Which of these SFX PSUs on 6800XT + 5600x?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

Hello, am building a PC for the first time in 10 years. It'll be in a Cooler Master NR200 SFF case. I plan on running all stock (aside from Rage Mode/auto overclock GPU). 6800XT and 5600x, all air cooled, nothing special - bare bones gaming set up.

The official PSU requirements for 6800XT on AMDs site state 750W, which by all accounts and from what laypeople are saying online, sounds a bit overkill.(6800 requires 650W and 6900XT is 850W).

There is a big price difference between 650W and 750W PSUs. Would a quality 650W be 100% safe and effective as a 750W?

These are the ones I'm debating between:
Cooler Master V650 SFX Gold. $120
Silverstone SX700-PT SFX 700W Platinum. $175
Corsair SF750 750 Platinum. $185

Is the Corsair worth such a premium? Could the Cooler Master work identically as well for this setup?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I decided on the Corsair after doing further reading, and especially due to finding out it is the quitest, and highest quality one according to some reviews I've compared. It will give me piece of mind over the other 2 for many years.

If anything I might go for the Corsair SF600 even. Though that one is gold rated and 600W might be tempting it too much, right?

I've always liked Corsair PSU. I've had them in at least 6 of my most recent builds and I have yet experienced a failed PSU.

I decided on the Corsair after doing further reading, and especially due to finding out it is the quitest, and highest quality one according to some reviews I've compared. It will give me piece of mind over the other 2 for many years.

If anything I might go for the Corsair SF600 even. Though that one is gold rated and 600W might be tempting it too much, right?
give yourself a bigger peace of mind by buying the one the gpu calls for, 750w, corsair is good.

give yourself a bigger peace of mind by buying the one the gpu calls for, 750w, corsair is good.
See, thing is the math doesn't make sense. The 6800XT is a 300W card, the 5600x is 65, will run one drive, and that's it, that's under 400W. There are spikes and such to account for but that easily leaves 350W of breathing room. That feels like throwing money away, when Corsair SF600 (granted Gold rated) is $65 cheaper.

I think they are giving a lot of headroom in their 750W *minimum* requirement seems weird to me.

Does this seem foolish/risky to consider going for the 600W Corsair instead?

edit: i think it's cutting it too close for comfort with 600 and unfortunately that's the next step down from the SF750, so I will go ahead and take the cautionary approach to sleep better at night :)

Thank you for your input

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 21.11.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 21.11.14.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I would have bought the Corsair SF750. I can't find them for under $250 locally, but I don't have a MC near me. I got the Silverstone SX700 instead since I could actually buy it. I already have a SF600 in another build and it works fine. It's probably enough for what I'm doing anyway, but figured to go 100W more for upgradability.

I believe the scarcity of the SF platinum line is due to a recent recall due to some bad parts that could damage the PSU during operation (but not any other components of your computer). It is an optional consumer recall but I wonder if it got extended to retailers needing to send stock back. If so they're probably replacing components in them right now and hopefully will send them back out to retailers to find at MSRP again sometime in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones at MC are affected by this recall

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-recalls-sf-series-platinum-psus-over-failure-concerns

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Back