When did Water Cooling go Metric?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So, I was poking around the internerd today looking to order a few extra fittings just in case I need them when I install my new GPU.

It struck me as odd that everything was listed in metric.

When I started this hobby there were several sizes of tubing (and matching fittings) to choose from 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", you name it.

I went with 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing as it seemed like the best compromise size. Large enough to flow well, small enough to be easy to work with.

Now everything is listed in mm.

My 3/8" IF, 1/2" OD is 9.525mm ID and 12.7mm OD, but I don't see those precise measurements anywhere.

I've seen both 10mm ID 13mm OD and 10mm ID, 12mm OD.

Does anyone know if these are close enough to fit? Like within the tolerance range?

Appreciate any thoughts.

I mean, soft tubing is usually never really the size it's advertised as so that should be fine, people used to put 3/8 ID tubing on 1/2 barbs.. For hard tubing you'd want to match though.

I just get my tubing at the local truvalue. It is always imperial.

On the barbs, as long as the clamps are tight you should be fine.

If your running compression fittings od matters in that it can make getting the sleeve on some what harder. Inside diameter wont matter much. If you can stick with the same brand of fittings as your originals it'll take the guesswork out of it. For the most part the differences are so small it shouldn't matter much.

I noticed the metric change happen around the time that hardline became really popular. I don't think much if any of it is sourced in the US so it was all labelled using the metric system. There used to be manufacturers that listed both but most have gotten lazy over the years.
Since then most fittings and other parts have followed suit.

Back