Which ATX 3.0 power supply? (Ordered the MSI MEG Ai1300 Platinum)

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
I'm honestly getting so tired of all the power supplies being out of stock and they're not being enough selection. I see the thermal take gf3 for some reason is all in stock why? Should I buy it? Anything wrong with it? Why is it the only one in stock? I know see Sonic has a better reputation, but anything particularly specifically bad about the thermaltake gf3 series? I'm tempted to just buy the 1650 and get it over with.

my last TT psu lasted until just after warranty, then popped. other than that...
TPU did give that unit 5 stars though.

Anyone else wanna chime in about the Thermaltake Tough power GF3 power supplies? I'm tired of waiting for Seasonic and MSI they have been sold out for months. Tempted to just buy a 1650 GF3 any reason I shouldn't?

Anyone else wanna chime in about the Thermaltake Tough power GF3 power supplies? I'm tired of waiting for Seasonic and MSI they have been sold out for months. Tempted to just buy a 1650 GF3 any reason I shouldn't?
I haven't heard of any issues with them. I got tired of waiting and finally got my FSP unit which I'm happy with, but if it's any consolation I would have went with the TT unit you're considering if it was available at the time.

I haven't heard of any issues with them. I got tired of waiting and finally got my FSP unit which I'm happy with, but if it's any consolation I would have went with the TT unit you're considering if it was available at the time.
FSP? Is that ATX 3.0? Which one did you get?

So reading the reviews about the Thermaltake GF3 series the biggest con is that it is lacking OTP? Over temperature protection? It has all the other protections but not the over temperature protection specifically. So if it overheats to the point of burning It'll catch on fire lmao. Fml. Hmmm????

Never mind found documentation about the GF3 1650 that verifies that it in fact does have all the protections.

Attachments

• TOUGHPOWER_GF3_1350_1650W_manual.pdf
    14.4 MB · Views: 0
I canceled my preorder for the Seasonic Vertex 1200 and ordered the Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650 ATX 3.0 PCI E 5 power supply that has not 1 but 2 16pin high power connectors. That's a wrap. Next weekend I should have this whole build done.

FSP? Is that ATX 3.0? Which one did you get?
I got the updated version of this one. It seems to have been a limited run as once they sold out the listing was removed. You should be fine with the Thermaltake unit you purchased.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had the 1650W version and took it back after a week. My pc kept rebooting during gaming and when I took it back to Microcenter, the rep told me it could be drawing too much power from the wall causing my pc to freak out and reboot. It also gets loud during gaming. It doesn't turn off right away when the pc is off, it stays on for like 10-15 seconds to cool off. I've since switched over to the MSI MPG 1K PSU and been surprise that it's only $200 and out performed the $300 Thermaltake. It only has 1 12VHPWR cable and it's enough for now. It's been almost 2 weeks and no random reboot during any of my gaming. Maybe my unit was defected, who knows.

I had the 1650W version and took it back after a week. My pc kept rebooting during gaming and when I took it back to Microcenter, the rep told me it could be drawing too much power from the wall causing my pc to freak out and reboot. It also gets loud during gaming. It doesn't turn off right away when the pc is off, it stays on for like 10-15 seconds to cool off. I've since switched over to the MSI MPG 1K PSU and been surprise that it's only $200 and out performed the $300 Thermaltake. It only has 1 12VHPWR cable and it's enough for now. It's been almost 2 weeks and no random reboot during any of my gaming. Maybe my unit was defected, who knows.
That's interesting.

Funny thing is the MSI MEG AI1300W Platinum power supply is back up to put in an order for backorder (2/15) so I canceled the Thermaltake and the Seasonic and going to wait for the MSI Meg Plat 1300 model because that's the one I initially wanted to mate with my MSI 4090 Gaming X GPU lmao I'm so over this power supply bullshit It's proven to be more of a pain in the ass over getting the damn 4090 😂

I got the only TT 1000w GF3 the other day from Micro Center for my upcoming build, but also have a 1,200w Vertex on order from the Egg. I think I will return the TT to Micro Center next week. I read through a review on the GF3 and although the review wasn't bad, it wasn't spectacular either. It was, however, only $199. The 1,200 Vertex is $289.

That's interesting.

Funny thing is the MSI MEG AI1300W Platinum power supply is back up to put in an order for backorder (2/15) so I canceled the Thermaltake and the Seasonic and going to wait for the MSI Meg Plat 1300 model because that's the one I initially wanted to mate with my MSI 4090 Gaming X GPU lmao I'm so over this power supply bullshit It's proven to be more of a pain in the ass over getting the damn 4090 😂
I just picked up the 1K version yesterday from Microcenter and it seems they're already sold out. I took back the MPG as I prefer the MEG version.

Last edited:
MSI power supplies are made my Channel Well Technologies (CWT) Is that the same OEM as the FSP units?

MSI power supplies are made my Channel Well Technologies (CWT) Is that the same OEM as the FSP units?
Ugh, ty for catching that. Fumbly fingers on my part. Nope, CWT isn't the same and your right they are the oem for MSI. FSP is a completely different company. Their ($199) 1000w ATX 3.0 unit reviewed well and is GOLD rated. They are ALOT better priced to boot.
They also have plat rated ATX 3.0 units now.

Edit- gold/plat ratings.

Last edited:
I really wanted the 1300W cause I have a 1200 ATX2 on the shelf so I was going to go ATX3 i wanted it to feel like more of an upgrade lol
I went from an EVGA 1200W P2 to the FSP. No regrets for me, but I understand where you are coming from. I would have gone a little higher if one was available, but these power supplies were pretty sparse at that time.

