Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Nah.. I'll skip pascal...

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Waiting for 1080Ti/new Titan

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

Aircoookie

Limp Gawd
Just a quick thread to discuss buying preferences regarding the new cards. I'll be getting MSI Gaming or Asus Strix 1080/1070 most likely, depending on the final price...

Just a quick thread to discuss buying preferences regarding the new cards. I'll be getting MSI Gaming or Asus Strix 1080/1070 most likely, depending on the final price...
You may want to add an 'other custom 1080' category for other AIB cards not on your list. AIB 1070 for me with potential for big pascal in the future

Wanted to do that, seems like [H] only allows 10 poll options... Galax seems to be the one with the least sales so also use that for other custom cards (i can't change the poll if somebody voted :/ )

Last edited:
I'm going to hold off for Polaris launch and if that fails to impress, I might grab an EVGA Classified.

All things considered, I am going to go with a custom 1070 given that I will be playing in 1080p.

From an ASUS Strix 970 to an ASUS Strix 1080, for me.

This will be the first time I'm upgrading in successive generations since going from a 6800 to a 7900 (and that was an EVGA StepUp). I've wanted to make the jump to 1440p, but I wasn't content to settle for a merely adequate experience (which, short of the Titan X, is what I felt Maxwell provided).

Presuming it functions as good is it looks, props to ASUS on this one. I was an EVGA fan until the crap they pulled with the 900 series; I've been very happy with the Strix 970, and I think the design on the Strix 1080 is straight up EPIC. (It's worth noting, this card is going into the first build where esthetic and illumination are important to me.)

From an ASUS Strix 970 to an ASUS Strix 1080, for me.

This will be the first time I'm upgrading in successive generations since going from a 6800 to a 7900 (and that was an EVGA StepUp). I've wanted to make the jump to 1440p, but I wasn't content to settle for a merely adequate experience (which, short of the Titan X, is what I felt Maxwell provided).

Presuming it functions as good is it looks, props to ASUS on this one. I was an EVGA fan until the crap they pulled with the 900 series; I've been very happy with the Strix 970, and I think the design on the Strix 1080 is straight up EPIC. (It's worth noting, this card is going into the first build where esthetic and illumination are important to me.)
I'm in nearly the same boat. Went from a MSI GTX 760 to a MSI GAMING 4G 970, will likely be going to the GAMING 1080, but I'm waiting to see what happens with the 1070s and the AMD front before pulling the trigger. Lets just say my brother and sister love me when the upgrade bug comes, cause they always get the hand-me-downs, lmao. That said it means I always have someone to game with, so there's always that :)

Asus and Zotac are coolest this time, msi is a bit less of exciting, but good as well. I'm more inclined towards 3-fan 1080.

I'm gonna wait and see the reviews on the Asus Strix OC and see if I want to sell my 980's.

The EVGA model. Happy with their customer service and warranties.

I'll probably be skipping this generation. Since I'm using an ROG Swift, and a 980 Ti handles 1440p amply (especially considering I don't play many AAA games lately), there's just really absolutely no point. I'd consider it if I was moving to 4k, but I'm not and I don't really have any plans to do so.

... Frankly, I might be slowly moving away from gaming in general for some reason.

I currently own the Gigabyte 980ti Waterforce running on Laithan's modded BIOS with a nice stable OC.

The plan is to wait it out for an hybrid / water cooled 1080ti.

Hopefully that will be able to pump out 60 fps+ @ 4k on max settings all day long.

Waiting for the TI but I might stick with my clocked 980ti anyway. (1470Mz oc)
Its still got a lot miles to go on the clock, especially at 1080p.

The white Galax HOF edition teased looks super nice, hopefully the reviews don't show anything wrong with it.

I'm in nearly the same boat. Went from a MSI GTX 760 to a MSI GAMING 4G 970, will likely be going to the GAMING 1080, but I'm waiting to see what happens with the 1070s and the AMD front before pulling the trigger. Lets just say my brother and sister love me when the upgrade bug comes, cause they always get the hand-me-downs, lmao. That said it means I always have someone to game with, so there's always that :)

Heh, I went from an EVGA 760 to Gigabyte 970 to in all probability 1080.
I'm still waiting for what Polaris brings to the table, but the 29th June launch date is disappointing, not to mention that it doesn't exactly inspire much confidence after they've spent the last 6 months hyping it up.
Not yet decided if I should get a 6700k or look for a 5820k/6800k. Not sure if the price premium is worth it.

The white Galax HOF edition teased looks super nice, hopefully the reviews don't show anything wrong with it.

Not an option for us here in North America since they abandoned us. But I dig their style.

Heh, I went from an EVGA 760 to Gigabyte 970 to in all probability 1080.
I'm still waiting for what Polaris brings to the table, but the 29th June launch date is disappointing, not to mention that it doesn't exactly inspire much confidence after they've spent the last 6 months hyping it up.
Not yet decided if I should get a 6700k or look for a 5820k/6800k. Not sure if the price premium is worth it.

Price premium between 1070 and 1080 - might not. But I assure you - 6700k vs X99 in gaming - definitely not!

In all likelihood I will be getting a 1060. I cannot see me upgrading my 1080p TV to 4k before the next generation comes out and I only want something to play GTA V near enough maxed out @ 60fps. Do you think a 1060 would manage this?

Price premium between 1070 and 1080 - might not. But I assure you - 6700k vs X99 in gaming - definitely not!
I'm honestly kinda set on the 1080, I don't think a 1070 would be enough of a performance jump. Either that or waiting for big Pascal, but I'm really getting rather impatient.
As for the CPU - I know that for now a 6700k is more than enough, heck even my 4670k is still good enough for almost anything. Just want a CPU that will last me 3 to 4 years, so I'm not sure if a hexacore wouldn't have a better longetivity. But it is some 180€ more, which isn't all that little.

