What's your opinion on keeping phone on car charger while using Google Maps for long time.

Supersnake

[H]ard|Gawd
Am planning an 8 hour road trip, will be using Google Maps with the Location Setting turned on during the trip.
What's your opinion on keeping the phone plugged into the car charger during the entire trip? Will it do any harm? Won't be using the phone for any other purposes while it is plugged in.

Last edited:
Am planning an 8 hour road trip, will be using Google Maps with the Location Setting turned on during the trip.
What's your opinion on keeping the phone plugged into the car charger during the entire trip? Will it do any harm? Won't be using the phone for any other purposes other than Google Maps.
Why would it do any harm? Any current phone will have safe guards in place to avoid a over temp situation. Nothing to worry about.

If anything, make sure its not in the direct sunlight for long periods of time especially while charging with the screen on (GPS etc)

What's your opinion on keeping the phone plugged into the car charger during the entire trip? Will it do any harm? Won't be using the phone for any other purposes other than Google Maps.

Only do it if you want your phone to last for the whole trip ;)

the only concerns i could seem to find was cheap chargers shorting out and "unclean" voltage, like in a house.
I always read it was bad for the battery's capacity to leave it on a charger while in constant use like that. Probably outdated knowledge at this point.

I always read it was bad for the battery's capacity to leave it on a charger while in constant use like that. Probably outdated knowledge at this point.
it used to with lithium-ion, but new ones arent supposed to have that issue and phone charging circuits are way more intelligent now too, so they will just trickle charge as needed if full.

Thank you all for your input and information (y)

I wanted to hear if there was any information supporting not using a car charger for extended times, while using GPS and Google Maps with screen display on. Using an established name brand charger, avoiding ambient heat, and realizing that current phones have built in safeguards to avoid over heating, were points well taken.

Since my charger is a Scosche CPDC30 PowerVolt 30-Watt Charger, and phone is the Xperia 1 iii, I subsequently feel confident for car charging it for an extended time.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have driven halfway across the country several times over the past few years, and the only problem I had was not having a fast charger for the phone; this resulted in the charger not being able to keep up with maps and music, and I had to cycle my usage to let the battery slowly trickle back up so I could have the map during critical junctions. With the proper fast charger it worked just fine.

As for not keeping the Li ion batteries topped up all the time, I consider the phone a consumable, so if an extended road trip results in a slightly reduced battery capacity then that is just the price of using it.

I have driven halfway across the country several times over the past few years, and the only problem I had was not having a fast charger for the phone; this resulted in the charger not being able to keep up with maps and music, and I had to cycle my usage to let the battery slowly trickle back up so I could have the map during critical junctions. With the proper fast charger it worked just fine.

As for not keeping the Li ion batteries topped up all the time, I consider the phone a consumable, so if an extended road trip results in a slightly reduced battery capacity then that is just the price of using it.
That's the experience I was hoping to hear. I'll go along with your perception too with a slight modification, for me if an extended road trip results in a slightly reduced battery capacity then I feel that the phone has served it's purpose.

Was just thinking, my journey will be a 16 hour round trip; if I really wanted to assist the battery, I could always unplug it from the charger when it reaches 80% and resume charging when it reaches 20%. I have the AccuBattery app installed, will be interesting to see what it calculates for the beginning and end of trip remaining battery life.

Last edited:
Was just thinking, regarding the matter of topping or not topping the phone during my travel (which will be a 16 hour round trip); if I really wanted to assist the battery, I could always unplug it from the charger when it reaches 80% and resume charging when it reaches 20%. I have the AccuBattery app installed, will be interesting to see what it calculates for the beginning and end of trip remaining battery life.

You might also check to see if there are any apps that allow you to set a charge limit on the phone.

You might also check to see if there are any apps that allow you to set a charge limit on the phone.
Thanks for reminding me! Xperia devices have that function built into the system and I had it set to stop charging at 80%. Now I won't have to plug and unplug it from the charger. I'll just leave it plugged and the phone will maintain the battery at 80%.

1.jpg

Last edited:
I do 20 hour drives with the phone plugged in. I don’t worry about it. If the phone can’t deal with that it’s a POS.

If you are worried still, just unplug it now and then and let it drain a little, even modern phones you are best to not always have it 100% charged all the time, will have to find the article, but modern phones batteries are best at about 70% charged most of the time, if you are at 80% + no reason to plug it in to charge all the time. Think this is because most people just always plug their phones in as soon as it is at like 90% worried they need the battery.

I am one of the few people that prefer their phone mounted on the left of the steering wheel, I use a dash mount that keeps the phone half over the vent on that side, works great during the summer to keep the phone cool with the AC on. Not so much during the winter tho... I just close down the vent then.

Back