Which of these 850watt PSUs do you recommend?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I currently have a 9700k cpu on a Z390 motherboard, msot likely upgrading to a X670E when the next gen X3D processor comes out. I have a RTX-3080 video card, and 32GB DDR4. I mostly game, and that's on my 38" UW monitor. My old 750watt PSU from many years ago, maybe 6 or 7yrs, has all of a sudden been showing some possible issues. I had some errors on WoW and BF20242 with Windows 11 shutting the game down saying something about lost power or some error. That's never ever happened before, until just this week.

Asus ROG Strix;
https://www.microcenter.com/product...lus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply-white

Corsair;​

https://www.microcenter.com/product...lus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply-white

CoolerMaster;
https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-gold-sfx-fully-modular-power-supply

Reactions: pug71
like this

Corsair...... knowing its backed by my fav brand Seasonic...​

I see we are fans of the same store too.. love my local one.

Corsair...... knowing its backed by my fav brand Seasonic...​

I see we are fans of the same store too.. love my local one.
Actually, the Corsair is a CWT built unit and the Asus is the Seasonic.
The Corsair is still solid but a cheaper version of the rm850x. I would go with the Asus. Unless you need a sfx unit.

Why? If I remember right, total system draw with a 3080 was around 500-550 watts. An 850 should be plenty. Granted my memory isn't what it used to be.
Depends on how high you're running the 3080 ;). Mine alone has a power limit of over 450w draw if I want it to, and next gen cards start at that.

The cpu he intends to get sucks down 200w on its own too. I think it would be foolish for him to buy an 850w when he already is intending to upgrade, let alone the future :).

Finally, he is having transient spikes for which his 750w isn't enough, so 850 is a tiny upgrade. Don't forget you need to have some headroom for the system too.

Last edited:
If OP wasn't in a pinch, I would recommend waiting for Seasonics Vertex units to hit the shelves. May as well go with an atx 3.0 unit at this point. Mid December may be to long a wait unfortunately.

I would also wait til the 3.0 PSU come out as long as you are willing to pay the extra for it. A 1000w PSU would also be a good idea for the future. If you plan on keeping the unit for a long time then it is worth the extra cost.

GoldenTiger is right. 850W might not be enough for the transient spikes depending on what your other components are. I've had otherwise good PSU's crap out on me due to transient Ampere power spikes. Shame that the PSU makers take the hit for Nvidia's screw up, but here we are.

I would expect going forward that this is addressed in the 3.0 spec.

Is 850w enough?

I have a RTX-3080 and night get a 4080 next year or equivalent AMD.

I would never buy a 4090 those cards are stupid and just power hog bricks.

Plus I never OC of anything I undervolt to keep my system running efficient and cool.

Is 850w enough?

I have a RTX-3080 and night get a 4080 next year or equivalent AMD.

I would never buy a 4090 those cards are stupid and just power hog bricks.

Plus I never OC of anything I undervolt to keep my system running efficient and cool.

Maybe, maybe not. EVGA 850W gold was no go for me due to spikes. EVGA 1200W Platinum...no issues.

Hard to say if the 4080 addresses this or not at this point since the cards aren't out yet ;).

Get a PSU with a good warranty?

Also, that SFX Cooler Master is probably not a good choice. I've heard the fans are loud on them. I'm guessing you picked it because it was white like the others, not because it is SFX.

Maybe, maybe not. EVGA 850W gold was no go for me due to spikes. EVGA 1200W Platinum...no issues.

Hard to say if the 4080 addresses this or not at this point since the cards aren't out yet ;).

Get a PSU with a good warranty?

Also, that SFX Cooler Master is probably not a good choice. I've heard the fans are loud on them. I'm guessing you picked it because it was white like the others, not because it is SFX.

How about these options;

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-plus-platinum-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-009B-0...er supply platinum-_-9SIAUNCJ1N5816-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-02PY-0...er supply platinum-_-9SIAUNCGEN7814-_-Product

Or this beast;

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-plus-platinum-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

Would buying and plugging these white cables into the Seasonic work? And be safe?

https://www.amazon.com/OUCAXIA-Sleeved-Modular-Seasonic-Supply/dp/B09LVKQC7Q#customerReviews

Compatible with Seasonic PSU: M12II EVO, Focus Plus Gold, Focus GX, Focus Plus Platinum, Focus PX, Focus SGX(SFX), PRIME GX, PRIME PX, PRIME TX, PRIME Gold, PRIME Ultra Gold, PRIME Platinum, PRIME Ultra Platinum, PRIME Ultra Titanium, PRIME Snow Silent.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not saying you need a 1200W PSU. I bet a good 850W platinum from a good company would likely be fine. I've had the same Ampere card that tripped the 850W Gold EVGA run fine on a 700W platinum SFX Silverstone PSU. It's not necessarily the wattage.

That Seasonic I listed above, Plus those wires off Amazon that are specifically made for that PSU brand has peaked my interest.

