• ViewSonic VX2255WMB

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Ice009

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

I posted a similar thread on two Australian forums that I frequent and didn't get many replies there to help me choose which Monitor to get. I found a link to this forum on one of those sites and thought I'd register and post my question here as you guys seem to really know your stuff.

Basically I don't know which monitor to buy so I thought I'd get a poll started here. Most are 22" except for the Samsung (21.6") and BenQ (24").

Regarding the BenQ G2400W, I'm not sure I want to spend that much as I have to buy a whole new system, but I have read that it is a good value for money 24" TN panel. If you guys think it is worth it I might be persuaded to get it. Another thing that makes me have second thoughts is BenQ's Pixel Policy. How is their Pixel Policy?

Also, has anyone used the 22" ViewSonic monitors I listed above?

btw I am in Australia and my budget is $500 AU MAX.

Thanks in advance.

BenQ dead pixel policy may differ in various countries, but I doubt it. Don't expect something special regarding dead pixels in this price range :)
I'd definitely go for 24" monitor with 1920x1200 than use 22" (1680x1050), I consider it better for work and also for playing certain games.

How much is G2400W in Australia?

BenQ dead pixel policy may differ in various countries, but I doubt it. Don't expect something special regardind dead pixels in this price range :)
I'd efinitely go for 24" monitor with 1920x1200 then use 22" (1680x1050), I consider it better for work and also for playing certain games.

How much is G2400W in Australia?

The G2400W I can get for about $450 whereas the V2400W is around $550 in Australia. Most other 24 inch monitors like the Samsung 245B and LG 24" TN panels are all around $550.

All the other 22" Monitors I listed are between $290 (Asus) - $320 (Samsung).

I spoke with Benq about my G2400WD and specifically asked if I had a dead pixel in the monitor, they said that it would be concidered defective and would help me RMA it, as long as it was with in 14 days.
I second the G2400WD, I have two of them and love them! Rig listed below.

The G2400WD isn't actually available in australia, only the G2400W (well I haven't seen it anywhere and an online shop bot search came up with nothing in australia).

There are a few 24" screens you can buy for under $500, no idea how good they are. Acer has cash backs on their monitors until the 30th, so if you pick one up soon you can get a P241WB for $445AUD after a $60 cashback. Samsung also has cash backs (not sure when they'll expire), so you can pick up a 2493HM for $490AUD after a $100 cashback.

I've heard good things about the picture quality of the 2493HM, but it doesn't have 1:1 scaling so if you want to plug in any 1080 source (PS3, xbox360, bluray or HD stuff) it will stretch the image slightly. If you only plan on using it at its native resolution it'll be fine though. Apparently it has good scaling also, so when you do have to play at a non-native resolution, it wont have any real issue with it (other than stretching if its not 4:3 or 16:10).

But I dunno, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to decide which monitor to get in a similar price range to you. I'm leaning toward the G2400W also, but some people have said its picture is nothing special, so I'm a bit hesitant.

I spoke with Benq about my G2400WD and specifically asked if I had a dead pixel in the monitor, they said that it would be concidered defective and would help me RMA it, as long as it was with in 14 days.

That's very interesting. I have to check what's BenQ's dead pixel policy in my country ;)

Which country is this in? Does this apply everywhere?

btw is there actually any BenQ reps in the forum that might be able to get me a better deal on the monitor in Australia?

Bump.

This thread has had 400+ views yet only 15 votes. Come on guys PLEASE vote if you view the thread or at least give an opinion if you don't like polls.

Also, forget about the Australian prices I listed, maybe that is stopping some of you from posting. I need some more opinions ASAP please.

Also, feel free to include other 24" monitors above my max price point. Let's make the max 500USD.

I want to use the monitor for watching movies, gaming, web browsing, maybe some office work type stuff, basically general usage I guess. I don't think I'll be doing any photo work or anything like that.

Btw just out of curiosity since I've never owned an LCD before do photos look a lot worse on a 6 bit TN panel than on an 8 bit panel? Where do you start noticing major differences between the 6 bit and 8 bit panels? Would color differences be really noticeable in general usage?

Btw just out of curiosity since I've never owned an LCD before do photos look a lot worse on a 6 bit TN panel than on an 8 bit panel? Where do you start noticing major differences between the 6 bit and 8 bit panels? Would color differences be really noticeable in general usage?

