Which 256Gb SSD for SATA1 (150)?

Ronco

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm wondering if all SATA SSD's can translate their performance backwards - i.e. if a 300MB/sec or 600MB/sec write SSD can run at 150MB/sec on a SATA1 interface, or if there are some performance penalties with backwards compatibility with some controllers that can make some run slower than the interface.

I'm after a 256Gb SSD to stick on an ancient Vista laptop that has some fairly read-write-intensive software on it (and for reasons of specific hardware would be kinda a major hassle to move to anything newer or VM) and I'd like to get the best performance that I'm going to get out of this setup.

SATA is backward compatible. I know for a fact that SATA III drives work fine in SATA II interfaces (at least Intel ports) however I have never tested any in an SATA I interface.

SATA is backward compatible. I know for a fact that SATA III drives work fine in SATA II interfaces (at least Intel ports) however I have never tested any in an SATA I interface.

Yes, of course I'm aware of that. The question was whether drive I/O speeds differ/suffer beyond the limit of the interface speed when it steps down on any drives.

e.g. a 250Gb 750 EVO reads at 550/530 sequential, and 40/140 4K. The question is, when I stick it on a SATA1 interface will it be ~150/~150 and 40/140, or does the stepping down take an additional performance hit?

Yes, of course I'm aware of that. The question was whether drive I/O speeds differ/suffer beyond the limit of the interface speed when it steps down on any drives.

e.g. a 250Gb 750 EVO reads at 550/530 sequential, and 40/140 4K. The question is, when I stick it on a SATA1 interface will it be ~150/~150 and 40/140, or does the stepping down take an additional performance hit?

Why would it? If there is any variance it will be based on the usage of the bandwidth available to that SATA port.

Therotically it will be only able to go up to the speed limit of the port. Obviously real world usage will vary.

I have an 850 EVO 1TB running on SATA1 on a Dell SC1435 right now in a development environment. I get 125MB/sec sequential read/write. The SATA ports on this are really IDE, so it is a absolute worst case scenario you can achieve. IDE mode means that the drive queue's go to shit.

In fact, I'll run Crystal Mark just for you:
Untitled.png

Same drive(well, same batch), in my XPS-8900 on a real Intel SATA3 Controller:
Untitled1.png

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that, answered pretty much all the questions I had.

I have an 850 EVO 1TB running on SATA1 on a Dell SC1435 right now in a development environment. I get 125MB/sec sequential read/write. The SATA ports on this are really IDE, so it is a absolute worst case scenario you can achieve. IDE mode means that the drive queue's go to shit.

In fact, I'll run Crystal Mark just for you:
View attachment 15722

]
Not to change the topic but how did you get the read and write speeds to show up on task manager. When I view task manager I only get a percentage.

Not to change the topic but how did you get the read and write speeds to show up on task manager. When I view task manager I only get a percentage.

Might be a feature of 2012R2 task manager. I don't remember doing anything special except for diskperf -Y

Back