Or this beast;

Would buying and plugging these white cables into the Seasonic work? And be safe?

https://www.amazon.com/OUCAXIA-Sleeved-Modular-Seasonic-Supply/dp/B09LVKQC7Q#customerReviews

Compatible with Seasonic PSU: M12II EVO, Focus Plus Gold, Focus GX, Focus Plus Platinum, Focus PX, Focus SGX(SFX), PRIME GX, PRIME PX, PRIME TX, PRIME Gold, PRIME Ultra Gold, PRIME Platinum, PRIME Ultra Platinum, PRIME Ultra Titanium, PRIME Snow Silent.
I wouldn't trust those cheapies with my nice shiney. I've seen too many people post burnt and melted wires/connectors using kits like them. I went with,
CableMod RT-Series Pro ModFlex Sleeved Cable Kit for ASUS and Seasonic,
for my focus px 850w.

I did purchase the CableMod wires on Amazon.

Tomorrow will go to Microcenter and grab the Seasonic PSU, just not sure if I should get the 1300w for future proofing, it just the 850w ?

I'd recommend higher than 850w, for starters...
Why... just recommending higher watt psu just for the heck off it is mindless... in fact its not even efficient for the system. Thing could probably get by on a 750w psu from a good brand name.. BUT, I would not try it tbh.. 850w though is MORE than enough for YEARS to come from the best brand names out there.

I did purchase the CableMod wires on Amazon.

Tomorrow will go to Microcenter and grab the Seasonic PSU, just not sure if I should get the 1300w for future proofing, it just the 850w ?

Please dont do that.. Save your cash... No way you need 1300w for your system...... My system is same as yours almost with a Seasonic 850w psu..... Who in the world said you needed a beefy psu like that????

Nevermind Now I read and saw who said it.. good lord..... So I checked out MC .... You could save some cash and still come out good.... They have a Gold 850w psu,

PRIME GX-1000 w,​

Seasonic USA PRIME TX-850​

All 3 you could still come out saving some cash... They are all nice units for your system too..

Last edited:
Reading this review on MC about a 850w PSU is what got me thinking it's still too low? I have read this on a few forums today;

This is a very high quality power supply that is capable of delivering the $850 watts advertised. However, I would not put this power supply with any GPU that requires three eight pin PCIE connectors for supplemental power, or one of those new 16-pin connectors. If you were to source a triple 8 pin to 16-pin connector adapter. I had this power supply with a 3080 STRIX and even without overclocking I noticed that the power supplies fan was giving a very distinctive squeal. When I check my watt meter for CPU GPU and accessories I was getting almost 700 watts. With my sound card in, I was getting almost 800. I would not recommend this power supply if you're looking to go super high end single GPU, but you should be more than okay so long as your GPU has no more than two eight pin connectors to it. And you do not seek to overclock in I-9 processor.

Reading this review on MC about a 850w PSU is what got me thinking it's still too low? I have read this on a few forums today;

This is a very high quality power supply that is capable of delivering the $850 watts advertised. However, I would not put this power supply with any GPU that requires three eight pin PCIE connectors for supplemental power, or one of those new 16-pin connectors. If you were to source a triple 8 pin to 16-pin connector adapter. I had this power supply with a 3080 STRIX and even without overclocking I noticed that the power supplies fan was giving a very distinctive squeal. When I check my watt meter for CPU GPU and accessories I was getting almost 700 watts. With my sound card in, I was getting almost 800. I would not recommend this power supply if you're looking to go super high end single GPU, but you should be more than okay so long as your GPU has no more than two eight pin connectors to it. And you do not seek to overclock in I-9 processor.

Yeah why I also mentioned.... You could try that 1000 one.. But there is just no way you need a 1200 or even 1300 psu... that just silly......

pug71 appreciate the help and advice, thank you sir.

Curious, what's the problem with going with something like that 1300w PSU? Does that draw too much power from the wall outlet compared to a 850w or 1000w? Or does the PC only draw power for it needs to use?

Last edited:
pug71 appreciate the help and advice, thank you sir.

Curious, what's the problem with going with something like that 1300w PSU? Does that draw too much power from outlet compared to a 850w or 1000w? Or does the PC only draw power for it needs to use?

Your last line said it all .. All about that efficiency. Don't get us wrong.. Its a great PSU.. Just not needed yet.. Hope not ever lol.

This review of the Seasonic 1300w was the one that peaked my interest in it earlier today;

So Far, this PSU,gives me ample "actual" Wattage for everyday use. Maybe overkill for most applications, but provides well enough power for my thirsty RTX 3080, 12900k, and all the RGB fans to cool down this furnace. With a 12 year warranty and the price/performance ratio it is a good value. Plus if I upgrade to a 4000 Series card down the road I know I'm covered.

Oh you headed 40 Series soon too? Well I would say with some caution.. Go with what he said above... See how it all works out..

LOL reading too much here, but almost everyone is saying the Corsair brand is rock solid, and surprisingly some people saying Seasonic is overrated and have issues.

I purchased this to replace my Corsair Hx850 after getting a 3080. I thought my previous power supply would be enough to power everything, but after playing a few games on max settings my PC would randomly just shut down. This Corsair HX1200 replacement worked out great, and MC even price matched me after I noticed amazon had the same power supply for less. Amazing store, amazing service, overall a great experience!

Last question, get the Seasonic 1300w Platinum, or the Corsair 1200w Platinum?

Why... just recommending higher watt psu just for the heck off it is mindless... in fact its not even efficient for the system. Thing could probably get by on a 750w psu from a good brand name.. BUT, I would not try it tbh.. 850w though is MORE than enough for YEARS to come from the best brand names out there.
It wasn't "for the heck of it". Read my post. I see you now agreed later in the thread. You're welcome. Same to you, Zorachus.

Back