Just got the email for the MSI Meg Ai 1300 Platinum ATX3.0 PS that was just converted from backorder to a processed order today. If anyone wants one now might be a good time to order it.

Wow that was fast lol ok nevermind 🤐
People are waiting in the wings for these power supplies it seems. Don't overlook this one. I have the same unit powering my main system and it's been rock solid.

I wasn't aware of them and not sure how they stack up, but the German company Be!Quiet (known for fans and air coolers but with a wider range of PSUs and cases among others) apparently has the Dark Pro 13 series which is apparently ATX 3.0 / PCI-E 5.0 compliant and even Titanium rated! The only downside is they seem to top out at 1000w, which is a little unfortunate for a Titanium. https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/dark-power-13/4040 .

Corsair also seems to have a new lineup of PSUs for ATX 3.0, called SHIFT and are part of the RMx series. Gold rated, they max out at 1200w and the SHIFT series have the plugs on the side of the PSU instead of the normal "front"; the usefulness of this will vary depending on the build I'm sure. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Fully-Modular-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020254-NA

So ultimately I'm not sure how all of these stack up to the likes of the Seasonic (GX-1200 seems to be backordered at Newgg until the end of March? Is this long a wait accurate or are they fulfilling them bit by bit in a queue of sorts?) , MSI, Asus (note- I don't see the Loki in stock anywhere, but I see orders planning to ship in late March ) and other ATX 3.0 offerings, much less comparisons to higher end older designs that /may/ be equal or better than some ATX 3.0 designs (the one that comes to mind is the Corsair AX1600i, designed to be "overengineered" by none other than JonnyGuru himself if memory serves) and the missing or delayed items soon to come (ie Seasonic Platinum PX series is supposed to be late Q2! EVGA doesn't have any ATX 3.0 despite their new freed resources for not supporting Nvidia GPUs any longer etc).

I wasn't aware of them and not sure how they stack up, but the German company Be!Quiet (known for fans and air coolers but with a wider range of PSUs and cases among others) apparently has the Dark Pro 13 series which is apparently ATX 3.0 / PCI-E 5.0 compliant and even Titanium rated! The only downside is they seem to top out at 1000w, which is a little unfortunate for a Titanium. https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/dark-power-13/4040 .

Corsair also seems to have a new lineup of PSUs for ATX 3.0, called SHIFT and are part of the RMx series. Gold rated, they max out at 1200w and the SHIFT series have the plugs on the side of the PSU instead of the normal "front"; the usefulness of this will vary depending on the build I'm sure. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Fully-Modular-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020254-NA

So ultimately I'm not sure how all of these stack up to the likes of the Seasonic (GX-1200 seems to be backordered at Newgg until the end of March? Is this long a wait accurate or are they fulfilling them bit by bit in a queue of sorts?) , MSI, Asus (note- I don't see the Loki in stock anywhere, but I see orders planning to ship in late March ) and other ATX 3.0 offerings, much less comparisons to higher end older designs that /may/ be equal or better than some ATX 3.0 designs (the one that comes to mind is the Corsair AX1600i, designed to be "overengineered" by none other than JonnyGuru himself if memory serves) and the missing or delayed items soon to come (ie Seasonic Platinum PX series is supposed to be late Q2! EVGA doesn't have any ATX 3.0 despite their new freed resources for not supporting Nvidia GPUs any longer etc).
Honestly don't really need more then 1000w.

Honestly don't really need more then 1000w.
The only argument that could be made is if you have a heavily overclocked 13900k or KS along with a RTX 4090 that is also overclocked and using maximum power output topped off with multiple ssds water pumps all sorts of fans breakout boxes rgb's and whatever else extras then there could be a case made for wanting a little bit more than a thousand Watts which is basically my case therefore I opted for the 1300 instead because of the extra headroom and the Platinum rating

Last edited:
The only argument that could be madeIs is if you have a heavily overclocked 13,900k or KS along with a RTX 4090 that is also overclocked and using maximum power output topped off with multiple ssds water pumps all sorts of fans breakout boxes rgb's and whatever else extras then there could be a case made for wanting a little bit more than a thousand Watts which is basically my case therefore I opted for the 1300 instead because of the extra headroom and the Platinum rating
Edge case. Generally 1000w is plenty for 99% of the PC out there. You still wouldn't be pulling more then 1000w in games.

My main system pulls around 870W, but I like the headroom that the 1200W provides. For most people 1000W is plenty though.

I've usually made 1000w my target for years, but considering that even generic wattage calculators suggest that users with higher end hardware actually target for 1000w, I'd like a bit more room. The latest CPUs can have high power demands especially when overclocked, but the newest generations of GPUs like the 4090 actually list 850w PSUs as the requirement (the AMD 7900XTX requires 800w minimum) that's pretty significant. Sure, a high quality 1000w would probably work out fine in some builds with those components + a variety of ancillary enthusiast hardware, but it doesn't feel like the same kind of leeway that it used to a few generations back.

I've been running 1000+ watt PSUs for years as well. Like RanceJustice alluded to, many gamers/enthusiasts have made 1000w+ units and high end rigs the norm for 10 or 12 years now. My first was back in 2011 or 12, a Seasonic X-1050. Shes still running solid as a rock in my back up rig (as I type this). Knock on wood.
;)
I attribute that longevity largely to being a quality unit and secondly to having been cared for properly. I'll keep over provisioning all of my future PSUs if I can expect that kind of life span...within reason of course.

Back