It really depends on personal taste, but I think many TN monitor are quite good and can be further adjusted, so don't worry if you just adjust family photos or pictures for web.

As I said, I'd probably go for G2400W. I think there are not better TNs, they are pretty good considering their price and technology limitations. Personally I'd skip S-PVAs and go for NEC 2490/2690, but these are a way expensive and their input lag may not be suitable for hardcore gaming.

It really depends on personal taste, but I think many TN monitor are quite good and can be further adjusted, so don't worry if you just adjust family photos or pictures for web.

As I said, I'd probably go for G2400W. I think there are not better TNs, they are pretty good considering their price and technology limitations. Personally I'd skip S-PVAs and go for NEC 2490/2690, but these are a way expensive and their input lag may not be suitable for hardcore gaming.

many TN monitor are quite good and can be further adjusted
Examples, please, examples. What is "many"?
How many of them are reliably reviewed (of countless TN models invaded the market) with more or less positive mark?
For most of 22" TNs and smaller the best reason to buy are the smaller box and location closer to the exit from Costco.

don't worry if you just adjust family photos or pictures for web
:) It depends. My family photos are more important for me than all professional photos in the world taken together. That's why I use the best monitor in the consumer market for my family photos and home movies.

Bump.

This thread has had 400+ views yet only 15 votes. Come on guys PLEASE vote if you view the thread or at least give an opinion if you don't like polls.

Also, forget about the Australian prices I listed, maybe that is stopping some of you from posting. I need some more opinions ASAP please.

Also, feel free to include other 24" monitors above my max price point. Let's make the max 500USD.

I want to use the monitor for watching movies, gaming, web browsing, maybe some office work type stuff, basically general usage I guess. I don't think I'll be doing any photo work or anything like that.

This thread has had 400+ views yet only 15 votes.
It's not surprising.
You are wasting time this way. Polls do not work for this - whom shall I marry: Jeanett, Colett or Polett?:)

What monitor to choose has to be your informative decision.
Please do your homework first.
Read about panels.
Read about monitors.
Reviews.
More reviews.
Even more reviews.
Pay attention to detailed non-professional reviews as well (Example1, Example2)
Study this, look at recommendations.
All that is done and published for you.
Choosing the right monitor is a hard work. Don't forget to visit your local computer stores from time to time to visualize what you study.
Once you have studied all that, you are prepared to get help from others. If you still need it...

Oh, albovin with his expert knowledge, yet unable to understand, that it is important, what do people ask for. Ice009 is clearly asking for relatively cheap TN monitor. And they can be used for family photos, after all, it is more imporant to take good shots with a quality DSLR, then to adjust them later.

I'm Australian and I recently bought a G2400W and I couldn't be happier with it. Ice009 I highly doubt you'll notice much difference if any between an 8bit and a 6bit panel. For general usage including gaming and watching movies the G2400W excels brilliantly. Btw which state are you in?

Thanks for the replies guys.

btw I appreciate the help Albovin, but I didn't have time to do tons of research and that's one reason I started the thread. The other reason was like Biges said I was just looking for a cheaper TN panel. Thanks for you advise too Biges and Tisb0b.

The reason I bought this thread back up again is after I had decided on the BenQ G2400W (thanks to this thread) in the last day or so I found that I can get a great deal on the Dell 2408WFP here in Australia that I'm willing to stretch the budget a little more for it.

So now it's between the Dell 2408WFP Vs the BenQ. What do you guys think? I've read some of the Dell thread and it seems like it has problems with input lag. Having said that would you still get this over the BenQ? I do plan to game a lot.

Dell 2408WFP seems to be a real junk compared do BenQ G2400W (or G2400WD to be more specific):
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=304&p1=2943&ma2=88&ph=12

Yeah I read a little bit in the Dell 2408WFP thread last night. Is it really that bad? So I'm better off with the cheaper BenQ for now then?

I wish you could get the DoubleSight and other good monitors in Australia. I would actually be willing to pay more if the Monitor was high quality. You can't even get half the S-IPS monitors in Australia. There only great 26" Monitor I've seen for sale here is at an online store the NEC 2690WUXi-BK which is $1679. Way too expensive for me. If was close to $1000 I'd consider it.

That's why I listed the BenQ and a low budget cause there are hardly any quality monitors worth spending money on over here.

I also wish the Dell 2408wfp didnt have so many problems. It has all the features I want at a reasonable price.

Back