mormok

n00b
Hi
Total newbie
We are faced with having to choose between these 2 cards:
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX5600XT-T6G-GAMING GDDR6
or
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D 16GB -NDA 25/11

- Asrock is approx. 70-80% more expensive. Is it worth the money ??

- Is it better to buy it a little cheaper and then upgrade in a few years ??

- Will the ASRock have a significantly longer shelf life in relation to which games can be played

It's probably mostly about value for money.

144 mhz screen
cpu AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. I think

Right now kid is playing
Sea of thieves
Satisfactory
Red dead redemption

Thanks in advance
Morten

Right now is literally the worst time to have to upgrade a gpu. Prices are stooooopid for even low end cards not to mention a 6800...get the 5600 if you have to get a card right now. Otherwise wait out the gpu shortage and wait until prices come back to sane levels. Unless of course youve found a sick deal on the 6800 or youve got money coming out of your ears...

Right now is literally the worst time to have to upgrade a gpu. Prices are stooooopid for even low end cards not to mention a 6800...get the 5600 if you have to get a card right now. Otherwise wait out the gpu shortage and wait until prices come back to sane levels. Unless of course youve found a sick deal on the 6800 or youve got money coming out of your ears...
No ears running with money.... The 6800 I have to pay 1000 usd for. Dont know if thats insane...?? Brand new.

Perhaps buy your kid an Xbox Series X and upgrade the PC later. Graphics cards are off the charts expensive right now (and unavailable) due to many things. Cryoto mining, Covid, everyone being stuck indoors.

A Xbox series X console at $500 is a heck of a value and almost the same speed as a 6800 based PC. The Xbox series X can also cross play with some games (console players can play with PC players) like Sea of Thieves for instance.

Paying $1000 for a 6800 is insane IMO. (Since you say saving money is a priority.). The 6800 was released with a MSRP of $580.

If you are definitely going the PC route and you can find a 1080TI for $400 or so on the used market, (try Facebook marketplace, eBay, Craigslist etc) that’ll play anything, and still holds its own. It’s a 2017 flagship Nvidia GPU and still very capable.

Or try for a 3060FE for $329 in a month or so when it releases at Best Buy, or try to snag a 3060ti FE for $400 at bestbuy now.

Last edited:
No ears running with money.... The 6800 I have to pay 1000 usd for. Dont know if thats insane...?? Brand new.
if you have 1000 to spend....buy you somthing cheap to hold you over untill you can manage to find a merchant that is actually selling at least close to normal msrp. I would love to buy a 6800 as well but will not in any way help make a scalper money or over pay at a merchant.

Perhaps buy your kid an Xbox Series X and upgrade the PC later. Graphics cards are off the charts expensive right now (and unavailable) due to many things. Cryoto mining, Covid, everyone being stuck indoors.

A Xbox series X console at $500 is a heck of a value and almost the same speed as a 6800 based PC. The Xbox series X can also cross play with some games (console players can play with PC players) like Sea of Thieves for instance.

Paying $1000 for a 6800 is insane IMO. (Since you say saving money is a priority.). The 6800 was released with a MSRP of $580.

If you are definitely going the PC route and you can find a 1080TI for $400 or so on the used market, (try Facebook marketplace, eBay, Craigslist etc) that’ll play anything, and still holds its own. It’s a 2017 flagship Nvidia GPU and still very capable.

Or try for a 3060FE for $329 in a month or so when it releases at Best Buy, or try to snag a 3060ti FE for $400 at bestbuy now.

At the moment we have a gtx 1050 ti. Could wait, but who knows when "value for money" card is back..... Hmmm..

I gotcha. Still, over paying for the 5600xt vs the 6800 will hurt far less and should carry you through the next 6 to 12 months while you(and the rest of the gpu buying world) wait for pricing to normalize some. If you check out the amd and nvidia sections there are some buying guides that may help you find a higher end card for a decent price if you have the time and patience for it.

At the moment we have a gtx 1050 ti. Could wait, but who knows when "value for money" card is back..... Hmmm..
I assume plenty of people here have been finding somewhat decent deals on new radeon cards and it just takes time and effort. I figure the 6800 will be worth about 500 come next year so if you want to spend a grand on one thats up to you. Me personly I woulnt spend a dollar over 700 out of principle alone (for a 6800), but i have a decent card that only cost me around 300 to hold me over for the time being.

Back