where to get 8.1 install ISO? HAVE VALID KEY!!

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
Wanted to at least have an example of the latest environment running here. Bought a valid key off fs/t here, planning on installing on a lappy currently running ubuntu.

Used to be you could just go to digital river and download the 7 ISO all day long totally legit, but I can't seem to find a source for the 8.1 ISO.

I have a good key but all I can find are upgrade portals.

Been clicking in circles here, please help

Wanted to at least have an example of the latest environment running here. Bought a valid key off fs/t here, planning on installing on a lappy currently running ubuntu.

Used to be you could just go to digital river and download the 7 ISO all day long totally legit, but I can't seem to find a source for the 8.1 ISO.

I have a good key but all I can find are upgrade portals.

Been clicking in circles here, please help

There is no legal source, besides the Windows 8 original digital download. I know you can get 7 from Digital River still, 8 was never released for mass download from third party servers.

ffs

if they want me to adopt it why do they make it hard?

ffs

if they want me to adopt it why do they make it hard?

Believe me I thought the EXACT same thing.

I literally had to install Windows 8, and then upgrade to 8.1 each time.

There are a few "work arounds" on the net, but honestly after hours of trying what they suggested, I was just better off installing 8 then 8.1

Some people have had success, I personally did not.

Its a pain in the butt, unless something has recently changed in the last 3 or so weeks.

Windows 7 was MUUUUUCH easier to legally obtain and install.

Don't get me started on all the stupid, unnecessary hoops MS make you jump through to achieve a clean Windows 8.1 install.

That said, if you check out the MyDigitalLife forums, they have links to the MSDN/Technet Win8.1 ISOs there (or at least the leaked Wzor/WZT ISOs which are bit-for-bit identical) - look for the sticky thread entitled "The Windows 8.1 (& related) Repository." Also note that if you have a Windows 8 product key it won't work during the setup stage - you have to use a temporary placeholder key (Google is your friend) and then change to your own product key after the installation is complete.

There was a link to the Windows 8.1 (64-bit Pro) RTM ISO here in the forums, well not a direct link but the user pointed you in the correct direction on Google.

The only problem I had was that my key-- Windows 8 Pro 64-bit-- didn't work for some reason. I may have done something wrong and will test it again.

OK, THANK YOU!!

one more question having read that

given that the target machine is running linux now I am guessing I will have to perform this process on another win7 box, if I enter my key there to get the download...will it tie the key to that box?

Back