What's the truthful reason(s) for the GPU shortage?

It did go slower back then. Remember counting seconds by saying 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 at a nice leisurely pace?

Right now, look at your watch and count the seconds using the same method. You literally need to rush through your words. Something changed.
I just tested that, and you are right - saying it that way doesn't even keep up with the seconds on the clock, and I vividly remember doing this just a few years ago and the seconds actually took longer.
I definitely don't remember having to speed through saying 1-1000, 2-1000, etc. - what the hell???

f sakes.. is it that bad..
This card isn't even working... according to the listing

1622217413648.png

f sakes.. is it that bad..
This card isn't even working... according to the listing

View attachment 360606

Depends how exactly it's "not working". Dead fans? Buy it and replace the fans. Maybe a broken output port? Who cares.
But yeah if the card physically doesn't run, it's most likely buyers not reading the description. If the seller has optional returns enabled, he's probably screwed. Otherwise if not, the seller can just claim the card was correctly advertised.

Many modern Western companies don't seem to be able to see beyond their 'noses'. Current GPU retailers are a classic example. They're grabbing as much money as they can...as quickly as they can. The two big card manufacturers shold have stepped in long ago to quell this behavior. A company like AMD has a lot more to lose by allowing board partners to engage in this conduct. AMD especially need to understand that if you cannot get the most essential component for building a new PC, it has an overall domino effect on sales of other components. AMD is especially prone since they also offer CPUs and chipsets. Nvidia really doesn't offer any such components so it is not an issue for them. If for the sake of argument.... a GPU isn't available for purchase then there is no need to buy any other component...not a motherboard and certainly not a CPU. If the consumer is simply upgrading, then it is not really a problem. That said...the real money for component suppliers comes in the form of sales of new parts as in a full system build. Any companies looking at long-term customer loyalty would have addressed the distribution issue a long time ago. Getting GPUs into the hands of as many users as possible has the effect that they talk about it to others. That in turn causes those people to go out and buy more. It is the ultimate in product exposure to gain market share. A miner charging three time the retail while slowly 'trickling' cards to a select few with deep pockets, can never offer that same level of exposure. It actually has the opposite effect while also leaving a bad taste to consumers.

Many modern Western companies don't seem to be able to see beyond their 'noses'. Current GPU retailers are a classic example. They're grabbing as much money as they can...as quickly as they can. The two big card manufacturers shold have stepped in long ago to quell this behavior. A company like AMD has a lot more to lose by allowing board partners to engage in this conduct.

Getting GPUs into the hands of as many users as possible has the effect that they talk about it to others. That in turn causes those people to go out and buy more. It is the ultimate in product exposure to gain market share. A miner charging three time the retail while slowly 'trickling' cards to a select few with deep pockets, can never offer that same level of exposure. It actually has the opposite effect while also leaving a bad taste to consumers.
Why don't you found a video card company that behaves ethically? Sounds like you have a brilliant business mind. I will be your first customer.

It did go slower back then. Remember counting seconds by saying 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 at a nice leisurely pace?

Right now, look at your watch and count the seconds using the same method. You literally need to rush through your words. Something changed.

I just tested that, and you are right - saying it that way doesn't even keep up with the seconds on the clock, and I vividly remember doing this just a few years ago and the seconds actually took longer.
I definitely don't remember having to speed through saying 1-1000, 2-1000, etc. - what the hell???

I am glad I am not the only one who feels like this. I just tested too and holy shit. Is it the perception difference from kid to adult. Is it the passage of time just feeling faster the older you get? Is it actually going faster? I don't know, but what the hell!?

I am glad I am not the only one who feels like this. I just tested too and holy shit. Is it the perception difference from kid to adult. Is it the passage of time just feeling faster the older you get? Is it actually going faster? I don't know, but what the hell!?
Yeah. I remember a while ago realizing that even individual seconds seem to past more quickly than they used to. Weird.
I think that my own perception of time started shifting sharply at around 20, and time has felt like it's been getting faster and faster since.

My turn has finally come and however I am infrerring from this wording that they are going to go back on thier word and jack the price on me. "
"We are happy to announce that your Step-Up request has completed the queue process. EVGA will now review your request by looking over your invoice. Any adjustments to the price will occur at this step. If you are approved, you will receive another email with instructions to pay for your Step-Up.

Once your request has been approved, you will have 7 days to pay for your Step-Up. If you do not pay for your Step-Up within this time frame, your request will expire and you will only be able to resubmit a Step-Up request if you are still within 90 days of the original purchase date."

My turn has finally come and however I am infrerring from this wording that they are going to go back on thier word and jack the price on me. "
"We are happy to announce that your Step-Up request has completed the queue process. EVGA will now review your request by looking over your invoice. Any adjustments to the price will occur at this step. If you are approved, you will receive another email with instructions to pay for your Step-Up.

Once your request has been approved, you will have 7 days to pay for your Step-Up. If you do not pay for your Step-Up within this time frame, your request will expire and you will only be able to resubmit a Step-Up request if you are still within 90 days of the original purchase date."
Think more along the lines of the price being adjusted to accommodate the value of the card you are stepping up from.

Back