I'm honestly kinda set on the 1080, I don't think a 1070 would be enough of a performance jump. Either that or waiting for big Pascal, but I'm really getting rather impatient.
As for the CPU - I know that for now a 6700k is more than enough, heck even my 4670k is still good enough for almost anything. Just want a CPU that will last me 3 to 4 years, so I'm not sure if a hexacore wouldn't have a better longetivity. But it is some 180€ more, which isn't all that little.
6700k will definitely be fine for 3-4 years. you won't benefit from x99 for gaming only.

All things considered, I am going to go with a custom 1070 given that I will be playing in 1080p.

1070 is probably overkill at 1080p TBH, as it should be able to max all games at 1440p out of the box. What is your current GPU? People will be dumping 980ti's and Titan X's like crazy this month, you might be better served buying one of those for substantially cheaper.

I also voted for 1070 AIB, but i will be gaming at 4k, which a 980ti was adequate for max settings on 90% of my games.

1070 is probably overkill at 1080p TBH, as it should be able to max all games at 1440p out of the box. What is your current GPU? People will be dumping 980ti's and Titan X's like crazy this month, you might be better served buying one of those for substantially cheaper.

I also voted for 1070 AIB, but i will be gaming at 4k, which a 980ti was adequate for max settings on 90% of my games.

1070 is definitely fine for 1440p, but can't max everything, you still need to drop a setting or two. 980ti wasn't able either and they are about the same. 1080 has this 20-25% extra juice that allows to max out everything at 1440p, though at 55% more price comparing to 1070.
Personally I'm fine with dropping some settings from ultra to very high/high (depending on how this one step below is called), but some people are not. I'm more worried if 1070 will be enough for 1440p gaming in upcoming games till volta or you'll still have to get 1080/1080ti later for comfortable experience.

1070 is definitely fine for 1440p, but can't max everything, you still need to drop a setting or two. 980ti wasn't able either and they are about the same. 1080 has this 20-25% extra juice that allows to max out everything at 1440p, though at 55% more price comparing to 1070.
Personally I'm fine with dropping some settings from ultra to very high/high (depending on how this one step below is called), but some people are not. I'm more worried if 1070 will be enough for 1440p gaming in upcoming games till volta or you'll still have to get 1080/1080ti later for comfortable experience.

I see your point. The only games i play that I couldn't max on 4k with a 980ti were fallout 4 and Doom. For you the 1070 should be good too, and if you're concerned about future proofing it wouldn't hurt to sell it if/when they release a 1080ti.

In all likelihood I will be getting a 1060. I cannot see me upgrading my 1080p TV to 4k before the next generation comes out and I only want something to play GTA V near enough maxed out @ 60fps. Do you think a 1060 would manage this?

I take it you aren't a fan of SAMSUNG's curved 4K models? We have two of the non-curved (and non-4K) SMART HDTVs, and they are quite fine, and it's possible that one or both will be replaced with curved 4K models of the same size; unfortunately, the 55" curved model eats too much wall (that model was on sale this past weekend on HSN.COM and HSN; that sale price is the same price the 49" curved model is at the lowest-priced local SAMSUNG Authorized Dealer The Big Screen Store). Speaking of which, I'm hoping to get a look at the 49" model this month or next at the store; it's everything EXCEPT curved and may actually fit on my wall.

For me, I'm in no hurry to replace my card, so I'll be waiting to see all these custom board cards being reviewed before deciding. I'll be looking for a right balance between clock speed and fan noise.

I've been unsuccessful in fighting the temptation to upgrade every year and have had a new card almost every year (last streak was 18 months).

But I think I'm finally in a position to hold for the next cycle. That is, unless the 1070 drops to a tantalizing price...:cool:

I'm waiting to see where things come out in the AMD world first. I like that possible $200 price point. That or 1070. Anything will be an upgrade over my CF'd 4850's.

I take it you aren't a fan of SAMSUNG's curved 4K models? We have two of the non-curved (and non-4K) SMART HDTVs, and they are quite fine, and it's possible that one or both will be replaced with curved 4K models of the same size; unfortunately, the 55" curved model eats too much wall (that model was on sale this past weekend on HSN.COM and HSN; that sale price is the same price the 49" curved model is at the lowest-priced local SAMSUNG Authorized Dealer The Big Screen Store). Speaking of which, I'm hoping to get a look at the 49" model this month or next at the store; it's everything EXCEPT curved and may actually fit on my wall.
My flat isn't really suitable for a 4k TV as I would not go for anything below 50" and would probably go for something around the 60" size. I'd also want the new technologies like OLED and HDR if I am doing a major tv upgrade and the prices atm are just not worth it.

my 280x is fine but my friend will be going with polaris...

I'll be getting a "reference" 1070 from an AIB and putting a Corsair/NZXT hybrid cooler on it with an H110I GT

Gonna skip Pascall unless I get an ultra-wide. I have no desire for a standard 4k panel. I really want an ultrawide, but I'm gonna wait still for prices to fall and technology to mature more. Even at that point. I haven't decided if I'll end up getting another 980Ti for the loop, or go Pascal. The ultrawide will probably still be another year out, so who knows.

Waiting to see what the Pascal Titan has to offer before making a purchasing decision.

GP102 or bust for me. I hope it is at least >450mm^2, 250W TDP, and >3500 FP32 cuda cores.

I don't care at all if it has GDDR5X or HBM2, as long as you can overclock the core to >2000MHz on air, and hopefully a few hundred MHz higher on water.

Back