 4K on some pretty nice equipment (including monitor), these cards aren't for you. But maybe I could see somebody doing virtual handout of resources to many being a potential thing.

My fall back brand if it's not available at EVGA has always been Asus and if absolutely necessary, PNY. I don't usually consider anyone else except on the extreme end, Zotac.. maybe.

EVGA was the king, Asus was the queen. I supposed ASUS is now king, though they could definitely improve their warranty support process.. I have had to RMA very few items from Asus in the last 15-20 years or so, same goes for EVGA.

BFG and/or XFX should take an opportunity here and re-engage, that would be epic.

XFX continues to be great with AMD but BFG was amazing too.

I'm still deciding between the 4090/4080-16gb but I would have to get the 4090 Founders Edition because its the only one that looks like it will fit in my case. Gonna wait for reviews before finalizing my decision.

Distributed remote GPU scenarios? Just curious.

I figure if you're not gaming at a minimum of 4K on some pretty nice equipment (including monitor), these cards aren't for you. But maybe I could see somebody doing virtual handout of resources to many being a potential thing.
Distributed computing: https://hardforum.com/forums/distributed-computing.32/. Come and join us ;)

Some of us have tons of hardware (both cpus and gpus). Those doing folding@home (protein folding for cancer, Alzheimer, covid, etc) project usually run gpus for best computational efficiency. Instead of crypto mining, the cpu/gpu are used to contribute towards science and math research. Since we are doing volunteer computing, price and efficiency are very important factors when choosing gpus. Any question, please post it in the distributed computing forum.

I always went with Asus TUF for simplicity but I'm feeling the Suprim X design. That Asus Strix 4090 is just awful looking to me.

I always went with Asus TUF for simplicity but I'm feeling the Suprim X design. That Asus Strix 4090 is just awful looking to me.
I tend to agree with you. Further TUF is cheaper than Strix and the fan side looks better for my eyes than the Strix. The fan side of Strix looks more like other AIB AMD cards. Maybe that's just me.

1663867289469.png

Am on the fence depending on reviews and/or what I can get for my 3090 closer to Christmas. Am interested in the 16GB 4080 Founders edition on paper, but a lot of things are going to come down to reviews and actual performance #'s. With no power-hungry titles coming in the short term, I'm just as likely to keep my 3090 for another year, though.

Reactions: Dan
like this
Strix is kinda ugly but I don’t see my card and it’s likely the sturdiest of any of the AIB designs that I have seen so far since it has an all metal frame.

It will have a Strix tax though so I will wait to see where pricing falls.

I have been very pleased with my MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X, and I’m not really sure that I’m going to upgrade to the 4090, but if I am, then I will wait for reviews for sure. Not in a hurry this time.

After seeing the press release I am thinking if it prices out like the release and actually preforms to their claims. I would be in the market to buy a 4090. Seeing EVGA is not in the game. MSI is a choice. Just from me having a 2070 super that is a work horse. My biggest concern would be which manufacturer will have the best customer service if rma will ever be needed. I Def will not be a early release buyer. We seen the heat issues with the 3090 right off the rip. So don't want to get caught up in that if it's a issue.

So with no evga will Kingpin work with another company. That would be something I would like to see.

I'll probably get the FE model. I currently have a 3080Ti FE and it works great and looks decent. I would have chosen EVGA first though if they were still making Nvidia cards.

Asus TUF is the current plan. Curious to see the MSI AIO model though as well. 4090 all the way.

After seeing the press release I am thinking if it prices out like the release and actually preforms to their claims. I would be in the market to buy a 4090. Seeing EVGA is not in the game. MSI is a choice. Just from me having a 2070 super that is a work horse. My biggest concern would be which manufacturer will have the best customer service if rma will ever be needed. I Def will not be a early release buyer. We seen the heat issues with the 3090 right off the rip. So don't want to get caught up in that if it's a issue.

So with no evga will Kingpin work with another company. That would be something I would like to see.

MSI is and will forever remain, exclusively, a *BAD* "choice". Never have I regretted anything more than MSI gpus. I honestly don't know how they remain in business when they keep releasing cards with major problems every generation and then gaslighting or even wholesale deleteing any threads posted on the forums from their customers who complain about such paltry issues as cards overheating to destruction, fresh out of the box stock, en masse, because they don't bother actually testing a design, and just slap the same cooler they've been using for 5 generations on cards with much higher tdp.

It's a shame about EVGA, but unless MSI starts making Zotac's prices look outrageous, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever consider them. Please for the love of all that's holy, choose *ANY* other vendor.

Just my unsolicited opinion, I'm glad you have had a good experience with MSI, but trust me, they're the absolute LAST company you ever want to have to deal with CS or RMA with.

MSI is and will forever remain, exclusively, a *BAD* "choice". Never have I regretted anything more than MSI gpus. I honestly don't know how they remain in business when they keep releasing cards with major problems every generation and then gaslighting or even wholesale deleteing any threads posted on the forums from their customers who complain about such paltry issues as cards overheating to destruction, fresh out of the box stock, en masse, because they don't bother actually testing a design, and just slap the same cooler they've been using for 5 generations on cards with much higher tdp.

It's a shame about EVGA, but unless MSI starts making Zotac's prices look outrageous, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever consider them. Please for the love of all that's holy, choose *ANY* other vendor.

Just my unsolicited opinion, I'm glad you have had a good experience with MSI, but trust me, they're the absolute LAST company you ever want to have to deal with CS or RMA with.

Never needed to RMA a GPU from MSI (my one experience was uneventful), but I did have to with a motherboard a few years ago. No issues, but it did take 2 weeks to get a new one in the mail. EVGA typically only takes a week, if not less.

Never needed to RMA a GPU from MSI (my one experience was uneventful), but I did have to with a motherboard a few years ago. No issues, but it did take 2 weeks to get a new one in the mail. EVGA typically only takes a week, if not less.
Like I said MY MSI 2070 super is a champ. Every mother board from them have been rock solid. Out of the 11 cards I fold with 8 of them are EVGA cards. Plus my daughter's 3070ti. So I don't have a EVGA card to chose from at this point. My wife's 2080ti is a MSI and works great. I have not had to rma a MSI card yet. I did have to on a mother board but that's a whole different story. I'll stick to my choice unless a different company can show me different. BTW I have rma'ed more EVGA cards than any other company but would still buy from them.

Like I said MY MSI 2070 super is a champ. Every mother board from them have been rock solid. Out of the 11 cards I fold with 8 of them are EVGA cards. Plus my daughter's 3070ti. So I don't have a EVGA card to chose from at this point. My wife's 2080ti is a MSI and works great. I have not had to rma a MSI card yet. I did have to on a mother board but that's a whole different story. I'll stick to my choice unless a different company can show me different. BTW I have rma'ed more EVGA cards than any other company but would still buy from them.

I'm glad you've had a good experience with them. I did for years until I got an Armor OC 1080ti from them. Of course these got released during one of the first mining crazes, I thought I got lucky scoring one when I just happened to have money for it. There were zero reviews, but MSI had a good rep, as did the previous gen of these models, and considering the circumstances, no one was going to wait. These cards were however, NOTORIOUSLY under-cooled and scores of them died, hundreds of legit complaints on the MSI forums were getting deleted by the mods, and they refused to acknowledge any problems. They literally slapped the exact same cooler they'd been using for at least 1 if not more gens on it, gave them super aggressive stock OCs and clearly didn't test them. Most of us were hitting 95-100C stock and getting throttled but lots of cards died. Fortunately I hadn't had an opportunity to push mine yet, so I decided to just bite the bullet and get a waterblock for it. Card still died within a couple of years of light use, and less than their stock OC. Even though everyone knew these cards were improperly cooled, since I removed the stock cooler, warranty void obviously. The amount of effort they put into denying and trying to cover up the situation is my and many people's issue, and this is one in a long list of similar scenarios with MSI. They're just shady when it comes to business practices.

I'd personally rather deal with a company that focuses on, and whom I have certainty will make it right, like EVGA, 10 times over, than a single other chance of it with MSI, even if there was a product that somehow objectively was 10x less likely to fail. I had great luck with MSI products over the years myself, previously, and if they had owned up to it, apologized, and seemed to be making any legitimate effort to re-earn trust, it'd be different, but they act like they're Apple, when they're just one of a dozen companies that can do exactly what they do, yet treat their customers better when there is a problem. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, clearly I've got an axe to grind with MSI, and I'm derailing the thread, so I apologize to everyone. I made a vow to never let them live this down however, and I intend to keep that promise.

Cheers, and carry on all. Thanks for indulging me.

IMHO, we need to stop crying about how great EVGA was. They're dead GPU wise. Time to figure out the company that might come close.

Since I've not been gaming much and have been focusing on other things lately, I'm probably just going to wait for the Ti/Titan card and AMD's new cards to see how those perform. I'll most likely go with Asus if I stick with Nvidia, unless some another brand receives impressive feedback. The main game I'm playing right now is the health and fitness and self-improvement game (y).

IMHO, AMD RDNA 3 doesn't even have to "out do" Nvidia here, they just need to provide lower power envelopes and size. In fact, the size thing could be the "deal breaker" for many.

Since I've not been gaming much and have been focusing on other things lately, I'm probably just going to wait for the Ti/Titan card and AMD's new cards to see how those perform. I'll most likely go with Asus if I stick with Nvidia, unless some another brand receives impressive feedback. The main game I'm playing right now is the health and fitness and self-improvement game (y).
Good on you for playing the Health/Fitness IRL game, it's the best way to see as many releases possible in our lifespan.
SanAndreasBenchPress.gif

IMHO, AMD RDNA 3 doesn't even have to "out do" Nvidia here, they just need to provide lower power envelopes and size. In fact, the size thing could be the "deal breaker" for many.
AMD likely also won't have as many atrocious looking cards with stupid supports.

I have to admit that I was very intrigued by the new FE design when 3080/3090 came out but we all know how impossible they were to get hold on in the months after the launch. I might actually look into a 4090 FE eventually but not sure I can get any fair deal on my 3090.

AMD likely also won't have as many atrocious looking cards with stupid supports.
We can hope, but if the goal of AMD is to "crazy compete", there will be supports because their cards will be weighty monstrous beasts as well.

I have to admit that I was very intrigued by the new FE design when 3080/3090 came out but we all know how impossible they were to get hold on in the months after the launch. I might actually look into a 4090 FE eventually but not sure I can get any fair deal on my 3090.
Depends on what you consider fair, I've seen the 3090 ti going for close to or at 999.

Would have gotten any 4090 but they won’t fit in my case. The Falcon northwest case won’t do water cooling. Oh well

Back